Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#242720 - 02/18/12 09:42 PM Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3
blessmymess Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
The other thread was getting too long.

Did a partial grocery shopping today, and spent $17.00. Nearly $12 of it was for 24 lbs. of sugar (I stock up when sugar goes on sale for $.50/lb).

6 4-lb packets of sugar = $11.82
3 bread rolls ($.20@) = $.60
broccoli ($.50/lb) = $.61
cauliflower ($.50/lb) = $.87
bananas ($.69/lb) = $1.38
apples ($.50/lb) = $1.07
oranges (7 lb/$1) = $.65

Balance remaining in Feb. grocery budget: $45.60 - $17 = $28.60

I still need to buy milk, eggs, and some meat for the week (although I have a whole chicken in the freezer).

For b'fast today, we had almond croissants and apple Danish that I had bought yesterday.

Lunch: rice, omelette curry, lentils, leeks
Dinner: at cousin's house

I need to make some meal plans for the week - will do that tomorrow.

#242726 - 02/19/12 09:55 AM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: blessmymess]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks for your suggestions Bless. I'm going to look through the freezer and do a freezer inventory. And then plan meals accordingly. I spent 110$ grocery shopping Thursday evening and trust me you do not want to see how little I got. The joys of living up north.
I am hoping this will last 2 weeks other then maybe milk, bread, eggs.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#242734 - 02/19/12 12:43 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: tinytina]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Tina: After you do your freezer inventory, let us know what you have to work with. I am sure we will be able to come up with some possible meals you could make. Sorry to hear that food is so expensive where you live. Try to take advantage of any sales to keep the costs down.

#242738 - 02/19/12 01:02 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: blessmymess]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Bless, there are no real sales up here (they can't lower costs due to costs of shipping). At the end of March I will be going down south so I will bring back some food.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#242748 - 02/19/12 05:57 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: tinytina]
Happy Birthday juju Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Ohio
Just updating on the "spend the least as possible on groceries" month for me. I have spent $60.00 for the month, have been cleaning out the freezer and trying to buy only a few items to match up with what I have to make meals. Hopefully I will only need salad and milk till the end of the month.

I had some peppers and left over rice, added some veggies and cheese and made stuffed peppers with homemade marinara sauce I had in the freezer.

I already have food in house for the next week of dinners and next weekend one night will be going out for DH birthday. Feeling pretty good about how it went this month. I just kept thinking "NO, you don't need that...but you DO need a new frig"!

Bless: I made your turnovers with the one sheet of pastry I had but I found a 1/2 can of cherry pie filling I had put in the freezer so I used that. Whee - two things out of the freezer, used the apples for apple crisp and no money spend. By the way - those were really good! Thanks for the idea!

I had a fudge cake mix and a can of cherry pie filling and made Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes - no money spent and two items gone from the pantry.

I have been making casseroles and can get two meals out of those and a easy way to adapt to what you have and want to use up. I usually have one serving left out of the casseroles and have been packing them for the freezer. I plan on having a smorgasborg one night with all the one serving packages. Sorry to say in the past those would probably be wasted.

I am enjoying using up stuff and look forward to starting all over again doing bulk cooking in about another month. I plan on having a complete inventory sheet on the freezer and crossing off as I use. Will be easy since I am using up everything and starting a new. I still have stuff to work with for next month, not as much, but I will continue on with my quest and challenge.

#242749 - 02/19/12 06:42 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: juju]
Cyd Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: W. Canada
juju, Wooohooo cheers for you having given yourself a challenge and staying with it! I believe it's less stressful when you have a plan and know what dinner will be before you walk through the door. The Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes and Turnovers sound a treat.

Which fridge model are you planning to buy? Which features are important to you? My neighbor chosen a model primarily to fit her space which had an icemaker. She didn't think she needed/wanted that feature and didn't have it installed until Valentine's Day.

Tina: Food costs are shocking in the north. We're all happy to help with ideas/suggestions that can carry you through to the end of the semester.

#242753 - 02/20/12 05:51 AM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: Cyd]
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Cyd: I am going to do it right this time with the frig. The house we have now the frig came with it and also with the previous house. I finally get to pick what I want and I am so excited! I spend most of my life in the kitchen.

I want one with the freezer on the bottom. I looked about a year ago and likes the Samsung but I am going to look at them all again. I have waited this long, I will save and wait and get what I want. I also have a space is must fit in to, but I measured the ones I was thinking of and I don't see a problem.

This is a big purchase, but DH and I refuse to go into debt for anything, hence me squirreling away from the grocery budget - we save, buy quality and pay cash. That is also how I paid our house way down. Anything that was left at the end of the month I wrote out a separate check for the principal - I don't care if it was $12.00. I had been doing this for years [DH did not know] and surprised him when we could pay off the house!

Tina: would love to help with ideas for food with what you have since I am in the same mode right now. wink

#242765 - 02/20/12 12:06 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: juju]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Juju: You are doing really well with planning meals around what you have on hand. smile I like the idea of having a smorgasbord with the single serving items in the freezer. In fact, last Friday night, I pulled out all the leftovers from the fridge, spread them out on the kitchen counter and called it a smorgasbord! How's that for great minds thinking alike? smile

#242767 - 02/20/12 01:14 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: blessmymess]
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Bless: Great minds indeed! HA !!! At least you used yours, I always think I will pull everything out of the fridge but get side tracked. Got a little smarter this month and wrapped it, marked it and froze it.

I am putting the individual packages in one big bag too so I can just grab the whole bag of goodies and so they don't get lost to the "Freezer Burn Monster" or get shoved to the back. Work in progress...work in progress!

We need to come up with a name for our smorgasbord.. Second time surprise? Spectacular Sampler Buffet? The Royal Redo? Twice as nice? Budget Busting Buffet? now I'm just silly! wheeeee crazy

#242771 - 02/20/12 04:19 PM Re: Meal Planning/Grocery Budgeting for 2012: Part 3 [Re: juju]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Juju: Spectacular Sampler Buffet sounds good. Better than my Friday Night/Mum Doesn't Want to Cook/Clean Out the Fridge Buffet! laugh

We are pretty good about eating leftovers. I don't even need to disguise it as something else. But, very often, by the end of the week, I will end up with little bits of different things that need to be finished.

I did the rest of my grocery shopping today and bought:

2 whole chickens ($.89/lb) = $4.80 & $4.94
2 doz. eggs = $2.99
1 gal. milk = $3.09
1 loaf bread = $1.29
2 lb Bananas ($.69/lb) = $1.38
2.15 lb. grapes ($.99/lb) = $2.13
4 Luna bars ($1.00@) = $4.00
3 6-oz. packages Salmon ($2.70/6 oz) = $8.10

Total = $32.72
Less $7 off rewards coupon = $25.72

Balance left in Feb. grocery budget = $28.60 - $25.72 = $2.88!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >