Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#239458 - 12/09/11 07:50 PM Holiday Bugets
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
With Christmas around the corner, I was wondering how everyone was doing with their holiday budgets, this year.

I am finding that it is a challenge, this year, to stay under budget! Even with trying to make the majority of my gifts with items I have on hand in my stash. I am hoping very hard to be able to come under budget.

Are you able to keep to the budget you set for holiday gifts and entertaining? Are you coming under? Are you going over?

If you are staying under budget, do share your secrets and tell us how you do it!

What are your all-time favorite low cost gifts to give and to receive?

If you are going over, how do you plan to fund the additional amounts?

#239484 - 12/10/11 11:18 AM Re: Holiday Bugets [Re: blessmymess]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
I will be under budget this year, due to the fact that instead of purchasing gifts for everyone in the extended family, I joined the grab bag. I think my DB was relieved, I know I am.

With the economy the way it is , and being on a fixed income, I cannot do things like I use to. Should have done this a couple of years ago, like my son suggested, but didn't think it was right. I will purchase the gifts for my immediate family, but not all the nieces, nephews, etc., unless I make up something like scarfs for next year to use up my stash. If I have the items already I can give a little something next year, but ONLY if I have the stuff at home. I went overboard a couple of years so need to use those items up.

I also decided to send a food gift to the aunts/uncles and use the gifts I made for them as birthday gifts this year. So that puts me ahead this upcoming year. Going to wrap and tag them and place them in a handy place so I won't miss any like I did this year.

My favorite gits to give are hand made, and using up items I planned on making previously and ran out of time. Using up what I have here .

My favorite gifts to receive, gift cards, food gifts.

Great thread Bless!

#239513 - 12/11/11 06:02 PM Re: Holiday Bugets [Re: dianaro2]
Karen1975 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Staffordshire England
I will be on budget this year too. As DS is so young his toys are still quite cheap so I am taking advantage of it while I can wink

DH and I have limited the amount we spend on eachother and others, and taking advantage of offers all year round has paid off.

The one thing we have cut completely is entertaining. This is because we will be spending more time in my granddads town this year and also with inlaws, so we will not have the time to entertain at home. The bonus is this will save us money smile

Edited by Karen1975 (12/11/11 06:03 PM)

#239565 - 12/13/11 02:52 AM Re: Holiday Bugets [Re: Karen1975]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterford, MI
Definitely on a budget!! And keeping right in line with it.

Use a debit card for all purchases and earn points so I have redeemed points for gift cards to use for my holiday shopping. Been watching sales like a hawk as well.

Did splurge and bought SO and DB something not on the list, really heavy weight flannel shirts. Found them yesterday on clearance for $6 each, from 29, and there were only 8 left, coincidentally their sizes were one each in a red and brown plaid....couldn't say no.

Other than that, also watching and really utilizing grocery sales, and SO, though complaining that I am not buying name brands that he "only eats"(ex-kraft mac and cheese vs no name store brand), has watched, and tried, and now reevaluated his stance on my purchases, so far as having some for dinner last night and commmenting about his opinion! This is how I oculd pay for those 2 shirts too!

#239577 - 12/13/11 08:55 AM Re: Holiday Bugets [Re: beaglelady]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Good going BL on the shirts and changing SOs mind about name brands. Lots of the non-names are made by the company that is namebrand under a different label....more money for the mfgr.

Today is finish the outside shopping for gifts. Home today and tomorrow, other than a haircut this evening. Craft class cancelled until Thurs. Works much better for me.

#239597 - 12/13/11 04:43 PM Re: Holiday Bugets [Re: dianaro2]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

I made a batch of spritz cookies this weekend, for the almsgiving, and they went over very well. Made more than 6 doz. and less than a doz. remained! I am thinking of making another couple of batches for gift giving. I have all the ingredients on hand.

#239600 - 12/13/11 06:26 PM Re: Holiday Bugets [Re: blessmymess]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Sounds like a good idea!

I finished up the shopping today. Feels good, tomorrow wrapping.

#239613 - 12/14/11 06:30 AM Re: Holiday Bugets [Re: dianaro2]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterford, MI
Baking to a minimum this year. I am going to make cheese biscuits to take to SO's house on xmas day. Tasty and tast like cheez it crackers and one recipe yields about 13 dozen. Also have a spicy sweet red pepper relish that will get mixed with cream cheese to accompany ritz crackers and a veggie tray....easy cooking and cheap...the only ingredients I have to buy is cream cheese and almond topping for the biscuits.

#239641 - 12/14/11 12:00 PM Re: Holiday Bugets [Re: beaglelady]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

I read an article the other day which stated that some people are delaying their Christmas celebrations until after the 25th, so they can purchase their gifts during the after-Christmas sales. That's one way of cutting costs!

One of the challenges with keeping to a holiday budget is low cost entertaining. Potlucks, with everyone bringing a dish, are a great way to entertain on a budget.

My particular challenge is coming up with "good" gifts while keeping the costs down. In other words, cheap gifts that don't seem so cheap! laugh

I have a budget of $120 for gifts for 40+ people. Every year, I wrack my brain to come up with low cost gifts, since, I have just under $3 to spend on each person.

I guess I could have more to spend on each person if I was willing to cut down on my gift list, but I am not willing to do that. So, I will continue to give homemade and "bargain basement" gifts to the extent that I am able.

#239649 - 12/14/11 01:07 PM Re: Holiday Bugets [Re: beaglelady]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
Originally Posted By: beaglelady
Baking to a minimum this year. I am going to make cheese biscuits to take to SO's house on xmas day. Tasty and tast like cheez it crackers and one recipe yields about 13 dozen. Also have a spicy sweet red pepper relish that will get mixed with cream cheese to accompany ritz crackers and a veggie tray....easy cooking and cheap...the only ingredients I have to buy is cream cheese and almond topping for the biscuits.

Can you please post the cheez it recipe in the recipe forum? My husband likes those but I have a big problem with all the sodium in packaged foods like that. Thanks!
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >