Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#243116 - 03/02/12 10:03 AM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: beaglelady]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
I hear what you're saying BL but I don't have the patience to go from store to store to save small amounts. I try to limit shopping trips to a bare minimum. The other question is are you comparing apples to apples? What size are the eggs and the avocados? The avocados I bought are a good 50% larger than the ones I've seen at the store recently. Are the meats the same quality - choice or prime? The higher quality is really important to us.

You seem to do a great job of stretching your food budget.
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#243150 - 03/02/12 08:16 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
blessmymess Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
I was at Costco today and their extra lean ground beef (88%) was selling for $2.99/lb.; bought the smallest package they had, which was 6+ lbs. Paid $18.70. That's a lot of ground beef for us, but I will package it in approx. 1 lb. packs and freeze.

#243216 - 03/05/12 12:08 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: blessmymess]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterford, MI
Kim, I understand what you are saying about comparing sizes. I do shop locally and watch my values and am a huge comparison shopper. While Costco was charging $8 for 5 avocados, I got ones that were the same size for 50 cents each. Similar deals on most other things too. And believe me, I do buy quality. When I bought the whole loin several weeks ago, it was choice. Steak is not normally in the budget, but at 2.99 versus the 6.99 at Costco, at least I can give myself the splurge...and that is what the bargain shopping allows me to do. I really would rather shop all at one place, but with the big drop in income, it is just not feasible. And... all the stores I shop at are anywhere from one block to just under 2 miles from my house, so it does work better this way. I plan it out on Tuesdays when all the sale flyers for the week arrive.

Bless, the ground beef at costco is all ground fresh there and each batch is tested to make sure the fat percentages are correct.

#243222 - 03/05/12 01:48 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: beaglelady]
Diane D Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Bless, this may be more work than you want, but when I have extra ground beef I wrap them in burger sizes. That way if I want just one for myself for lunch, I just have to pull out one. But if I want more for soup or something, I just pull out a few, and they take less time to defrost.

I had actually wanted to do a post on wholesale clubs. I let my BJ's membership lapse a couple of years ago. It's $45 per year - hah! Make that $50, it went up. <sigh>

Their prices are great. Especially on baking products. I can't find those sizes anywhere else for things like Crisco shortening. And I can certainly get there from one of my jobs one day a week to make it an unwasted trip.

Just not sure it's worth the $50 especially for just two of us. I went in a couple months back and they don't have the cereal he likes or either of our cat food. Maybe his litter but he only has one cat, they don't carry the litter I use.

So meats, cheese, maybe milk (but I don't want to have to be committed to going EVERY week, this should be a once a month thing). Pasta, though I don't eat so much of that any more. Toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant and soap was all a good deal for me, but again that is a years supply. (I don't mind that). I found tp and paper towels for a good price at Target so it doesn't matter where I get those. I bought paper towels fall of 2010 (!!!) and I still have 3-2 rolls left. I am certainly frugal! Just finished the Wesson oil and that was from a very long time ago, still have a bit of Crisco left, that must've been late 09/early 2010. Man that stuff is expensive in the grocery store!!!

So I just don't know..... I've done OK checking out sales for meats lately but it does take some driving some days.

I really hate going to different stores but like BL, it's really the only way I can make things work these days. I will say we've been eating very well. My grocery expenses have gone up though, his have gone down (he used to eat out a lot, I used to eat more popcorn and pasta)

#243238 - 03/06/12 02:12 AM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: Diane D]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Diane, thanks for the tip. smile However, I browned the ground beef, divided it into 6 portions (approx. 1 lb. each) and froze them in plastic freezer bags.

I still need to freeze the leftover roast chicken and noodles from Sat.'s dinner party.

#243252 - 03/06/12 09:22 AM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: blessmymess]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterford, MI
Yes Diane, it really is important to watch the prices. Since I have been home these past few days, I went online to check out prices. another area I was able to save.....milk went on sale at one store for 1.99 (costco-2.49) and the store across the street that I stopped at for fresh fruit(4lb navels for 1.69 and cantaloupes for 99 and grapes also at 99) was offering milk at 1.89. On the way home from that store, pulled into another one and got strawberries for 99/lbfor this week. Since my freezer stock is depleted, I bought enough for eating and restocking. Again, Costco was 8.99 for 4lbs and these were every bit as good.

Last nite we had chicken and seafood alfredo.....colorful peppers, onions, celery and lots of spices(the seafood was the imitation crab & lobster that is on sale for 99 cents from the regular 2.99...needless to say the freezer has been restocked too) Leftovers for lunch for me today and we will have mixture done differently tonite for dinner (I mix the alfredo sauce with the noodles and then scoop the veggie/meat mix on top.)

Bless< I generally do the same as Diane. I portion the meat into quarter pound patties and put in plastic sandwich bags($1 for 250 at dollar store) and put in large freezer container to store. Sometimes if I get great deal on the beef, I will also cook it up and portion it in half pound cooked portions as well. Again, following the kiss principle for SO, he sees it better as an uncooked pattie!

Tonite the meat/veggie mix will be tossed with tomatoes and be used as a topping on a bed of lettuce and cukes.

So's son and friend were also here for dinner last nite(still working on school project) and sent him home with a gallon ziploc bag for dinner for him, sis, and the ex for tonite.And with me being gimped out, his son did all the cutting!

#243331 - 03/08/12 12:56 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: beaglelady]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

I've been trying to use up the leftovers from the party dinner, this week.

Gave some of the extras to my cousin.

Made egg salad for sandwiches from some of the leftover hard-boiled eggs.

Last night, I took some of the leftover rice and roast chicken, added a bit of diced celery and a can of cream of chicken soup (the only item I had to buy), mixed it all together, crushed the last of a bag of potato chips (also leftover from the party) and sprinkled it on top and baked for 30 mins. or so - called it a chicken & rice casserole! DD and I had half of it for dinner and the rest was packed up for our lunches for today.

Edited by blessmymess (03/08/12 12:56 PM)

#243348 - 03/09/12 06:11 AM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: blessmymess]
juju Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Ohio
Bless: You rock - I love you making good food out of what you had!

I stopped at Aldi's yesterday and picked up some fresh items to get us through. Of course I am still on the use what I have program for more money for the Frig Fund.

I have plenty of lasagna frozen from last weekend when DF was in. Picked up some salad to go with and I can make bread in the maker also.

Also, still have some bbq in the freezer that will work for lunches which I only needed buns.

Made some low fat frozen raspberry yogurt since I still had raspberry puree in the freezer so I just needed the yogurt. I am off baking desserts so DH and I can drop a few pds. for summer.

I am going to go through the freezer again this weekend and do some straightening and update what I have left. I'll let you know if I need some creative cooking ideas!!

#243361 - 03/09/12 12:33 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: juju]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
The raspberry yogurt sounds delicious Juju.

The casserole sounds tasty, Bless.

I got some frozen meatballs and spaghetti sauce out of the freezer (I also have some frozen peppers that I will add to the sauce, with some fresh mushrooms and onions and tomato sauce). I also have some frozen garlic bread that I will use.

I'm trying to use through some food especially from my freezers. I did an inventory of my pantry and fridge freezer. Today I want to work on my deep freezer inventory too.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#243429 - 03/11/12 01:44 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: tinytina]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

We had a death in the family, so, all the extras I had leftover from the party were taken over to my cousin's house to help feed all the people who have been coming over each night for prayers, etc. I haven't done any cooking since the casserole on Wed. night! I haven't been home to do any cooking!

Yesterday, however, I went grocery shopping with my DD and bought a few things: milk, vegetables, fruit, some snacks, plus a few frozen dinners and boxed pasta mixes that were on sale. We are planning on having some easy meals over the next few days.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >