Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#219860 - 10/03/10 07:54 AM My home "makeover"
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Moncton, NB
I'm not new to GON, I'm more like the lost sheep returning home. So many things have happened since I was here and my house was SO neglected that it looks like a tornado went by. I've decided that this was the month to start changing things around.

I'm now retired (since the spring of this year) and hate living in this mess. I know it's a long term challenge. It didn't get this way overnight and will need time to get re-organized. This coming week will be spent doing as much work as I can in 1 room a day so it looks a bit more decent. After that, I'll get down to the nitty gritty. For today, I'll be putting my "organizing plan" on paper. So off I go.... smile

#219880 - 10/03/10 01:49 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Didi Offline
Bronze (Newbie)

So glad you're back! It also got me back to goning too.

This week, I'll work 13 minutes a day in my spare room from Monday to Friday. That will certainly help decrease the stuff I've been hoarding in there; hard to find the bed anymore!

And, this month, I'll be thankfull for all the blessing I take so much for granted...

#219886 - 10/03/10 05:19 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Didi]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
Andreala:
Just keep at it, working in babysteps, and decluttering. I can see wanting to do a room a day, but why not do a room a week or month? You are more than welcome to go over to the Motivational thread and work with us.

Didi:
WELCOME to GON! Just do your babysteps, get your boxes set up for KEEP, DONATIONS, and GOES ELSEWHERE and good luck. Tell us your progress as you go along, and post the donations in the Tossing thread!

#219890 - 10/03/10 05:27 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Didi, how nice that you're jumping in again at the same time as me!!!

Dianaro2, nice to hear from you. The reason I want to do a room a day is just to make the rooms look humanly habitated. I won't be getting the whole room clean in 1 day but may be able to make it look more presentable. THEN, I'll be able to do 1 project at a time.

I will go read on the motivational thread. I need all the help I can get right now as I find all this a bit overwhelming which is why after a quick week of pick up, I'll do 1 project at a time.

#219891 - 10/03/10 05:36 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Waterlady Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New York
Andreala!!!! Was thinking about you sooo much lately, so glad to see you!!!!!!

How is your sister?? Is she still on the threads? Please PM me if you have a minute.

#219898 - 10/03/10 08:23 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Waterlady]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

So nice to hear from you Waterlady, I've missed you. I went to PM you (it must be a new feature on GON?) and there was your email so I wrote to you.

#219926 - 10/04/10 12:56 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho
Andreala, welcome back! So good to see you! The best way to start is to get the plan down on paper and then work the plan. I affirm your plan to work a room a day to get them presentable. That makes them so much less overwhelming.

Didi, Welcome! You've got the concepts of baby steps and are applying them! Good job!
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

#219932 - 10/04/10 03:36 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Thanks for the warm welcome, Bonnie

Well, I'm happy to say I made some progress. Actually, I could wait and last evening did some PUPA in the kitchen and living room. This morning, I swept my floors and this afternoon, I cleaned in the bathroom. It's just surface cleaning but it looks so much better.

I do have a master list of what needs to be done in every room so will check off what I've done.

I also payed my bills online and did some paper taming. I'm happy with my first day.

#219938 - 10/04/10 05:30 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala:
Good going for your first day!

#219956 - 10/05/10 10:35 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala, I'm with Diana...Good Going! Don't forget those little rewards too...they are not only fun, they are motivating!

#219961 - 10/05/10 10:52 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Tidy Tina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: NW Arkansas
Andreala, I'm so excited about your home makeover project! And I really like your plan of action. There is nothing as motivating as success, and with your idea of doing a surface clean/tidy in each room first, you'll feel so much better and want to do more.

Elaine

#219965 - 10/05/10 11:45 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Tidy Tina]
Cari Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: North Texas
Andreala, your post has inspired me to get going on my house as well. I've let things slide for way too long LOL And I really don't have any excuses - I live alone, and I know my dog doesn't create the messes. I'm off to re-do my master list.

#219968 - 10/05/10 02:42 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Cari]
ann39 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Canada
Hello Andreala(pretty name). I may as well call my work a home makeover because once I get into it it will change the whole house yet again. I am sure you know how this goes.. Move one thing to accomodate another and your off. I am bringing the basement bedroom area back up to the small room upstairs. this necessitates moving a lounger a table and desk downstairs. Other smaller pieces travel around a bit looking for a new home and of course whilst looking at this chaos it could appear on any of the threads,but right now it is indeed a makeover there will be tossing too.Ann 39

#219987 - 10/06/10 07:13 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: ann39]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Cari & Ann39, I'm so glad to have more company. It will make it that much more motivating.

Yesterday, I picked up the plants from the garden of the cucumbers and tomatoes I had picked the day before and bagged those. I dusted the living room, went to the hairdresser (hadn`t been there in about 9 years as I usually cut them myself) and went to my knitting night in the evening (I do that every Tuesday). So it was a more of a fun day.

Today is bedroom day. I have to wait till DH gets up to start working in there but I`ll do some pickling in the meantime.

#219992 - 10/06/10 08:25 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

It is so much fun to work together. Good going Andreala, on taking and rewarding yourself. We all need that.

Ann
So good to see you again. I miss when you don't post.

Doing a room a week after the new year myself helped to see what I needed to get done after things were straightened out, so it really is helpful. You GO GIRLS!

#220018 - 10/06/10 10:30 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
Cari Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: North Texas
I'm going to postpone my participation in this 'makeover' until Oct. 18. I'm going out of town next week on vacation and the rest of this week I have work to do plus get ready for the trip.

Andreala, sounds like you are making progress - congratulations!

I'm planning on using part of my vacation time to plan out the rest of the year. I'll be staying in a cabin at a state park, so I'll have lots of free time, and with it getting darker earlier I'll be spending time indoors. No roaming around the woods/lake at night for me LOL

#220020 - 10/06/10 11:10 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Cari]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I hope you have a nice vacation Cari!!! I'll still be at it when you come back. LOL Progress is very slow this week as I'm trying to do my pickles at the same time.

Today, I removed a few item from my bedroom that didn't belong there, I did 1 load of laundry, 1 batch of bread & butter pickles, one of chow and one of pickled beets after having picked all the beets from the garden. Now I have nothing left to bring in; just plants that need to be bagged. I'll do that on the weekend.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring....

#220033 - 10/07/10 07:53 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Cari
Have a safe and enjoyable vacation.

Andreala:
That is great all that you are accomplishing in one day!
WHOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO (Goner cheer for you).

#220053 - 10/07/10 12:39 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Cari, have fun! Sounds like a great way to just renew!

Ann, good to see you again!

Andreala, you are going full steam ahead to move forward with your plan. Great work!

Diana, I like the idea of a room a week. Wonder if I could pull that off?

#220062 - 10/07/10 04:28 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
ann39 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I am still makeing over my bedrooms. You wouldnt know itbecause the small room(waiting fo the bed is now the discard centre so I must get my focus back.
Tell me to move somewhere else if I am in the wrong thread.
I had my eyes done today (field test so tonight I cant move my neck) BUT tomorrow
Empty small chest of drawers to carry downstairs.DH and I can do this.
Move small decorative table down. Its very light.
Pack all summer shoes and purses away. (on the floor) toss many.
Vacuum and clean room ready for bed.Thats like a JDI list isnt it?
Next I have an awful lot on my mind that are becoming worries and I think I am going to find a way to explain them to myself probably on the project thread or maybe fix . they are very differnt projects none of them hobbies because they demand attention now. All little daily baby steps but I need someone to keep me moving and accountable. The days slip by so quickly. Ann 39

#220068 - 10/08/10 07:47 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: ann39]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

You're at the right place Ann. I need someone to keep me accountable too. How true that the days go by so quickly. Yesterday, I went to my sister's for a visit in the morning and DD#2 came here with 2 of her kids in the afternoon and had supper here. Needless to say, my good intentions went by the way side.

Today, I need to:
clean out my fridge
clean kitchen light fixtures
hem curtains for DSIL
renew car registration
make pickles (I'll be glad when I run out of veggies)

I could add more but I'll see how much energy I have left after doing these.

#220074 - 10/08/10 08:16 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Ann
I find that at this time of the year there are alot more things to do in preparation for the cold weather, clothing, yard, etc.
Don't let it overwhelm you. If the yard doesn;t get done, that is okay, the clothing is another thing...you need to stay warm and cuddly. LOL

Andreala:
Family first! What a lovely day you spent with your sisters!
In case you haven't noticed, the work waits!

#220154 - 10/09/10 12:49 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

All I did Friday was clean out the fridge and renew the car registration. This weekend, I'm not making a to-do list. Whatever I do will be a bonus.

Yes, Dianaro, I've noticed that the work waits and so did my DH. LOL

#220167 - 10/09/10 08:08 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

This evening, I worked down the basement for 1 1/2 hours. I had to move some stuff around to get a shelf where I wanted it to put my preserves on it. Got rid of some junk along the way. There was a bowl I didn't know if I should keep or throw out. I set it on a box and later the cat made it fall down and break; was that a sign or what? LOL

#220194 - 10/10/10 09:55 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
catsmeow Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: no california
andreala,smart cat you got there.it knew to get rid of it!

#220207 - 10/10/10 04:08 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: catsmeow]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

catsmeow, yes, she's a smart cat indeed. Can't help but love her.

Today I did some moving around in my craft room. I had a big heavy shelf that I wanted moved to the corner of the room as it's too deep and stuck out. Again, it took a lot of maneuvering but I did it. Now that the furniture is where I want it to be, it will be easier to declutter. Oh joy!!!

#220344 - 10/13/10 07:47 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Yesterday, I cleaned the car as the nice weather won't be lasting too much longer. Lately, I've been going through papers and stuff in my craft room. Baby stepping away. ;-)

#220423 - 10/15/10 09:08 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
ann39 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I disappeared for a week. Andreala. I have to do that quite often BUT I always read even if in bed all the GONers keep me in touch with reality and life. I have come back to this page because whilst out of working my wonderful DH kept things on track for me. The basement has been sorted . the bed is back up in the upstairs room. now its up to me to slowly make it up and refix the room into a guest room for grandkids etc. and the new exercise equipment is down where I will use it. So I am back on track.Diane I did respond to your kind remarks about keeping cosy and warm .Somewhere in cyberspace something is reading it. you are such a friend it means a lot to me.

#220424 - 10/15/10 09:37 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: ann39]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Ann, how nice that hubby kept things moving along for you!!!

The most exerting thing I did yesterday was cook supper. I've caught the cold that's been going around and decided to take it easy. I rested in the daytime and knitted and watched TV in the evening. Today, I'll try to do some paper taming again as that's not too exerting and I have oodles of that to do.

#220425 - 10/15/10 10:13 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Ann, that's great that your dh has been keeping things on track for you! That takes a big burden off. Babysteps will get your guest room exactly where it needs to be.

Andreala your plan to take it easy and take care of yourself is a good one. Don't overdo or it takes forever to recover. No such thing as "just a cold".

#220457 - 10/16/10 09:10 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
ann39 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

continuing on with the makeover.The second bedroom looks nice.and my laptop and radio speakers are on a wheeling cart and much more pratical in the kitchen. I do leave it plugged in and now I have easy access to my recipes etc.. You can tell I am pleased because things are more funtional for me. Simplification and functionality are ongoing mantras for me now as my mobility worsens.The other thing that happens is more and more donations because I really can address what I really need now. At 72 it has an extra meaning because I do not want to leave a mess behind.( in case I move) .

Edited by ann39 (10/16/10 09:37 AM)

#220459 - 10/16/10 09:42 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
tulabind Offline
Bronze (Newbie)

Loc: Missouri
Boy do I need help. To start with I can't do a lot of heavy and I'm in my 60's. I have to find a way to get this small kitchen in order. We don't have much space or cabinets. any advice would help

#220496 - 10/17/10 11:57 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: tulabind]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

ann, you're moving right along with your makeover. I like the idea of the laptop on wheels. I have mine in the dining room so don't have easy access to recipes. You've given me food for thought.

Jackie, my advice would be to go through one shelf or drawer at a time and see if all needs to be there. Some things that are not used frequently could be stored somewhere else than in your cupboards. If you're like me, you even have things that you don't use but keep "in case" I need it.

I'm 57, soon to be 58 and I find as I age, I get more selective as to what I want to keep. I have a lot of "stuff" to go through but am more ruthless in my weeding than I've even been.

My productivity has been put on hold lately because I've caught the cold and also have asthma. I don't want to end up in the hospital (been there, done that, too many times in the past) so I'm trying to be good. But my head is spinning with all the things I want to do.

#220510 - 10/17/10 04:23 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala:
Write the things down until you feel better and can get to one thing or another when you feel better.

Ann:
So good to hear how positive you are! WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO you go woman!

#220513 - 10/17/10 04:34 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
Cyd Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: W. Canada
tulabind, I've sent you a message which will show up in pulsing 'my stuff' located at the top line.

#220696 - 10/20/10 06:00 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Cyd]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

OK, I have to start. I don't feel good but I can't wait till I feel good. The house is turning into a disaster area. Yesterday, I cooked my first meal in 4 days (had take-out twice and DS cooked the other night). Last evening, I loaded the dishwasher and read in Maria's book, "Finally organized, finally free", which I've read in often but never read it all yet. It gave me the motivation to get started today.

Today, I washed my pots and pans that were piled up on the counter and stove top. After supper, I cleaned the stove top and part of the counter. I'm also on my second load of laundry. My energy is wearing out. That may be all I'll produce today but at least, I've started.

Now, I'll take some "me" time while the wash is going.....

#220714 - 10/21/10 10:25 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Jackie, WELCOME! Andreala gave you some great advice. Start with one drawer at a time. When it comes time to get to the heavier stuff, check with a local church to see if there are youth group members who could help with the heavy lifting and such.

Andreala, glad to see you are taking some me time. Sounds like you have a good handle on getting things back into shape.

#220742 - 10/21/10 07:02 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Today I did some cleaning in the kitchen and 3 loads of laundry. I'm tired but happy. It's awful how fast you lose your strength when you're inactive for a while. I also went for a slow walk around the block after supper.

Not strong but still here!!!

#220805 - 10/23/10 09:20 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Yesterday, I did a 15 minute cleaning spree in our bedroom. I was amazed myself in what I did in that length of time. I also did a menu for the next week so I can go grocery shop and have all I need in one trip. I used to do this but haven't in ages. Time to shape up!!!

I also took the dog for a longer walk and it was easier than the day before. I'll get there!!!!

#220816 - 10/23/10 01:17 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
Go, Andreala! The menu plan is a boon, isn't it? And I love to see how much can be done in a short burst of time, though it sort of kills my favorite procrastination excuse of "It'll take too long..." smile

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

#220822 - 10/23/10 05:53 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: ElizabethClark]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Good going Andreala, the walking, planning and cleaning. Good Going GONer! WHOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO

#221357 - 11/04/10 08:47 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
Didi Offline
Bronze (Newbie)

Hello everyone!

I did the spare room and got rid of so much that I now have empty bins!

And guess what? I no sooner got organized that DH decided that we'd be moving to another apartment in the same building but larger and with a balcony and island in the kitchen...hummmm.... have mixed emotions. The space and apartment are two things I look forward to but not to moving and packing and again getting reorganized... Oh well, when I'm settled in I'll be happier there with the lovely view and sitting out in the summer as well

I'm happy to be decluttered but still have room to throw away some more
I'll do that as we move

Every one is doing fine and sorry I didn't post sooner

#221368 - 11/04/10 12:35 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Didi]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
Good going on the decluttering so far! Moving to a new flat can be a second stage of de-cluttering, and the balcony sounds lovely!!

I'm with you on the short moves being a pill--I told DH that when we move again, it better be across a state or two. smile Moving does, however, spur a certain amount of dispassion for me, because if I don't just LOVE it, I don't want to pack it. smile

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

#221371 - 11/04/10 03:58 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: ElizabethClark]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Didi, congratulations on the decluttering! You're already in a better position for moving...although I would be with you on the mixed feelings!

Elizabeth, I agree on the don't pack if we don't LOVE it.....not worth the effort to pack, move and unpack.

#221379 - 11/04/10 08:46 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
catsmeow Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: no california
another good way to get rid of things besides moving is to get new carpets put in the house.

we had to take everything out of the house and closets.

i got rid of a pick up load of stuff.theses were things i wanted but the idea of bringing them back in depressed me so i got rid of it all.

never missed a single thing!

#221449 - 11/07/10 07:08 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: catsmeow]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Congrats Didi on your decluttering. I certainly wouldn't want to have to move. Not yet anyway.

I've started decluttering my craft room. As I go through stuff, I either keep, throw away or put in a box to be given away. So far, I'm getting rid of as much as I keep. I can't wait to have at least 1 room organized.

My plan: I will keep cleaning one room a week, just to do the upkeep and then declutter in my room. I will get there!!!

#221537 - 11/09/10 06:43 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Yesterday, I cleaned the bathroom and did some more decluttering in my craft room. Baby-stepping away!!!

#221540 - 11/09/10 07:31 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Good for you ANDREALA!
The babysteps get you where you are going without being overwhelmed IMHO. Keep at it. Amazing how much stuff we have isn't it?

I took a large leaf bag and a bin over to GoodWill yesterday.
About 50 things, clothing, VHS tapes, containers, linens.

#221578 - 11/09/10 01:49 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala you are doing great!!!!

#221686 - 11/12/10 01:07 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Oh my, I've gotten addicted to decluttering. It's at the point where I let the rest of the house in it's neglected state. Not good. I'll have to try to limit my time in there.

I have so much stuff to go through. Piles and piles of papers that are mixed: bills (payed), patterns, magazines, you name it. I've gotten rid of a lot of papers and pattern books. The magazines I set aside to read later.

Thanks for the encouragement Dianaro and BonnieS!!!

#221707 - 11/13/10 08:02 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Waterlady Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Good work Andreala!! Sounds like you are really on a roll!

#221863 - 11/17/10 10:11 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Waterlady]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Thanks Waterlady. I am on a roll. Two days ago, I've started decluttering the closet in my craft room. It's coming along. It was full to overflowing. I had to start by dealing with the stuff that stopped the door from closing (yes, I'm ashamed to say it was that bad). I don't take the time to go through pattern books now; I'll do that later. They go in bins for now but the rest gets sorted through. I'm happy to report I get rid of about 1/2 of it.

#221884 - 11/17/10 09:15 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala, congratulations! That's awesome to have gotten rid of half the closet contents already!

#221935 - 11/19/10 08:06 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

It just shows what a hoarder I was. I can hardly believe myself the things I had saved.

#221939 - 11/19/10 09:14 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Amazing when you become a GONer how differently we think of things. Good job Andreala!

#222181 - 11/26/10 02:05 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

My husband had bought a load of cassettes during the summer (over 1000). They were just on the floor in his computer room in boxes and in piles as he doesn't use that room anymore. Needless to say, that room couldn't hardly be walked in. It took me 3 days but I went through all the cassettes to sort the keepers from the losers. There were some duplicates plus some younger music we're not interested in. Our keepers are now all in racks on shelves. The losers are waiting for my sister and daughter to go through them (as they still have cassette players) and then will find their way out the door.

Today, I used up some elbow grease. I cleaned the kitchen windows and then the outside of the stove, fridge, microwave and stand, TV and stand, garbage can and little table.

Now, I'll get supper ready and will probably knit while watching TV this evening. Tomorrow I'm going to a Christmas craft fair with one of my daughters. I sometimes fail to report but I'm moving forward....

#222245 - 11/28/10 10:23 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Yesterday, I cleaned the kitchen light fixtures, the fan on a stand so I could put it away for the winter and the step stool. I also finished knitting the mitts I was working on so I can deliver them later today. Life is good; never a dull moment.

#222268 - 11/28/10 05:35 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala, you may just have this done by the new year! You are doing great. Good job especially on the cassettes! That's a lot of work to sort thru those!

#222287 - 11/29/10 08:05 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala:
WHOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO (GONer cheer) on the tossing of the cassettes. You sure are doing some deep cleaning also. Feels good, I know.

I just recently moved all my "Crafting" items, except the sewing down into the basement and was totally amazed and shocked at all I had. Once the holidays are over I hope to lessen that too.

Great going on the mittens too!

#222589 - 12/07/10 08:22 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

BonnieS, not a chance that I'll have this done for the New Year. I still have soooo much stuff to go through.

Dianaro2, while you're moving your crafting stuff downstairs, I'm trying to make room for my yarn in my craft room as it is now downstairs. LOL

Yesterday, I cut some boards to make some shelves that I'll put in the closet of my craft room to put my yarn. It's not a fancy job; I'll just put some cases on each side to rest the boards on (don't want them fixed there permanently) and the cases will also serve to store some more craft stuff. ;-)

This is such a slow process but at least, I'm moving forward. Yesterday, I had to take the time to wash my hall and living room floors. Last week I had to shorten 4 sets of curtains for my son and found out my sewing machine wasn't working as good as it should. I'll buy some oil and hope that's just what's wrong with it. If not, I'll have to bring it in for repair.

#222613 - 12/07/10 08:02 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala
So great minds work alike! LOL My items are all down there, calling my name to hurry up with the holidays and get down there to play! LOL

Going to try my hand at knitting again. Want to look for the pattern and show the ladies what I could do once! LOL Think I will start with a scarf.

#222639 - 12/08/10 10:03 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala, that was a very creative solution to the yarn storage! Good idea and double duty storage too!

Diana, I'm betting you do fine on the knitting....it's kind of like riding a bike, once you learn, you never forget!

#223909 - 01/07/11 08:11 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

How exciting it is to be a in a new year. I've decided this was my year. I spent the first 2 days making my lists. I've revamped my master task list and marked birthdays to come on my new calendar.

On the 3rd, I took down the Christmas decorations.

On the 4, I finished putting up the tub surround that I had started months ago. I was quite happy I was able to put the holes for the taps and shower head at the right place. I had never done something like this before. I want to do as much of the work by myself as I can. I know I'll need professional help later on for some other makeover projects so I'm trying to save $.

On the 5th, I took the car to the garage, went to the pharmacy and grocery store.

On the 6th, yesterday, I applied the silicone to the tub surround. I had never worked with that stuff before and found it quite messy. It's not a professional job but looks quite presentable. I was glad I had taken the time to put the masking tape before even though I hated to. I also cleaned out 1 bathroom drawer. I got rid of about 1/3 of it's content. :-)

#223923 - 01/07/11 10:17 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala, good job! You've really gotten off to a great start. Congratulations on tackling the bathroom. That's a big accomplishment! Now you know you can do it!

#224122 - 01/11/11 11:22 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Moving slowly but surely. I've put back the shower curtain rod and washed the tub, so we can now shower again. I bought some new light fixtures and put them up yesterday. I then cleaned off the counter as you see so much better with these lights. (Only 1 of the 2 worked before and there wasn't enough wire to solder it which I don't mind as they were quite old fashion)

#224123 - 01/11/11 11:46 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Progress is good! You are doing great Andreala!

#224169 - 01/11/11 09:48 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
Cyd Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: W. Canada
Great progress Andreala,way to go girl! What's next on your list

#224253 - 01/13/11 11:02 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Cyd]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies!

Next on my list is to wash the walls, fill in dents in walls and paint upper walls and ceiling. The bottom of the wall is all tiled. I also have a cabinet to put on the wall in there after the painting is done and go thought the drawers and under sink cupboard. January is my "bathroom makeover" month. wink

Edited by Andreala (01/13/11 11:04 AM)

#224280 - 01/13/11 05:42 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Wow, you are some lady Andreala! Sounds like it will be really nice.

#224287 - 01/13/11 09:24 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
MissMess Offline
Silver (25-49 Posts)

Loc: Angier, NC
Andreala, I am impressed with all you have accomplished. Wish I had the energy and motivation to tackle a bathroom remodel.

You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.
by Rabindranath Tagore

#224310 - 01/14/11 09:07 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
mazda Offline
Bronze (Newbie)

Loc: th
Thanks for the info........

#224315 - 01/14/11 10:26 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: mazda]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

HI mazda and WELCOME!

#224732 - 01/21/11 09:31 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

MissMess, the secret is to just start 1 part of the project. It's not as overwhelming as looking at the whole picture. You can start anywhere you want to. It could be going through your drawers and cabinets and get those in order. Make a list of all you'd like done in your room of choice and then just start 1 item. Then, seeing some improvement gives you motivation to keep going forward.

#225413 - 02/03/11 01:54 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I've finished my bathroom makeover. I painted 2 coats on the walls and ceiling, decluttered the drawers and cabinet under the sink, washed everything from the window, the door, outside the cabinet, to the kitty litter that got cleaned inside and out. I know I didn't finish my bathroom in time but at least I got it done and I'm not sweating the small stuff. I'm just glad it's done.

February and March will be my kitchen makeover months. I'll start tomorrow as I just finished the bathroom today.

Baby-stepping away.... wink

#225414 - 02/03/11 02:18 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Wendy Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: SW, MO
Andreala, I've just started reading your progress and what an amazing job you're doing!

Your previous post about taking one step was so true!! It really is motivating!! I've been doing that myself around here! So refreshing to see the work!

Keep up the great job!! Will look forward to reading about your kitchen!

Psalm 150:6 "Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord!"

#225422 - 02/03/11 03:10 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Wendy]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala, congrats on finishing up the bathroom makeover! You are so right, just start 1 step of the project! Breaking it down into manageable parts is the key.

#225451 - 02/03/11 08:01 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: University Park, MD
Andreala, I'm sure you are feeling great at having accomplished a major project. We are all proud of you. Even the smallest of bathrooms can be a lot of work. You went the extra distance and did cleaning and decluttering, too. Great going!

#225459 - 02/03/11 10:15 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: simplicity]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala:
WHOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO Girl! Happy dancing with you.

Next room now......and what is your reward for all this hard work on the bathroom? That has to be given when you finish it.
Do something for yourself, or read a book, or something you would enjoy.

#225588 - 02/06/11 07:19 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Thank you ladies for the compliments. I did do a thorough job. I couldn't think of anything else I could clean in there even if I would have wanted to. LOL

My reward was putting the final touch to the bathroom: putting up an over the door hook thingy I had bought at Home Sense.

#225589 - 02/06/11 07:34 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Wendy Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: SW, MO
What's the next step for the kitchen?

Psalm 150:6 "Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord!"

#225744 - 02/09/11 07:57 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Wendy]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

The kitchen is the room we use the most and everything seems to land there. Today, I have to remove what doesn't belong. I also need to clean out the fridge. I've neglected that for too long.

#227017 - 03/02/11 06:30 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Progress in the kitchen is slower than I'd like. I've only washed 2 walls so far and removed the border. The third wall is all wallpapered so the fun will really begin.

I'm making progress in the decluttering side. I keep moving stuff out of the house.

#227031 - 03/02/11 09:52 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala, great job of sticking with it even tho it isn't progressing as fast as you'd like. Progress of any kind is good!

#251637 - 10/27/12 11:03 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Oh my, I had to dig pretty far to find this thread.... I'm still working at my home makeover. I'm finally making some real progress.

Two weeks ago, I put some laminate in the kitchen. I couldn't finish the job as I'm missing one box of boards and long story short, I found out yesterday I'd get it next week.

In the meantime, this week I put some laminate in the hall and living room. I still have the stairs to the entrance (we have a split level) and the entrance to do.

In the spring, we finally paid my brother-in-law who came and painted the living room, kitchen, hall and bedrooms. He's a painter by profession and does a far better and quicker job than I could have done. In 1 week, he did two coats all over.

Now, I'm trying to hurry to put down the laminate because I want to cut it outside before it gets too cold. I have the laminate for 1 more bedroom and then the other bedroom and the office will wait until next spring. I'm have some cleaning and decluttering to do to keep me busy through the winter. smile

Edited by Andreala (10/27/12 11:06 AM)

#251995 - 11/04/12 08:55 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Update for the last week: Had to tear down the stairs going to the front door. Tearing it down was the easy part. Thank God for my brother-in-law who came to "assemble" my new one yesterday. Without him, I don't know how much longer I would have been without stairs....

This morning, I went through some papers that were accumulating on my desk. It's a good thing because I found the car registration and the stickers to put on my license plate that I would have sworn were already on my car but were obviously not. I HAVE to get better organized. At least, I can now see the desk top in some places where I couldn't see any before. I got rid of a lot of junk and after the filling is done, it will be in pretty good shape; mustn't let it get that bad again.

My PSis asked me yesterday if I was still doing To-do lists. The answer was no. I must start that again.....

#251998 - 11/04/12 09:59 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala:
Babysteps gets you to the top of the mountain!

#252287 - 11/09/12 02:53 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: BonnieS]
thurmansport Offline
Bronze (Newbie)

Andreala:
Good going for your first day!

cheap mlb jerseys

#252300 - 11/09/12 08:29 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: thurmansport]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

You are doing so great Andreala! Looks like you are doing a lot all those rooms, putting down the laminate! Keep us posted!

Thurmansport:
WELCOME TO GON!

#252410 - 11/11/12 06:21 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Thanks Dianaro2 and Thurmansport. I'm determined to win this war no matter how long it takes. I didn't do as much as I would have liked in the last week. I cleaned the computer desk that's in the living room and the TV stand. Yesterday, I started putting the laminate in the stairs going to the front door.

#252411 - 11/11/12 07:00 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Louise Offline
Bronze (Newbie)

Quote:
I didn't do as much as I would have liked in the last week
. It is already in the past and we have a new week to accomplish another task.I'm glad you have the computer desk and the TV stand. You have accomplished a lot of cleaning. So what's the new challenge for the week Andrea?

#252595 - 11/14/12 10:10 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Louise]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I'd like to finish the stairs and the entrance this week.

#252602 - 11/14/12 02:40 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Waterlady Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Andreala, keep us posted how you are doing!!

#252906 - 11/21/12 03:47 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Waterlady]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Ooops, I forgot to write my update....

I got my laminate to finish the kitchen after waiting not just a week but a month. I shouldn't complain; I'm just glad I got it as they don't make that kind anymore (that's what happens when you procrastinate and don't do the work right away. We had bought that laminate last fall. blush) So last week, I got that finished.

I also did the entrance with the laminate and this week am working on the stairs. Progress is slow but it's happening. smile

Edited by Andreala (11/21/12 03:50 PM)

#252911 - 11/21/12 05:47 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

That is wonderful Andreala! You were lucky to be able to get the sae laminate! Keep up the great work!

#253081 - 11/25/12 01:45 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Last week, I finished cutting the boards for the stairs and gluing them in place. (only doing the stairs going up for now... the one going to the basement can wait) Will finish gluing them in place next this week....

#253093 - 11/25/12 06:16 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Wonderful Andreala. I wouldn't even attempt anything like that.
You certainly are talented!

#253388 - 12/02/12 06:28 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: dianaro2]
Andreala Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

No productivity in the last week. frown Will have to make up for it in the coming week.

Dianaro, my secret is to not say "I can't" until I've tried it. It ended up being not as hard as I thought. wink

#253444 - 12/04/12 09:39 AM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Andreala]
Waterlady Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Great going Andreala!! I have the same "secret"!!

#253458 - 12/04/12 02:29 PM Re: My home "makeover" [Re: Waterlady]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Good for both of you adventurers! I am not one, just basic, nail in the wall hang up the frame type. I did do tile under my vanities and kitchen sink though. LOL

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >