Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#240317 - 12/31/11 08:49 AM JANUARY ROOM OF THE MONTH - ROTM - WEEK ONE
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
Well, I have two projects connecting for me this month....I will be working in the basement (it WILL be finished) along with decluttering and undecorating the christmas items. Some are stored down in the basement so I can go thru them, and decide what I am keeping. I also will wrap and tag the presents I have and get them ready for giving.

#240324 - 12/31/11 10:18 AM Re: JANUARY ROOM OF THE MONTH - ROTM - WEEK ONE [Re: dianaro2]
DarleneM Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
In 2012, I want to do another serious downsizing project throughout my whole house. I still have too much stuff for this little place! My long-term goal will be to get rid of as close to 2012 things in 2012 as possible. I'm making this challenge a bit more difficult for myself by saying certain things "don't count" - junk mail (which already is immediately tossed in the paper recycling) and obvious trash (such as empty food containers and used tissues).

My first room to tackle will be my kitchen (Jan ROTM). In addition to downsizing by getting rid of some excess appliances, I want to reorganize my storage spaces. Any unwanted food stuffs will either be trashed or donated to the food bank (depending on expiry date and whether or not the container has been opened).

http://powertochange.com/

Personal motto: If you are coming to visit me, come any time. If you are coming to inspect my house, please wait until such time as you can set up an appointment with a real estate agent.

The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook...William James

#240331 - 12/31/11 12:14 PM Re: JANUARY ROOM OF THE MONTH - ROTM - WEEK ONE [Re: DarleneM]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Jan. ROTM will have to be the 3 bedrooms!

- I need to finish switching closets with DD
- DD needs to set up the 2 bookcases and move all her things from the various other rooms, into her new bedroom.
- Once DD has set up her room, I can organize my things in the 3rd bedroom (office/crafts/guest room)

#240350 - 12/31/11 02:11 PM Re: JANUARY ROOM OF THE MONTH - ROTM - WEEK ONE [Re: blessmymess]
Frugal4me Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I am going to work on the closets for my January ROTM

Coat closet in entry/living room
donate kids toys- we never had kids here anymore
make a space for my backpack from work
go through winter wear baskets and toss old stuff
donate the holiday door decor we do not use

Guest room closet
donate games we do not use
donate or sell other unused decor items
move medical items to basement
extra blanket to cedar chest
go through jackets and donate those not worn

Master bedroom closet
Mine
donate shoes not worn in last year
donate sweatshirts that do not fit
toss old blouses when new ones arrive
check t's for stains and wash

DHs
put holey t's in ragbag

#240352 - 12/31/11 02:21 PM Re: JANUARY ROOM OF THE MONTH - ROTM - WEEK ONE [Re: Frugal4me]
Diane D Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

As much as I NEED to put my office back in shape, I really want to get that last bedroom stripped of wallpaper and livable! So......

- Move futon to LR (need help <sigh>) - done - took it apart smile
- Remind old boss #2 that he still has boxes of stuff here
- Put some stuff from old boss #1 on ebay
- Move remainder of old boss #1 stuff to basement or to him (which may mean cleaning out old canning room if I move it)
- Remove stuff from shelving and remove shelving
- remove AC
- Finish cleaning closet and make it clothes-ready again (may mean giving the office closet a quick clean as these are computer related items)
- strip wallpaper
- paint ceiling
- fix walls
- prime walls
- paint walls
- paint trim
- shellac floor
- move in! smile (admittedly I may not like sleeping here as that neighbor has a barky dog, but I need to move out of the other room to finish painting that one)
- eventually work on a "built-in" for small tv and some shelving

I can't believe that even living alone, doing things in one room still involves killing another! :-/

Edited by Diane D (12/31/11 02:58 PM)

#240372 - 12/31/11 07:46 PM Re: JANUARY ROOM OF THE MONTH - ROTM - WEEK ONE [Re: Diane D]
cindyjkane Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Muskogee, Oklahoma
I'm excited to start 2012. I need to get my groove back. That will means some big changes.

First is get a better handle on my parents. After the holidays and the treatment from my DM I need to figure something else. This is not working. I know I'm all they have but they are making me a bitter old lady before my time. I will be putting up some boundaries for them.

Second is get the house back under control. I'm going to sell some china and glassware. I don't need them or use them. Right now I have a bunch to donate and I'll calling Am Vets and see if they will come get it soon.

The first room is going to be the guest/kids room. The second GS is due any day. That means a lot of girl stuff can go. There isn't going to be any more. That will will a lot more room in attic.

I want to sell a bunch of stuff from attic. Once I get the donatations out then I can move that stuff down to sell. I have two people that will buy/sell for me. Goal is downsize as much as I can.

Happy New Year everyone.

Cindy

Edited by cindyjkane (12/31/11 07:47 PM)

#240397 - 01/01/12 09:22 AM Re: JANUARY ROOM OF THE MONTH - ROTM - WEEK ONE [Re: cindyjkane]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
Looks like we are all off to a good start. Onward ladies!

#240407 - 01/01/12 11:15 AM Re: JANUARY ROOM OF THE MONTH - ROTM - WEEK ONE [Re: Frugal4me]
Frugal4me Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I completed one closet today

Coat closet in entry/living room
donate kids toys- going to the neighbor for her DGD
make a space for my backpack from work
go through winter wear baskets and toss old stuff
donate the holiday door decor we do not use

I moved one hanging shoe caddy bag to my closet. Had a DUH moment. I leave my shoes at the foot of the bed. The shoe caddy
was empty so I can now put my shoes in my closet. What a concept!

Emptied a basket of craft things into my sewing basket. I keep one in the coat closet for quick hand sewing projects. Brought extra thread and the empty basket to the sewing room. Brought craft book to the sewing room along with some patterns. Kept the cross stitch bread cloth books along with a few pieces of linen in a craft basket in the closet. I like to cross stich.

12 items in a donation bag
10 items tossed
4 items to sell- need to take pictures TODAY and list on craigslist

I am so zealous to start another closet. Supper is in the crockpot. I really need to take the pictures of the For Sale items and get them posted. Need to pay bills today and organize the desk so I will wait on the next closet. I have tomorrow off so you never know what might happen then. wink

#240441 - 01/01/12 06:07 PM Re: JANUARY ROOM OF THE MONTH - ROTM - WEEK ONE [Re: Frugal4me]
cindyjkane Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Muskogee, Oklahoma
I visited parents and for once in a long while it was nice. Then I went to Dillard's. Oh I wasn't good but a got some really cutespring summer clothes that will pack well. I did need them aznd it was cheaper to buy than make.

I put up decorations. Now the house looks so bare. What to do with the decor? I put my snowman outbut need some ideas. Not a lot but what type of folage?

I also discovered I need to work on desk top. I need a better bill situtation. Also I have a bunch of shreddering to do at school. Mine at home isn't working. Wish I would get my gift card from Staples.

Anyway I'd better get ready for tomorrow. 5:30 will come early!!

Cindy

#240445 - 01/01/12 06:41 PM Re: JANUARY ROOM OF THE MONTH - ROTM - WEEK ONE [Re: cindyjkane]
Texas Girl Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: West Texas
Kind of cheating and going with the guest bedroom as ROTM. This room was in really good shape this summer after being ROTM about this time last year, but I've been using it to dump stuff while cleaning other areas. We have a visitor coming in the next week or two, so I want to get it usable in that period of time. I should have a good donation pile by the time I get through it again.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >