Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#241033 - 01/10/12 01:13 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Lea Schneider]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Canada
I suspect some of us are more paper challenged than others. I have a wicker tray on the coffee table in the family room area, and I tend to throw anything in there that I might want to look at in a day or two, like a flyer that I am hanging onto, or a clipping that interests me. A library book may sit in there, (or on the pile), or DGD's drawing that I have replaced on the fridge with her latest. On the whole it is all well confined but I am not happy when it starts to overflow.

I tried to be more organized with a little binder in there, in which I keep reminders of items to shop for when out of town, notes on conversations with DSF, sizes of items I want to buy, and so on. But it doesn't really work that well, only as well as when I make the effort to utilize it properly!

Maybe this should be my spot for January, not the kitchen island, which I seem to have control over most of the time.

#241049 - 01/10/12 04:00 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Lea Schneider]
Karalin Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Thanks, Lea! It is going to be hard to do...I wouldn't mind picking my computer desk which is in the Living Room, but I think things will get worked on while I'm online and it is near the entry way and the room gets full sun and more attention. So I really need the emphasis on working on this dresser top. There are two shelves above it that could use some work as well. If this area was cleared and only the bare essentials on it. It would be most rewarding and bring peace. Although, right now it gives me anxiety...ugh.

#241089 - 01/11/12 10:45 AM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Karalin]
Karalin Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Bushlady-I've been keeping my kitchen island clear, it is the male folk that keep putting their stuff on it. They like to put things anywhere that has a flat surface, which is natural to most people when they come into the door. But it is me that is bothered by it the most as it is keeping me from feeling comfortable in my home and wanting others over. So I'm working on keeping it clear and moving DS and DH's stuff to their office or room.

We are fighting over space that should be used for home use vs business stuff. So my control over much of the space is limited at this time, I'm hoping that by working on what I can control eventually will filter into "working" on spaces such as the garage to specify which is home use and which is business.

#241090 - 01/11/12 10:52 AM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Karalin]
Karalin Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Now that I picked my spot, I need to get working on it. I'm dreading it, as I will first need to clear it off and go through the mental decisions of what to do with the stuff. I will have to decide: Do I need this any longer? Do I want to keep it even if I don't need it? Where am I going to put it? This is where the anxiety will come in, along with frustration.

So I'm pretty sure that is why I'm here on GON is to get that extra help on making decisions and letting go of things. I have the time to do this, it is overcoming the discomfort of doing so.

#241101 - 01/11/12 01:07 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Karalin]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
Karalin, When feeling the anxiety ask yourself - what's the worst thing that would happen if I didn't have this item? Chances are nothing!
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#241111 - 01/11/12 01:37 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
Karalin Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Thanks, Kimberly! I guess I better start...I'm dressed now and had to pick up DD. Only dressed for emergencies mind you! Not to go anywhere public, so I'm ready to go DO IT! I'll be back! smile

#241114 - 01/11/12 03:23 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Karalin]
Karalin Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Okay, after visiting with a sick SIL on the phone, I started the dresser. It is frustrating...as many things are on there b/c I don't have a place to put them. I use to but this was changed without my consent. So this brings on all sorts of feelings. But I have managed to throw old papers away and I'm sorting right now.

I'm realizing that I will have to put things that go in a different spot in a box or bin, until a designated spot is cleared up as I go through my organizing.

#241115 - 01/11/12 03:31 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Karalin]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Karalin,
Is this your dresser in your bedroom?

#241120 - 01/11/12 04:55 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
Karalin Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Kimberly, Yes. Well, it is cleared off! Cleaned and shiny, there is one scratch on it, which I've been afraid of something like this happening, but only noticeable to me. Buried under all that stuff was my DD's Senior portraits that I usually kept in the living room. I must have removed them from there a few years ago for Christmas. So at least they were protected. smile

Now I have things sorted on my bed, although a couple of the things taken off were containers with stuff in it. Ugh.

#241121 - 01/11/12 05:02 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Karalin]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Here's the reason I ask and remember that this is only my opinion. In an ideal world, there wouldn't be anything in your bedroom that's not making your room a peaceful, serene place. NO papers or other stuff that's looking for a home.

Again, remember that this is me and it won't work for everyone but I don't allow ANYTHING in my bedroom except for books. I DO break the other cardinal rule and I have a tv in there but I'm one of the lucky ones who has no trouble sleeping and sometimes like to watch hockey or something else before bed. If you do have trouble sleeping, tv is not usually recommended.

I've found that having any clutter whatsoever in my bedroom does not allow me to rest.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >