Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#235302 - 08/30/11 02:17 PM Re: I've gotten back into BINDERS [Re: beaglelady]
californiagirl Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Oakhurst, CA
beaglelady...Doesn't sound weird at all to me. I'm the same way about not wanting to pay for those things. I've taken file folders that have seen better days, cut them on the fold line, punched 3 holes and used those for dividers. Actually, truth be told, I've done it OFTEN! I don't even think I have any REAL dividers for my binders. wink

#235303 - 08/30/11 04:58 PM Re: I've gotten back into BINDERS [Re: californiagirl]
Waterlady Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New York
Beaglelady, Great Idea too!!! Thanks.

#235337 - 08/31/11 12:05 PM Re: I've gotten back into BINDERS [Re: Waterlady]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterford, MI
Carol, too funny as I do the same thing too.

They are teasing me at work right now as i found some really cute folders at a ridiculous price. I have training of the staff to do so that folder is my organizing station so to speak. When someone needs info from me I tell them to go to the doggie folder(it is covered in tons of cartoon style dogs)

#235470 - 09/03/11 03:37 PM Re: I've gotten back into BINDERS [Re: beaglelady]
Waterlady Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Did Beaglelady's trick today with the slicing of the page protector. I didn't want to wait to buy the tabs.

WORKED GREAT!!! THANK YOU!!!!!My Easy Organizer is now that much easier!!!

#235500 - 09/04/11 08:19 AM Re: I've gotten back into BINDERS [Re: Waterlady]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: University Park, MD
I like binders, and have several for various purposes. I plan to set up a few more. I prefer the thinner ones (1 1/2 inches or narrower), as I find that I rarely need a wide one for a particular subject, and the larger ones are harder to handle.

On the other hand, I still keep a lot of info in my filing cabinet, because the total space required is less. The narrowest binder is at least 1/2 inch, whereas most files are narrower than that. Some files have maybe 1/8 inch of papers in them. So part of what determines if I use a binder or not is what I need to store, or how many "subdivisions" I need. I set up a binder for Toastmasters and for my computer because it was easier to organize and find material than to just have it in a folder. I tend to have in binders things I refer to more often, and in folders items that are more for occasional reference.

I highly recommend color-coding binders to make it easier to find what you are looking for - unless you prefer a uniform look and have some other way (numbers?) of quickly telling them apart.

#235546 - 09/05/11 07:25 AM Re: I've gotten back into BINDERS [Re: simplicity]
Waterlady Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

My most important binder is my business checking account. I have monthly tabs, Jan-Dec.

I photocopy all checks and deposit slips and immediately put them in the binder before leaving for the bank. When the statement comes in, that goes in the front of that month. I can easily see and reference all deposits and double check if necessary who paid me. Helps a lot at tax time.

#235634 - 09/07/11 12:05 AM Re: I've gotten back into BINDERS [Re: Waterlady]
raymond_valerie Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Canada
Lots of great ideas here, ladies! Beaglelady, I LOVE your divider solution! I'm going to have to try that.

I love my D binders. I won't get regular ones anymore, even if they are ridiculously cheap smile I just love that when you open and close the D binder, the papers don't move and your back pages don't get ruined smile

#235736 - 09/08/11 09:20 PM Re: I've gotten back into BINDERS [Re: raymond_valerie]
Suzy Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Indiana/Arizona
I'm a binder convert & wrote in a JDI post about how I helped my sister-in-law who has cancer organize all her medical stuff in a binder & the docs (5) at her consultation that she was tape recording (another idea I thought up as she had a hard time writing notes & keeping track of the ongoing conversation) spent so much time "oohing & aahing" about the binder that she had to turn off the tape recorder & rewind so as not to use up all the tape before the actual consultation began! She said the docs were very impressed (thanks GONers!).

I have LARGE binders for medical stuff--a tab for each doctor & a tab for stuff that is filed & awaiting payment from insurance (haha) & those that need to be filed, bills paid, all receipts from each appt., etc.

Then I have the binder which I have named "For When I'm Not Here" (husband doesn't like the title) but I have a table of contents & was able to prove its value recently when he got a new laptop & needed to set it up for our wifi at home & in AZ. It was located easily in the binder!!

I also have a binder for my mail-order medications. What a complicated nightmare!

When you label the binders front & back & on the side that is very important when you are a binder fiend like I am!--Suzy

I have a binder for everything!

For me it is so much easier than filing. I label them w/sticky "name tags" (large labels) front, side & back so that I know what is in every one. Also, if I need all this info. I can just grab the binder instead of searching through a file.

Also, have you seen the "backpack files"? they are closed on 3 sides & kind of stand upright rather than sideways like a normal file folder. It is great for traveling; I keep all our travel stuff in these & they fit into my (YES!) backpack that I carry on the plane very well & they have really cute patterns (I guess they think only young people use back packs!).

#235746 - 09/09/11 01:43 AM Re: I've gotten back into BINDERS [Re: Suzy]
raymond_valerie Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Canada
Suzy, I love the backpack files! I have 4-6 and used them constantly in university. It's been a while since I used them, but they're a great tool smile

#235781 - 09/09/11 01:28 PM Re: I've gotten back into BINDERS [Re: raymond_valerie]
Waterlady Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

OK you got my curiosity up, I don't think I've ever seen a backpack file. I know we can't do links, but can you post who makes them? (avery, mead ?)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >