Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#239012 - 11/28/11 10:02 AM Under the kitchen sink
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Ewwww. That's the usual reaction for digging under the kitchen sink. How does it get so messy and how can you make it better?

Here's a couple of tips- fresh on my mind as I just organized an under-sink area for family this week.

Use under the sink to hold only cleaning products you use in the kitchen- dish soap, dishwasher soap, SOS pads, countertop cleaner, kitchen trash bags and the like. Using this rule of thumb to limit what gets crammed under there really helps.

Use a basket or tray to hold products. This allows you to pull it out and find what you need. It also keeps things cleaner because many soap products create sticky residue messes. Much easier to clean up.

If you want to save and recycle bags from the store, contain them. They puff up with air and create a huge wadded mess. I like some of the products designed for this purpose.

An organizer, often sold as a bakeware rack, makes a handy place under the sink to stand cutting boards. I've found that you can usually utilize this under the sink even with pipes hanging down.

How do you control under the sink messes?

#239013 - 11/28/11 10:20 AM Re: Under the kitchen sink [Re: Lea Schneider]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho
Lea, much like you I use baskets to contain items under the sink. I store cleaning products and trash bags and also plastic grocery bags (which I collect to donate to the local food bank). I have a plastic coated wire shelf which I have under one side of the sink and it holds spray bottles and such. Under it is where I stow the plastic grocery sacks. In the center I have a basket that holds my dishwasher soap tablets, rinse agent for the dishwasher and also extra scrubbies/sponges, etc. Under the left side I stow boxes of trash bags and swiffer cloths. Nicely contained and easy to find what I need.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

#239016 - 11/28/11 11:44 AM Re: Under the kitchen sink [Re: BonnieS]
blessmymess Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
I have lined the undersink cabinet with contact paper, which is washable, so it is easy to wipe up any spills.

I store the cleaning supplies, cutting boards, wire cooling rack & the large container of oil, in the cabinet, with the dust pan and brush hung on the inside of the doors.

I have 2 plastic caddies to hold the cleaning supplies, one on either side of the central pipes/garbage disposal unit, the household cleansers in one, the dish washing detergents (liquid for handwashing dishes; powder for the dishwasher) in the other.

The container of oil sits inside a paper-towel lined foil pie pan. The paper towel absorbs any oil that drips and can be replaced every few weeks. The pie pan can be replaced as needed, usually, every 6 months, or so.

#239028 - 11/28/11 03:47 PM Re: Under the kitchen sink [Re: blessmymess]
Cyd Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: W. Canada
I lined the under-sink cabinet with a sample sz. vinyl flooring, cut to size. Its sturdy, can be pulled out, drawer-like if necessary and washes well. Interior cabinet door #1 has wire type trash bin, #2 IKEA type plastic bag holder. Left side cut a regular shelf triangular shape to facilitate hoses & pipes, wide @ front for DW powder/cubes contained in re-purposed ice cream cylinder, other cylinders hold sponge/scrubber/chore girl.

Back area for occasionally used silver polish, specialty cleaners. Rt.side: plastic, 6 pk holder for Stainless, counter,cabinet, floor cleaning products. Middle basket for stacks micro cloths, knit cloths, J cloth roll. Lft. side Clorox mix in a former DAWN bottle, tall, angular bottle recycle box. I decant dish detergent into a pretty bottle with pump which is used enough to earn permanent counter space.

I finally found a use for orphan plastic lids under anything sticky or greasy like honey, corn syrup, oil. Also between coated fry/saute pans to prevent scratches.

#239670 - 12/14/11 06:58 PM Re: Under the kitchen sink [Re: Cyd]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Michigan
I bought some heavy duty plastic shelf liner from Ikea and that has been great at catching and holding any spills or drips!

I have a small shelf unit that the dish washing pellets and brillo pads sit on and there is space under that and on either side of it for the supplies I use in the kitchen and the window cleaner. Plastic bags are corralled in a special holder just outside the door in the garage, handy for use both in and out of the house.

#239757 - 12/17/11 08:54 AM Re: Under the kitchen sink [Re: beaglelady]
linny Offline
Bronze (Newbie)

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
I have just moved last week and under my kitchen sink is a basket for dish towels, rolls of paper towels on one side of pipes. baskets for sponges and dish cloths then the brillo pads and cleaning supplies in the middle. It is working for me, the men in the house haven't figured it out yet but thay are seldom in here. I don't use my dishwasher so I put the cookie sheets and wire racks in there. Not much storage here for seldom used items. I use command hooks on the inside of the cabinet door to hang the cutting board and any other item that will hang flat. Works for me.

#239864 - 12/19/11 09:02 PM Re: Under the kitchen sink [Re: linny]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
My under-kitchen-sink has the large pitchers we don't use daily, which take up inordinate amounts of space otherwise. There's a small cabinet just to the left of the sink where I keep a few cleaning items, but it's shorter, and won't hold the pitchers, thus the swap.

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

#240755 - 01/06/12 01:56 PM Re: Under the kitchen sink [Re: blessmymess]
Kelekona Offline
Bronze (Newbie)

Contact paper under the sink? Once we own a house, I'm going to insist on linoleum flooring in the undersink cabinets. It seems weird that these rentals didn't bother with such a useful detail.

As for now, we store stupid stuff under the sink... a gallon of soy sauce, a gallon of vinegar. I store the spare sponges and like in a small shoebox in the laundry/kitchen appliance area.

#240762 - 01/06/12 02:59 PM Re: Under the kitchen sink [Re: Kelekona]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
Even in a rental, a few squares of self-stick lino tile are cheap as can be, and very helpful in making the under-sink area a nicer storage spot.

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

#240778 - 01/06/12 05:13 PM Re: Under the kitchen sink [Re: ElizabethClark]
DarleneM Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Kelekona, a trip to a flooring store might net you a small sample size or remnant of a linoleum piece that could be placed (not glued) on the bottom of your sink cabinet. Even the fussiest landlord should not get upset about that.

http://powertochange.com/

Personal motto: If you are coming to visit me, come any time. If you are coming to inspect my house, please wait until such time as you can set up an appointment with a real estate agent.

The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook...William James

#240788 - 01/06/12 06:13 PM Re: Under the kitchen sink [Re: DarleneM]
Kelekona Offline
Bronze (Newbie)

Ah, but I do not care about the rental beyond what they may charge me for wear. If the plumbing crew wrecks the cabinets, or the reasonable damage caused by a bad drain as the case in a previous rental, it is their problem.

There was recently a flooring crew to repair damage that I'm sure I was caused by an issue I reported a year ago. I convinced them to give me a scrap of flooring, an under-the-table concession to an unrelated request that they rip the carpet out of my office so that I could make paintings without ruining said carpet.

#240829 - 01/07/12 10:18 AM Re: Under the kitchen sink [Re: DarleneM]
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

You could easily put two plastic trays under the sink that serve the purpose of contact paper and have the advantage of slidding out. I got mine at a big discount store for about $3.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >