Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#238184 - 11/08/11 01:23 PM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: blessmymess]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
DOn't forget meats shrink when you cook them. You're rendering out fat, etc.
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#238186 - 11/08/11 02:25 PM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
blessmymess Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Very true. And I don't weigh the portions to see if I have 3 or 4 oz. either (although, it might be interesting to do that, one of these days - slice up what I would consider to be a portion and weigh to see how much it actually is!)

#238189 - 11/08/11 04:01 PM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: blessmymess]
Canadagirl Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: midwest
Quote:
Does anyone else figure out cost per portion like this? Or do you calculate the cost per meal?

Quite frankly, neither! crazy

I decided to do a stock-up run today, so that I wouldn't have to go out btwn T-day and NYE if I didn't have to. I was mostly getting household supplies but I did get some groc as well....

*grape juice 3@2.99
*lefsa 3.34 (splurge)
*bananas (7) 1.39
*1lb strawberries 3.98
*pinto beans 9X 1.13
*refried beans 2X 1.27
*garbanzo 2X 1.13
*rice flour 3.59
*oat flour 3.79
*barley 2.99
*cucumber 2@ .88
*pears (4) 3.94
*avocados 4@ .98
*nut thins 3.39
*Mary's Gone Crackers 2@ 4.79
*almond thins 3.19
*Kashi cereal 3.99
*garlic .68
*PB 2 @ 3.59; 1@ 3.69; 1@ 2.72
*potatoes 3.98

*1lb pistachio 6.69
*juicy juice 2 @ 3.19
*cereal pack 3.79

*ezekial bread 2@ 5.49
*barley 2@ 1.79
*hemp seed 9.29

#238210 - 11/09/11 08:28 AM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: Canadagirl]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I live in a larger community and have access to stores and groceries throughout the year. Occassionally, not very often, we do have days when the stores are shut down. The lull before the storm is when the stores are really heavily hit. Anything from water to premade foods to foods that have long cooking times is up for grabs and the shelves are wiped out.

Canadagirl: What will you be making with your goods? The reason why I'm asking is that next Tuesday I'll be making a major haul for food. It will be for my holiday baking, lefse making, Thanksgiving dinner and items for a relish tray, and for most of the holiday season. I'm still deciding what to make. I'm planning on doing a OAMC session. I haven't done one for quite a while and am looking for some new ideas.

Bless the spring and summer session I was quite good and cutting out 3 and 4 ounce pieces of meat. I need to get back to it soon.

#238216 - 11/09/11 11:20 AM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: STRIVING]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Dinner last night was miso soup and sesame wings. Followed by fresh blackberries.

Roast beef sandwiches for lunch, again, today. DD doesn't much care for roast beef when served by itself (with veggies, etc.), but she loves my roast beef sandwiches! smile Grapes and bananas; chocolate covered cookies for DD. Will probably cook rice and curries for dinner, tonight.

#238222 - 11/09/11 01:45 PM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: blessmymess]
Canadagirl Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: midwest
Striving: I'm noy sure that I can help you with that...

We have a small groc store here that I get what i can from. When we go to a larger center we try to focus on what we can't get here, so it tends to be more specialty items.

The avocado I'm enjoying right now with some jalepeno flavored "food should taste good" chips. More will be served with tacos or on sandwiches. potatoes are going in stew. beans will be eaten as a meal or go in stews/chilis. barley for beef barley soup.

Mary's gone crackers dh will eat on their own, but then any crumbs will be put ontop of meatloaf. He uses a lot of rice flour for his non-wheat baking (johnny cake). I'm gonna try to make wheat free bread ~ they didn't have any barley flour though (will need to order that).

Hemp seeds (also known as "sprinkles") go on top of toast. The pears I cut up and go in oatmeal instead of brown sugar or maple syrup...

Hope any of that was helpful smile

Silly me, I knew that the girls were making pizza dough in 4H yesterday so I planned on pizza for supper. they were mini personal pan pizzas! so, I threw in one of my frozen pizzas and dh warmed up some taco meat when he got home. On the plus side they came home with the toppings on them which I wasn't expecting.

I have stew meat thawed out, which I should get working on. I'm thinking about making a roast tomorrow. Not sure when my company is coming. the roast is only 3ish pounds, so don't think I'll enough left over to make beef barley soup.

#238244 - 11/10/11 02:06 AM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: Canadagirl]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Dinner tonight: rice, spicy beef, lentils, cauliflower, green beans, cucumber salad and tomato chutney. Leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.

#238264 - 11/10/11 11:32 AM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: tinytina]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterford, MI
Bless, the only way to stretch the money is to be frugal about the sales. With me having five grocery stores within a 2 mile radius of my house, it makes it so much easier. I do almost no shopping at Costco since the value is not there for me other than some cleaning supplies and paper products, and then not even sooo great. Even their gas prices are matchable with gasbuddy dot com. SO has had no motivation this week. I have been redeeming points accumulated with rewards programs and treated him to a meal at Olgas this week. First time for him and he loved it and I had leftovers for lunch the next day.

Also love subway and their $5 footlongs as that is 2 meals for that price too.

He will be doing grocery shopping and cooking this weekend when son is here. We are starting to figure out the holiday cooking too now. He wants to deep fry a turkey(yes he owns a fryer for that!), do we will see.

#238267 - 11/10/11 11:42 AM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: beaglelady]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
Isn't that funny? I do at least 80% of my shopping at Costco! Especially the dairy items - butter, cheese, sour cream, cream, eggs are so much cheaper there for what I buy. There are very few things I don't find to be cheaper there.
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#238271 - 11/10/11 11:49 AM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
I find there prices are quite competitive as well.

Trust me, its so different living in a remote community- grocery prices are very high (everything must be shipped in by airplane or driven on the ice roads in the winter). You would be shocked by the grocery prices if I were to post them everyone. I went shopping yesterday. I often ship food up from the city.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >