Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#232101 - 06/21/11 03:34 PM making list
lola Offline
Silver (25-49 Posts)

Loc: Alabama
I have finally made a list of things for each room. How detailed do I need to get? Do anyone of yall make list

#232103 - 06/21/11 04:02 PM Re: making list [Re: lola]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
Here at GON, we advocate what we call THE MASTER LIST. It can be as detailed or as broad as you wish. It's whatever works for you.
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#232108 - 06/21/11 05:11 PM Re: making list [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
lola Offline
Silver (25-49 Posts)

Loc: Alabama
Thanks Chef. Just seeing how much details different people did with theis. I know no two of us will do things the same way

#232111 - 06/21/11 05:23 PM Re: making list [Re: lola]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
I only put on things I need to repair, not regular ongoing things like Clean off desk. Even if you do that, chances are you will have to do it again next week.
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#232133 - 06/22/11 10:47 AM Re: making list [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterford, MI
I have a couple of lists going as a general rule.

I have a projects notebook that is very detailed. It is laid out by room, living, dining kitchen, etc. For instance in the office(bedroom 3), I want to make wood valances and drapes. So I wrote valances and the numbers 1 and 2 next to it, as there are 2 windows in the room. This way if only one gets done, i can cross it off as finished. I break it down so I give myself mini pats on the back. I also get to see everything I am doing.

Like many others here, I don't really have lists for day to day cleaning.

#232679 - 07/05/11 09:00 AM Re: making list [Re: beaglelady]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: University Park, MD
I have a master list, and a daily list, and I do put a lot on it! I might write "wash curtains," because that's not something I routinely do. I usually put "water plants" to be sure I don't forget them, and lately have been putting "water outdoor plants if no rain" because it's been so dry. I might write "mail birthday card to DB" to allow enough time for it to get there, etc. I admit that there is more on my list than necessary, sometimes. I like the satisfaction of crossing things off, which is encouraging on days when I don't accomplish as much as I'd hoped to.

For tasks that take a while, I put numbers after them: "Work on taxes", and then, say, numbers from 1 to 10. It will take me at least that many sessions to get them finished.

I also make notes of critical actions to take. For example, "Call Blue Cross to straighten out hospital bill."

I often arrange the things in order, either by priority or by when they will happen, with morning tasks first, and something such as book club (in the evening) later.

I have discovered that of course, I rarely get everything done that I want to. I've begun to ask myself, "What do I absolutely HAVE to get done today?" This helps me list the most crucial things. Eventually, of course, one must do things, listed or not, such as laundry or groceries or emptying the garbage. But the list helps me focus.

The master list is not only so I don't forget things, but so I don't lie awake nights, or get restless during the day, wondering if I will remember them. It's a "brain dump," to clear my mind so I can focus on other things I need to do.

#232691 - 07/05/11 09:38 AM Re: making list [Re: simplicity]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
Most days, my daily To DO list is shared among the family, so I will often be quite detailed, particularly if it's a project I'm turning over to one of the children. It lets them know what I'm expecting, and helps make sure all the details get finished.

Otherwise, I make the list just as detailed as I need it to be for my own needs. Some days, it's loose and sketchy. Some days, more detailed. On my Master List (of which I am the Master!) I will often leave space for projects to be fleshed out, and I'll make further notes on those in spare moments.

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

#239125 - 11/30/11 08:58 PM Re: making list [Re: ElizabethClark]
halebop Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Lost in the clutter
I like to call my list - "My daily agenda". I took a normal sheet of paper and set up different areas like: calls to make, errands to run, areas to de-clutter, daily to do's such as Monday's are sweep, mop and dust each room, clean bathrooms and toss in rugs.

I have a master sheet for each day of the week. I have highlighted things like "garbage night" so I remember to take the garbage to the street. Also I water all my plants on Sunday's so that is also highlighted on Sunday's master sheet. It is more of a gentle reminder.

As I complete the task - be it a phone call, errand, project that I am working on, I highlight it in a different color. This shows me my progress and what needs to be transferred to the next page that evening.

www.pinterest.com/daysez

"God does not give us everything we want, but He does fulfil all His promises...leading us along the best and straightest paths to Himself."

#242394 - 02/09/12 07:52 PM Re: making list [Re: halebop]
mother christmas Offline
Silver (25-49 Posts)

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I am trying to come up with my 2012 year plan on paper but having a hard time.

I am going to have make a couple of different sections
section 1 - yearly goal
section 2 - monthly goal
section 3 - project breakdown

So what I want to do in the yearly goal is write down everything that I want to get down in this year.

Then in the monthly goal decide on which items I think I can get done in that month.

The the project breakdown I will breakdown each room and what I want to do in this and what I might need.

I hope that this is understandable it is really hard to write it down the way that I am thinking about it!

#242460 - 02/11/12 11:23 AM Re: making list [Re: mother christmas]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
Everyone adapts the basic principles in ways that make the most sense for themselves... this sounds *very* workable! Just one word of warning: don't let list making take over. smile I fight that--I'm always good for making a list, and not-so-good at getting started on *something* rather than re-perfecting my list. LOL

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >