Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#243941 - 03/28/12 01:16 PM SPRING GARDENING
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Spring is here, and, with it, the first roses! My rose bushes were pruned back quite severely, this year, so, it will be mid-April before the majority of them will be in bloom, but I've a couple of first roses, already, and several buds!

Flowers on my orange tree, as well.

We had a good, soaking rain shower last weekend, so the ground is ready to be worked. I need to make time, this weekend, to do some gardening - weeding and preparing planting beds.

I've another piece of sugar cane rooted and ready to be planted and I have a sweet potato which has sprouted, which should be planted, too.

Anybody else planning a spring garden yet?

#243944 - 03/28/12 02:36 PM Re: SPRING GARDENING [Re: blessmymess]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
A lot of our stuff has bloomed like our freesias and we have flowers on our citrus trees but we're holding off a bit on planting our garden. The few things we did plant are being eaten by something and we don't want to put a bunch of money into plants to have them disappear!

We have a large, complex compost system in the backyard and we also back up on to the water treatment plant for the city so there are large water ponds back there. Between the two, I'm guessing there must be rats that are eating everything. We've never seen anything but our dogs also go nuts near the firewood piles and the compost so there's something back there.
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#243948 - 03/28/12 04:05 PM Re: SPRING GARDENING [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
hartbe Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: indiana
It's still a little early for planting here, even though we have had several 80 degree days already. The flowering trees are beautiful, & we a bumper crop of dandelions.

#244398 - 04/09/12 05:26 PM Re: SPRING GARDENING [Re: hartbe]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Spent an hour or so, yesterday evening, watering the garden and admiring the roses. smile Planted a stem of aeonium (a succulant plant) that the cats had broken off. Hope they'll leave it alone long enough for it to take root!

#244606 - 04/16/12 07:02 PM Re: SPRING GARDENING [Re: blessmymess]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Canada
I've been delighting in the crocuses that DS and DDIL planted for me in the fall, all over the yard. They are my little spring surprises, I find a new one or two every day. Also their tulips are starting to come up here and there, so I am hoping they will bloom successfully.

Another lovely surprise yesterday was discovering that the trailing arbutus was in bloom!

The forsythia is starting to bloom, and it is only a matter of time before the amelanchia and wild cherries are blossoming.

Haven't done any actual gardening myself! : D

#244716 - 04/19/12 09:42 AM Re: SPRING GARDENING [Re: Bushlady]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

We desperately need rain! The bush is getting so dry. Yesterday afternoon it occurred to me that the bulbs might enjoy some water so I went round with a watering can and got most of them. Also watered the rhubarb which is coming up nicely in its metal planters. It amazes me how much it loves them!

#244722 - 04/19/12 11:47 AM Re: SPRING GARDENING [Re: Bushlady]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Bushlady, your garden sounds delightful!

We had cooler temps. and rain, last week. This week, we are in the 80s and dry.

I did a bit of weeding on Sunday and watered the front garden on Tues. and the back garden on Wed. (yesterday).

The cats have dug up the piece of sugarcane I planted, but the sweetpotato is still in place! They had pushed down the newly planted aeonium, too, and I found several other pieces that they had broken off from other plants, so I replanted them all. My garden is their playground!

The loquat tree is having fruit and some are just about ripe enough to be picked!

#244724 - 04/19/12 02:43 PM Re: SPRING GARDENING [Re: blessmymess]
Cyd Online   content
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: W. Canada
I've cleaned up the doggie droppings from the patio and swept. The weatherman assures us there will be no snow this weekend so I'm hoping it will be warm enough to clean up the patio containers.

#244857 - 04/23/12 01:57 PM Re: SPRING GARDENING [Re: Cyd]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterford, MI
Bushlady your garden does sound great. I am delighting in NOT doing much other than picking up the leftover messes of winter, the last of the twigs are falling out, trees are starting to bloom, daylilies and hostas coming up nicely and the tulips have bloomed. I did go around the yard applying weed killer to the thistle the birds flying overhead have been so kind to "drop" in my yard, and also went along the fence spraying weed killer there to cleanup the edges so I can cut out some of the overgrowth.

Have talked with SO about a regular garden, but may end up just creating a fire pit this year, not in a hurry as I plan on being here for a while.

#244861 - 04/23/12 03:29 PM Re: SPRING GARDENING [Re: beaglelady]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

My garden is great, but wouldn't win any prizes! I'm so thankful that the bush is well soaked, even if the weather has been miserable on and off, because there was a real fire risk all over.

Our huge garden is mostly wild, except for a few flower beds round the house and bits of lawn along the sides.

Some of my best flowers are weeds! I enjoy looking out for the sheep laurel, the "bird on the wing", the blue bead lilies, ladies slippers and a lot of other delightful plants that I never have to do anything to encourage!

The actual flower beds are a mess, having been neglected while we lived away, but I shall be able to work on them. I did a little in the fall to tidy them up but didn't get too far. I'm looking forward to seeing the lilacs and the lily of the valley.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >