Topic Options
#243004 - 02/27/12 08:36 AM Bathroom organizing
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

A couple of times recently, clients have asked about coming up with more storage for the bathroom. In one case, the bathroom was an apartment bathroom. There was one cabinet under the sink and that is it.

What are some inspired ways you have found more space for make-up, personal items, towels and the like for a bathroom?

#243010 - 02/27/12 10:01 AM Re: Bathroom organizing [Re: Lea Schneider]
NicoleAN Offline
Bronze (Newbie)

Loc: Detroit Metro Area
I am new at this but I thought I would chime in with what I have found helpful. I have been able to find a wheeled wire cart with drawers that is relatively narrow so it fits well in tight spaces, it is nicer looking than a plastic drawer unit but probably will not win any design awards.

Putting a shelf above the door is a good trick for using wasted space, you can stack towels there or put baskets up there to fill with less sightly items.

I have also turned a shelf of a hallway linen closet into a makeshift vanity of sorts, I hung a mirror on the inside of the door and set up trays for make up and a place for a hair dryer and flat iron to be stored. Using the hall space worked well there since there was only one tiny bathroom and that way two people could be getting ready at once.

#243016 - 02/27/12 11:26 AM Re: Bathroom organizing [Re: NicoleAN]
Diane D Online   content
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I have no room in my bathroom really. Nor do I wear makeup or even style my hair these days. I am also lucky that I have a nice linen closet right outside the bathroom.

My sink does not have an cabinet underneath so that is always an option. But what I did years ago was get one of those over toilet wooden structures. It has two pieces of wood that go down to the floor, and above the toilet is a cabinet with 2 doors, then an open shelf, then another cabinet with 2 doors. Then there is room on top (I have plants and candles on top) smile There is even a little room between the top of the toilet and the bottom of the unit if you really wanted to stick something there.

Inside I have my facial cleanser and cream, some bandaids and deodorant. I try to stick an extra roll of TP in there. On the open shelf I have qtips and lotions, and a small decorative plant pot that I keep my comb and some hair clips in.

The top compartment has stuff that I don't use much, some hair gel, aloe, stuff for biking that moves to the open shelf come summer, spare razors, ibuprofen and vitamins that are too big for my medicine cabinet. (vitamins need to go, I never take them)

A lot of this could actually move into the hall closet, I have "overstock" in there, but I find I use this stuff more so I like to have it on hand. Years ago I got small rubbermaid bins and labeled them "meds", "hair stuff", "soaps and lotions" "summer stuff", and it keeps everything nice and neat in there. I'm lucky that all my towels fit on two shelves in the closet and my sheets go in the drawers underneath.

If I get a burn or poison ivy or something where I need extra stuff, it can all go in there as well, then I move it out of the bathroom when I am healed.

There was a quick web site of things you can do in small places and like Nicole said, an over-door shelf was one mentioned. My bf was able to build a narrow set of shelves into his wall (between the studs) as he is renovating his bathroom, but he is lucky in that his hallway outside that wall had the room to do it.

<edit> My house came with a small 2 shelf wicker thing that attached to the wall, plus I already owned one. I did use them both but I hated the way they looked as everything always looked messy. The over (or behind) the toilet thing I've had for years and I really like it. It's white which matches my tile and trim and I can hide as much as I want in the cabinet portions.

Edited by Diane D (02/27/12 02:15 PM)

#243025 - 02/27/12 01:30 PM Re: Bathroom organizing [Re: Diane D]
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Welcome NicoleAN-
Thanks for being a GON member and chiming in. What great ideas!

I have to admit, you two are one up on me with the over the door shelf. Hadn't thought of that. Great idea.

#243026 - 02/27/12 01:39 PM Re: Bathroom organizing [Re: Lea Schneider]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
Lea...very popular on Pinterest this week!

Looks like they have extra toilet paper stored right over the shower though, not sure that's well thought out! LOL
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#243030 - 02/27/12 04:28 PM Re: Bathroom organizing [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

As for the TP- not if there is a 6'5" member of your family- but you could certainly do bottles or use a plastic storage container that could take some splashes.

I'll have to share this with some clients. They will love it.

#243119 - 03/02/12 10:15 AM Re: Bathroom organizing [Re: Lea Schneider]
BonnieJoy Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Fairfield County, CT
I love using glass jars in bathrooms to protect items from moisture. I also love using small containers inside medicine cabinets to keep things together and looking organized.

I have also used magnetic strips on the insides of medicine cabinets for items like tweezers. Velcro also works and kids love sticking their toothbrushes to it smile There are TONS of photos out there on Pinterest. You can type in "bathroom organization" or "bathroom inspiration" and get a LOT. Of course some are just staged for magazines and not realistic.
http://blog.thejoyfulorganizer.com
http://radioshow.thejoyfulorganizer.com

#243146 - 03/02/12 06:21 PM Re: Bathroom organizing [Re: BonnieJoy]
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

I'm more for acrylic in the bathroom. You can get the look of glass with out the danger that comes from moist hands handling glass. I love that clear look though!

#243147 - 03/02/12 06:42 PM Re: Bathroom organizing [Re: Lea Schneider]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
Lea, Great caution which is one of those things you learn with experience! Thanks for the heads up.
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz