Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#240721 - 01/06/12 08:31 AM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Diane D]
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

I recently worked with a young lady who had clothes clutter in her bedroom- that were the "I can wear it again" type. If your clothes are clean enough to go back on your body and back out in public then they are clean enough to go on a hanger and back in your closet. smile Hope that helps!

#240723 - 01/06/12 08:55 AM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Lea Schneider]
sweetpea Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Loc: Duncan, BC
It took me SO long to develop a good approach for my clothes, and I have never been able to do my ensemble up the evening before as I have to put things on to know I'm comfortable in them.

I went through a long period where I could not seem to get myself looking "okay" for work in the morning. I would end up with up to 5 or 6 discarded garments tossed aside until I was "happy" with what I had on, (which often meant resorting to old standbys even though I have lots of clothes.)

I would also leave the clothes I had worn that day on a night stand and put on a bathrobe as soon as I got home so I was not cooking dinner in work clothes. These clothes then needed attention to be worn again as they became disheveled from being in the pile.

This would happen most mornings and evenings and by the end of the week the room looked liked a (clean) clothing bomb went off. One day my husband said gently that he felt that it was adding to his depression to have the room where he has to rest be so chaotic. He was also concerned about the level of anxiety I was suffering from and whether it was creating depression in me as well, as he could see my stress each day going through these motions over and over.

I still have days when getting dressed takes a couple tries but now I take the garment out ON the hanger instead of leaving it behind. If I change my mind, back it goes on it's hanger and into the closet and if I choose to wear something, I leave the hanger on the closet door knob for when I come home if it doesn't need laundering.

It's simple but our room is so much more pleasant for both of us and I don't have to spend an hour every Friday night hanging up or freshening up 25-30 garments. smile

#240728 - 01/06/12 09:22 AM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: sweetpea]
Canadagirl Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: midwest
Diane: I like that idea for in a master closet ~ will have to keep that in mind for future reference.

Lea: interesting concept... I am a bit OCD when it comes to public ~ I practically strip down before coming inside from sitting in public places... A lot of it is those is just remembering what has been worn and what hasn't...

Last night there were 2 pairs of jeans, 4 skirts, a pair of windpants and one sweater. (all neatly stacked in 2 piles on the floor) I put the windpants downstairs with my outerwear, wore one skirt and hung one up.

#240739 - 01/06/12 10:39 AM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Canadagirl]
blessmymess Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Originally Posted By: Canadagirl
I also have a tendency to stack clothes that i've worn once and can be worn again. Not sure where else to put them...

Back when I lived in my country of birth, we used to have wooden racks that we called "clothes horses", on which we'd hang the once-worn clothes that could be worn again. They were like sturdy drying racks and the clothes would air out while being hung on them. The closest thing to these clothes horses I've seen here are quilt racks.

These days, I hang items to be reworn on hooks on the back of my bedroom door. Except for my jacket, which tends to be draped on the back of a chair in the family room, since I don't have a coat closet.

#240751 - 01/06/12 01:30 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: blessmymess]
Diane D Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Maureen, I think I'd like that better if it was hidden away. One of my goals is to get my laundry basket into the closet rather than on the floor in front of it.

Lea - also true! I easily do that with jeans and sweatshirts. I always know the jeans have been worn as I zip them up when I wash them. So if they are unzipped they are worn - same with short that have zippers.

#240810 - 01/06/12 11:13 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Diane D]
Canadagirl Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

bless ~ we had what we called a clothes horse growing up and DH had one when we got married. We used it to dry clothes on. ours broke and I've been surprised that they're not readily available on the market. Of course I haven't really searched for one, but one would be handy to dry smaller items esp in the summer ~ my neighbour has one...

the back (front?) of my closet door has an over the door shoe holder in which my tshirts/camis are housed. the other side has a cowboy hat on it which mostly gets knocked off every time someone walks by. dh drapes towels over the top to dry.

that's a good idea about the zippers, Diane. except I have a pair that i don't need to unzip to get on/off...

#240828 - 01/07/12 10:17 AM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Canadagirl]
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

I you are concerned about putting things in the closet that you won't know what is worn and what is not worn, then scoot aside a space at the front of the closet. Use that to store clothing that has been worn once.

But honestly, it doesn't matter to me. If it is clean enough to wear again, it goes back with shirts, jeans or whatever. If it doesn't look fresh enough for another wear, it goes in the hamper. I'm thinking that trying to separate what is worn or not worn is one of those organizing steps that creates more work rather than less work. Think of it this way; Closet = clean enough to wear Hamper = not wearable. Two divisions. Easy-peasy.

But we all have our own comfort levels on this so you have to come up with a routine that works for you.

#240854 - 01/07/12 02:01 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Lea Schneider]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Canada
I'm inclined to agree with you, Lea. I now hang things up if I think they can take another wearing or two, and I turn the hanger round the other way just to remind me if I don't wear that item the next day, that it is a "worn already" item. That may sometimes be the top that I will pick to slip on in the morning and then change into something fresh only if I have to go out somewhere special later. I don't like to waste our resources washing things before necessary.

(I know this idea of turning the hangers conflicts with the school of thought re. turning hangers so we know if we have never worn something in a year. But I don't have so many things that I don't remember what gets worn and what doesn't. In fact I am only too well aware of some items that I am still hanging onto, "just in case"!)

#240855 - 01/07/12 02:05 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Bushlady]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Canada
Maureen,
I also grew up with a "clothes horse", in England, and here in Canada I have the equivalent, which is called a drying rack, sold in many hardware stores. I actually have two in the basement and I use them a lot as the heat of the wood furnace soon dries the items and the air needs the extra humidity in winter, so it is win-win.

#240874 - 01/07/12 05:08 PM Re: Pick Your Spot for January [Re: Bushlady]
Canadagirl Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I dusted the entertainment center, the night tables it sits on and the cubby shelves that house my "delicates". cleaned the decor and switched them out with the battery operated candles in the hallway. tossed a few mags and got all the girls odds and ends back to their room. Vacuumed and it all looks great.

Now, I will dust it as part of my weekly cleaning. (dusting kind of went by the way side once I had kids ~ but now they are doing it smile ).

My master closet is another issue. It's 4.5 ft long and has both in season and out of season clothes in it. I just need to be at peace with the fact that i'm in a cozy rental and get my weight fluctuations under control ~ this too shall pass.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >