Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#243991 - 03/30/12 01:56 PM Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 4
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Part 3 was already 8 pages long, and with March ending and April beginning, it is a good time to start Part 4, I thought.

As I mentioned in my last post in Part 3, DD and I went to the Asian grocery store, yesterday, and stocked up on snacks for DD to take to campus when she starts spring quarter on Monday.

Now, I have to start menu planning, so that I won't have to stand in the kitchen at night wondering what to pack for the next day's lunches! Been doing that a bit too often, lately!

I plan to do a freezer/pantry inventory this weekend and make some menu plans based on what I have on hand.

Anyone else wants to join me? Do share what you plan to make during the first week in April.

#244006 - 03/31/12 03:30 AM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 4 [Re: blessmymess]
mary57 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: va
fri was beef taquitoes, mashed potatoes and corn

sat were going out to dinner so sun will be whatever is left over

mary

#244011 - 03/31/12 11:31 AM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 4 [Re: mary57]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
I did my major shopping trip while down in the nearest city and shipped a lot of food back home(fresh fruit and veggies to start and then I will move to frozen). However, now I need to be creative and use lots of fresh vegetables. Need to organize with a meal plan.

Veggies:
-romaine lettuce
-mushrooms
-asparagus
-broccoli
-cauliflower
-onions
-garlic
-potatoes
-sweet potatoes
-carrots
-parsnips
-turnip

Fruit:
-apples
-oranges
-kiwi
-lemons
-limes

Edited by tinytina (04/01/12 12:37 PM)

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#244017 - 03/31/12 01:51 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 4 [Re: tinytina]
Cyd Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: W. Canada
While I try to follow Bless by checking the freezer/pantry, noting loss leaders in grocery store flyers and creating a menu plan, when I get to the store I buy the fresh produce I like that looks great and wreck my plan. If DH goes to the store it's worse. He 'forgets' the list & heads for the 'International' aisle buying whatever he's never tried!

While I can't seem to shake this horrid cough, I'm finally off meds that were so powerful I couldn't function long enough to complete a task. We are talking about joining family in another city - Good Friday to Easter Monday but until the decision is made, I've planned... baked [BBQ weather permitting] chef salad, salmon fillet, roasted potatoes, asparagus & chocolate mousse.

Sun. ... baked orange chicken, 3 bean salad, rice
Mon. ... Pasta [Fettuccine], chicken/mushroom sauce, green beans
Tues. ... Vietnamese soup,[leftover pasta] fishballs, veg wraps
Wed. ... Paella [leftover rice, chicken, fishballs]
Thur ... Meatless chili, tortilla chips, spinach salad [oranges, sliced hardboiled egg]
Fri-Sat Salmon etc.
Sun. ... Tom Yum Soup, Pad Thai noodles, fruit salad

#244032 - 04/01/12 05:38 AM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 4 [Re: mary57]
mary57 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

sat night i ate everything but the plate <lol>

today i will go grocery shopping and my new plan for dinner will be eating the last of the bbq chicken and slaw

mary

#244042 - 04/01/12 12:43 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 4 [Re: mary57]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Yesterday was pork chops in mushroom soup (used some leftover onions and some fresh mushrooms) served over noodles with some roasted asparagus.

I am going to have steak (marinading in the fridge) for supper. Not sure exactly what my side dishes will be yet.

I am also going to bake/grill some chicken breasts today to make chicken Cesar salad for lunch this week.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#244044 - 04/01/12 01:27 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 4 [Re: mary57]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Mary: You must have been hungry! laugh Good that you have an alternate plan for tonight's dinner!

Tina: When you are planning your menus, keep in mind that certain veggies, like broccoli and carrots, and fruits like apples and oranges, keep fresh longer than the rest. smile

Cyd: So sorry to hear that you have been so ill with your cough. I'm still getting over my cough, too; it's been about 10 days now. I think it is easier for me to stick to the lower priced fresh produce because I have so much from which to choose.

Did a quick freezer inventory, this morning. I have:

Chicken:
1 whole chicken
1 portion roast chicken
1 bag of giblets, etc. for soup
Beef:
3 packets beef curry (took out one to thaw, for tonight's dinner)
4 1/2 packets (approx. 1 lb./packet) cooked ground beef
Sausages:
2 lbs. Polish sausage
1 packet breakfast sausages
Bacon - 4 lbs.! Bought when they went on sale for $3/lb (reg. price is $6+ for bacon, these days; I refuse to pay that much)

Plus:
2 packets of cooked lentils
several bags of frozen vegetables (black eyed peas, corn, green peas, etc.) plus small amounts of onions & celery
4 packets of sliced peaches
1 packet grated coconut
4 3/4 lb. butter
2 lb. walnut halves
10 lb. flour (part of my emergency supplies)

In the main pantry cabinet, I have several cans of tuna & sardines, fruits (peaches, apricots, pears, pineapple, mixed fruit) & vegetables (corn, green peas, green beans, baby corn, garbanzo, breadfruit, 1 tomato sauce), 3 cans of coconut milk, 3 cans condensed milk, 2 jars peanut butter, and a few other items. Much of the canned items are part of my emergency supplies, but, I do incorporate them into my meal plans, on occasion. Another cabinet holds a supply of sugar, also part of my emergency supplies. A 3rd cabinet holds the cereals, crackers, pasta, etc.

#244078 - 04/02/12 01:24 AM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 4 [Re: blessmymess]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Dinner tonight: rice, beef curry, cauliflower, tomato chutney.

Packed up the leftovers for tomorrow's lunches.

I'm planning to go grocery shopping tomorrow - need to buy fresh fruits and vegetables, milk, coffee creamer, etc.

#244079 - 04/02/12 01:31 AM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 4 [Re: tinytina]
mary57 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

i accidentally bought a second lb of bacon sun when i went grocery shopping. i planned to buy it b/c i didn't see it hiding in my freezer. it least it was on SALE, so i don't feel so bad. also on sale were kielbasa and pringles(and to top it oss i had a COUPON for both). i also had a coupon for coffee and lunch meat. i DIDn'T need the coffee, but it will KEEP for when i do

i also got yoghurt, carrots, a tomato, sour cream and 1/2dozen eggs for 30.30.

i ended up dropping the eggs as i locked the door to the car, but mostly they just ran into the carton that they were sitting in. are they still safe to make scrambled eggs?

i ended up eating blt's for brunch and slept thru dinner, so i'll have the bbq chicken and slaw tonight (actually about 3 am)

mary

#244097 - 04/02/12 11:54 AM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 4 [Re: mary57]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Mary, personally, I would not use the broken eggs, since the contents would have come into contact with the outside of the egg shells and the carton, itself.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >