Topic Options
#235515 - 09/04/11 01:15 PM Sneaky Bordering on Dishonest
Organized-Forever Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: BC, Canada
This is something that I have had happen to me more than once and there are a couple of different approaches.

1/ Someone will email me and say they need help with organizing a particular project related to decluttering. Then they will list a whole series of questions asking how many hours it will take and asking me to explain how I will work with them and what exactly we will do.

The last question is how much will it be? Am I insured etc etc

2/The second way this happens is by phone. The caller will say they are so overwhelmed and disorganized as they have a number of children or they are working all day.

The next question is how do I structure the sessions. I tell them that it is best if we meet to discuss these things and I can fully go over the questions asked at our meeting.

They ask how much I charge? I usually say it depends, I have to see the premises first before I can quote you a price. (They are not very happy with that and press for some kind of answer.)

Having worked with many clients I know most of them are not organized enough to ask questions like this in such a detailed manner. Yes, they all ask how much but not in the same way. They do not list out questions for me before we meet.

From those questions and a few others usually asked it became clear to me that these people were PO wannabees perhaps setting up a business. Not one of them scheduled a meeting for their overwhelming problems.

With these types of bogus inquiries I do not share much information and keep insisting on a first meeting. The conversations don't happen twice from the same caller.

I am very open to mentoring new PO's and will share many helpful tips and resources to help them out. Those are the honest ones that have emailed and said they saw my website and wanted to ask me some questions as they were thinking of going into the business.

I enjoy helping others in this way but I am very disgusted that a prospective PO would stoop to such sneaky tactics to get information from me about my business techniques.

Has this happened to you?
Get Organized Forever!

#235524 - 09/04/11 05:13 PM Re: Sneaky Bordering on Dishonest [Re: Organized-Forever]
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Judy- Have you ever said "Wow, you are really organized in your approach to finding an organizer. That says a lot about you and that underneath your explanation, I see that you are organized at heart."

Sort of a "caught ya" without saying so.

Of course this has happened to me too.

#235587 - 09/06/11 02:34 AM Re: Sneaky Bordering on Dishonest [Re: Lea Schneider]
Platinum (100+ Posts)

ROFL, Darn, I never thought of that one, what a good response!

I guess you know too that it is pretty easy to spot these types once you have some experience with real clients.
Get Organized Forever!

#235606 - 09/06/11 10:55 AM Re: Sneaky Bordering on Dishonest [Re: Organized-Forever]
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

I find that client's often are not sure where to start. We talk about everything going on and make a plan.

Someone who is very organized would tend to be specific- I need my closet organized.

#236839 - 10/04/11 08:36 PM Re: Sneaky Bordering on Dishonest [Re: Lea Schneider]
BonnieJoy Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Fairfield County, CT
Lea, I have had that happen to me. I was told when I was starting out NEVER to pretend to be a potential client. However, I think it comes from organizer's responses. I was clear about starting my business and not knowing the rules, I asked about pricing. I had some mean organizers chastise me, be rude to me and one even threatened to press charges against me for asking. So I can see why people hide their intentions. However, I agree that it is important to qualify even potential clients before releasing information. I think that requesting photos is the easiest and most fool proof way to make sure that the client really does have an organizing need. That can be in home or via photos.
http://blog.thejoyfulorganizer.com
http://radioshow.thejoyfulorganizer.com

#237074 - 10/10/11 08:24 AM Re: Sneaky Bordering on Dishonest [Re: BonnieJoy]
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Requesting photos is a great idea.

I recently caught someone since we started this thread. I guess it was on my mind. The person called asking some very good questions but the thread of their questions was quite organized. They were well thought out. Usually, a potential client doesn't have a lot of questions. They have more statements about what is going on in their life. The typical two questions are what do you charge and do you think you can help me. Beyond that is unusual.

So I said "Wow, your thought process on this is very organized. That tells me that you are really an organized person. So how new is this disorganized problem?"

There was an ummmm...well...it is new. Really, I've even thought of being an organizer myself...

#237125 - 10/11/11 11:08 AM Re: Sneaky Bordering on Dishonest [Re: Lea Schneider]
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Good catch Lea, and I too think the request for a picture is a great idea. Likely they'd say they don't have a digital camera or come up with some excuse like, ok, I'll send it to you and you would never hear from them again. LOL
Get Organized Forever!

#238151 - 11/07/11 12:49 PM Re: Sneaky Bordering on Dishonest [Re: Organized-Forever]
BonnieJoy Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Fairfield County, CT
Yes everyone seems to have a camera on their phone now and you can share right from there.

I think honestly is the best policy and if you want to talk with an organizer ask to take them out for a drink, coffee or ice cream sundaes!
http://blog.thejoyfulorganizer.com
http://radioshow.thejoyfulorganizer.com

#239842 - 12/19/11 12:35 PM Re: Sneaky Bordering on Dishonest [Re: BonnieJoy]
PureandSimple Offline
Bronze (Newbie)

Loc: North Carolina
I emailed several organizers in different areas of the country when I started researching the organizing industry. Some didnt reply, others sent a typical response saying they charge $X/hour to give guidance, and others were very warm and inviting. I had a few even mention that they appreciated my open and honesty as it is pretty common to receive those dishonest emails.

I took one organizer to coffee and she gave pretty good business advice but clearly no trade secrets. I hit a home run when I found a business organizer to mentor me along. Our businesses were so similar yet I had no interest in working with companies and she had no interest in working in home organizing...anymore.

I havent had anyone email asking sneaky questions that sound like they are doing their own research on the market and competition but I have had a ton of emails asking if I needed part time help!