Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#241056 - 01/10/12 04:47 PM Re: JANUARY GOALS - WEEK ONE [Re: Karalin]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
Karalin:
I feel the same way about the days getting longer!

Carol:
It is a matter of time. Changes are hard,but you are one very strong woman, who doesn't give herself enough credit for what you can do! You are woman hear yourself ROAR!

Closets need to be done a tiny babystep at a time, and TA DAH it gets done.

#241058 - 01/10/12 04:51 PM Re: JANUARY GOALS - WEEK ONE [Re: Karalin]
Karalin Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Karalin: It is hard to give up dreams. but good for you in recognizing that in giving them up that you'll achieve more than you dreamed of...

Thanks, Canadagirl-- That's what makes setting goals hard right now, as many of my past goals need to change for now. So I'm having a hard time writing things down. Because there is so much to do!

First goal:Get on GON! READ for motivation! Do and report!

Main goal is to declutter.

Master Bedroom closet
Kitchen cupboards
Laundry Room

Walk my dog so that I get sunshine and exercise
Go to health club for strength training and social interaction
Continue listening to books or talks on CD or tape
Practice the piano for my enjoyment and keep skills honed
Dust, dust, dust...by doing so...this will get me cleaning out cubby holes and discarding unnecessary items.

Scan pictures and put on CDs. This has to be done at Walmart or other places.
Put CDs of pics on computer to share/store.
Learn how to use my computer Internet services as well as desktop publishing possibilities.
Write my life's story.
Write my children's story.
Write about my family of origin.

Continue contact with old friends out of state.
Make time for DH outside of the home and business.
Organize home so that I feel comfortable having people over for dinner or game night.

Well, this is a beginning...hope to be more specific as time goes on.

#241061 - 01/10/12 05:24 PM Re: JANUARY GOALS - WEEK ONE [Re: Karalin]
californiagirl Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Oakhurst, CA
You gals are so sweet and encouraging. Thank you!

My hall closet isn't one of your ordinary, run of the mill hall closets. It is a walk-in that goes about 6-8 feet back. When we moved in here, it is where I put all of the boxes that I didn't know what to do with. It is indeed going to take some time to go through all of it. I guess if I do a box a day it won't be so bad. And, who knows, I may find treasure in there! LOL

#241063 - 01/10/12 05:37 PM Re: JANUARY GOALS - WEEK ONE [Re: californiagirl]
Karalin Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Whoa Nellie, californiagirl! That is an awesome closet! LOL! But definitely one that would be overwhelming to go through compared to my 2X2 ft coat closet. Maybe a little bit bigger...not much.

Then there is the linen closet which is less deep but wider. It is in better control, but still needs to be sorted through. It is my walk in closet that stresses me, but not a total nightmare as I have worked on it before, but this time around I will be saying Goodbye to things I no longer will wear and other things that are no longer needed in my life or DH's. I've kept soaps from a Cruise to use the covers in scrapbooking projects. I am now thinking that just to get the pics in an album and also on a CD with some journaling is all I need...I don't believe I have time to get as fancy as I use to in scrapbooking.

I have too many pics and a story to tell...before something happens to me. This is one of my main concerns in life is What if something happens to me...? Do I want people going through my closets and stuff...definite "No!" Ugh...

#241074 - 01/11/12 08:21 AM Re: JANUARY GOALS - WEEK ONE [Re: Karalin]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

That is a great closet to have! Can understand how you need to take your time to go thru it Carol.

Karalin:
Sounds like a better plan for the scrapbooking. You could use one in the journaling if you want. I do cards, not a scrapbooker. Did do a book for one grandson, and will be doing another one for another grandson this year. Should start gathering up the pics.

~~~~~~~~~
Happy to say I started doing the shredding. Would like to get more done today, so I can put it out with the trash tonight.
We are going back to the regular day now that the holidays are over.

#241084 - 01/11/12 09:08 AM Re: JANUARY GOALS - WEEK ONE [Re: dianaro2]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Canada
Karalin, I have a similar feeling about my stuff, having turned 70 a few weeks ago. My DMIL was very good about getting rid of stuff, so dealing with her place after she died was not too difficult. DA, on the other hand, had dementia and DC spent 5 months trying to sort out her place, tossing endless bags to charity or the dump.

I'd love to get my paper beast tamed, photo collection reduced, perhaps a life story written for my DGD to see what life used to be like in the last century!

Carol, good luck with that wonderful closet! (the perfect place to hide boxes, lol)

Diana, I know that feeling of wanting to get stuff done in time for the trash or recycling collection. It is always such a relief to see the stuff gone forever!

#241091 - 01/11/12 11:13 AM Re: JANUARY GOALS - WEEK ONE [Re: Bushlady]
Karalin Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Thanks Diana and Bushlady! Diana, what is it that you do with the cards? Do you put them in an album and journal about them? Are you talking about birthday cards and Christmas cards or something different?

I use to shred every thing to put in my compost pile, DS would mock me for it. I did shred phone books...and anything else I have access to that is thrown out. I have two mindsets, not wasting and wanting to build this compost pile to have good soil to grow plants. LOL! Because that was my dream.

Well, now our city has recycle bins and so I'm getting better at tossing unwanted magazines, all sorts of boxes, which I'm known to collect them for "organizational purposes" or actually to put in my garden to keep weeds down. So I really don't need all that shredded paper as a neigbhor has horses and I can get all the manure I can handle.

So shredding would probably be mainly used to get rid of sensitive material. And since I've been on a hiatus from office work, not much shredding has been done. We are allowed to burn and we have a dumpster on our property as well.

Bushlady-That would be good to get your life story written down for you DGD. That is my purpose as well, not just for my children, but my Grandchildren.

#241098 - 01/11/12 12:17 PM Re: JANUARY GOALS - WEEK ONE [Re: Karalin]
blessmymess Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Carol: Hope you are enjoying your first day back at work. We used to have a deep closet like that when we lived in the apartment - used to store all our suitcases and other stuff in there, since we had no other storage area.

Karalin: Hard to acknowledge that some things might never be accomplished.

I will continue to work on my goal of decluttering this week.

#241119 - 01/11/12 04:12 PM Re: JANUARY GOALS - WEEK ONE [Re: blessmymess]
Karen1975 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Staffordshire England
Family goals:
*Date night with DH regular quality time together as a couple - first one was lovely we sat snuggled on the settee watching some old comedy shows. DH said it was the first time for a long while he has heard me properly laugh you know like a proper belly laugh. It was lovely to just sit and be. Tomorrow we are having a movie day as we are both free and DS is at nursery.

*Visit granddad once a fortnight - He came last week to us and we will be visiting him Friday afternoon. I am still checking on him every few days via telephone.

*Visits to the in-laws will be once a week and like with granddad I will ring them midweek to check on them. We are now only visiting every Saturday afternoon which is lovely as all the family is there.

Health Goals
*I start the new year 14 lbs heavier than last January so I definitely need to work on that. I plan to focus on eating more healthily rather than dieting. I have lost four pounds in the first week from cutting out the junk and eating regular meals. I have also been doing some exercise every other day.

*I also want to increase my exercise as since I started college and volunteering I have not really walked anywhere - I have really enjoyed trying different exercises and the ones I like best are pilates and aerobics. So far this goal is going well.

House
*Continue with the decluttering - I did a massive clear out in the first week of January and I am continuing to chip away at items.

*Work on a master list of jobs that need doing - I have lots of ideas but have yet to commit them to paper.

So all in all I think the goals are going well so far I am feeling a lot less flustered and the eternal to do list although still there has less on it now smile

Edited by Karen1975 (01/11/12 04:29 PM)

#241139 - 01/12/12 08:46 AM Re: JANUARY GOALS - WEEK ONE [Re: Karen1975]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Karen:
You are doing SUPER! Congrats on the loss of weight. That is great. Good to hear all your goals are being met.

Yes, the list never goes away, but as you said it has less on it.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >