Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#238022 - 11/04/11 01:17 PM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: tinytina]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Tina: Freezing the extra for later was a good move! No waste, that way. smile

What is on everyone's meal planning/grocery agenda for November?

Is the cooler weather bringing about a change in the menus? More squash and other winter vegetables making an appearance? More warming soups and casseroles?

I am looking forward to being able to bake more, now that the days are cooler. In the summer and early fall, when temps. soar to the upper 90s and low 100s, here, and no air conditioning, I rarely turn on the oven. Yes, I know, I should use the crock pot more than I do!

For those of us living in the US, what are your plans for Thanksgiving Dinner, a bit later this month? Is anyone hosting the dinner for family and friends? Do you prepare the entire meal, or do others bring a dish? How do you budget for this special meal? Does it come out of the regular monthly grocery budget, or do you increase the monthly budget by a bit? It's been several years since I hosted Thanksgiving dinner at my house, but I do have a separate budget for special occasions, celebrations, etc. and I augment the regular grocery budget a bit when I have one of these special meals.

#238055 - 11/05/11 04:18 PM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: blessmymess]
Cyd Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: W. Canada
We are trying to reduce back meat consumption to follow the Healthy Food Guidelines. This month I plan to use up deep freeze stored summer OAMC and leftover zip bags of sliced chicken, roast beef and BBQ. Friends for dinner tonight, prosciutto wrapped pork chops with red current cabbage, potato pancakes, marinated salad, fruit crepes.

In my experience, reduced red meat consumption is hardly noticeable when the entree is soup, stew or casserole based. I've started to revamp our family favorites cookbook to emphasis vegetables. For example we enjoy several pasta dishes that use three types of cheese and four different vegetables. Fish, rice, and beans let me experiment with ethnic food styles I've never made before. It's a challenge and makes meal prep more fun. When I make a disaster, it's fast and easy to open a can of tomato soup and grill tuna & cheese melt

#238061 - 11/05/11 07:38 PM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: Cyd]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
I roasted and froze some red peppers today.

I made portobello mushroom burgers today for supper (I marinaded them).

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#238080 - 11/06/11 09:51 AM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: tinytina]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Cyd: Your dinner menu sounded very nice; I'm sure your guests enjoyed it. Good plan to use up what you have in the freezer. Reducing meat consumption will have a budgetary benefit as well as a health benefit, I'm sure. Beef, especially, is so expensive these days.

Tina: Your mushroom burgers sound interesting too.

I've been "bad" these past couple of days - with the house in a mess, I have not felt much like cooking, so, Friday p.m., I bought pizza for dinner and yesterday, I bought hamburgers! Need to get back on track, today. I've already used up more than half my monthly "eating out" budget!

#238087 - 11/06/11 10:29 AM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: blessmymess]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Thanks Bless, the burger turned out awesome. I removed the gills and marinaded the the mushrooms in olive oil, vinegar, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, onion, and garlic for about 2 hours then grilled the mushrooms and put some fresh mozza on top of it and sundried tomatoes.

Today I am making meatloaf and some meatballs for later this week.

Edited by tinytina (11/06/11 10:30 AM)

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#238100 - 11/06/11 03:57 PM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: tinytina]
Frugal4me Online   content
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: WI
@tinytina you are a good cook. The mushrooms sound great.

We are having pizza tonight. I had a coupon for a free one and another coupon for a large for $10. This will give us 4 meals. We normally make our own but since we had the coupons we used them. I am baking brownies for our dessert.

Last night we got soup from chinese takeout and made sandwiches at home.

DH is going to the stock up store for groceries on Saturday. He has a long list. Things are a lot cheaper there.

#238104 - 11/06/11 06:28 PM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: Frugal4me]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Thanks Frugal, I love to cook just not as much fun when I am by myself.

I ended up making meatloaf (3 mini loafs- one for today, one for this week, and one to freeze) with a cranberry glaze for supper and meatballs for later this week. I boiled some baby potatoes and stir-fried some veggies too.

#238122 - 11/07/11 10:24 AM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: tinytina]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Yesterday I used my time well. I was able to start soaking some dried beans on Saturday evening.

Yesterday I made chili and cornbread for today's dinner.

Tomorrow will be corn bread and baked apples for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, and dinner is a spinach, onion, garlic, craisin stuffed pork loin, this is ready to bake also. I'll make some glazed carrots and a side salad to go with it.

Wednesday we'll have cereal and fruit for breakfast. Lunch will be leftovers and we'll have stuffed baked potatoes of either chili or cheesy broccoli for dinner.

Thursday we'll have yogurt, toast and fresh fruit. Lunch will be leftovers. Dinner will be tuna noodle casserole with a spinach salad and kiwis.

Friday will be oatmeal for breakfast. Lunch will be leftovers and dinner will be one pepperoni pizza, one cheese pizza and salad.

Then I'll have to reinventory and see what else I can do until the 15th of November.

#238127 - 11/07/11 10:59 AM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: STRIVING]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
Pulled out a package of 2 turkey legs and 2 wings from the freezer. A quick stuffing, cranberry sauce and corn made a nice cold weather Sunday night dinner by the fireplace.

The goal for the month is to use what's in our freezer and pantry which shouldn't be hard since it's PACKED!

Striving, your pork loin looks fantastic.
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#238182 - 11/08/11 01:15 PM Re: Organizing Meals and Groceries - Fall/Winter 2011 [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Went grocery shopping on Sun. and bought boneless chuck roast ($2.77/lb), bananas ($.69/lb), snacks (hot cheetos & tortilla chips, $1.99 @; 2 liter soda, $.99 @; frozen dinners, $1.99 @, and cat food & treats!

Total came to $44.27, but that includes the cat food ($10.59) & treats ($1.29?) and taxes on them ($1.03); don't have the receipt with me to get the exact amounts, but I think it all comes to approx. $12.91 for the pet food items. So, $31.36 for groceries.

Then, I stopped at the ethnic grocery store, yesterday, and picked up fruits (grapes, fresh coconut, tamarind, blackberries, kiwi, more bananas, persimmons) and vegetables (beets, 10 lb. bag potatoes) and bread rolls; total spent: $13.61

Total spent on groceries so far in Nov: $31.36 + 13.61 = $44.97

The chuck roast I bought, "on sale" for $2.77/lb., was more expensive than chicken, but I wanted a change from chicken (DD didn't care as she's not too fond of beef). It was a bit of a splurge, since the piece I chose was over 4 lbs. and cost $12.85.

But I plan to make several meals from it.

If I go with 4 oz. as a portion (yes, I know, recommended serving size is 3 oz.), then, a 4.6 lb. roast should give me at least 17 portions, which would mean 8 meals for DD and I, and 1 extra meal for 1 person. Cost per portion would be $.75

If I do go with the 3 oz. serving size, then, I should get at least 24 servings = 12 meals for 2 people. Cost per portion would be $.54.

For now, I will plan to serve 8 meals (4 oz. portions), as that seems more realistic, to me.

So far, I've done 3 meals with the roast:

- Sun. dinner (roast beef, steamed carrots & green beans, multi-grain bread)
- Mon. lunch (roast beef, leftover steamed veggies for DD), roast beef sandwich for me
- Tues. lunch (roast beef sandwiches for us both)

Does anyone else figure out cost per portion like this? Or do you calculate the cost per meal?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >