Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203526 - 12/02/09 07:30 PM Cards for Special Occasions & Gifts
Cyd Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: W. Canada
The major greeting card company sells an organizer for their cards, it has 6 pocket pages [1 per side] and lined paper to list date, name, address details which look similar to pee-chee pocket folders from Staples type stationary store.

It was fast and easy to create a greeting card "album" using an on-hand three-ring binder and page protectors to avoid misplacing cards I buy for use at a future date + some instruction sheets on making bows and wrapping awkward shaped items. You can add any extra pages you wish. I added a dryer sheet to avoid any musty scent.

If you enjoy crafts you can decorate your card album any way you wish. If you like to do rubber stamping, your 'Thoughtfulness' card album would be a great project! I plan to add photos I like as they can be slipped under cover to keep memories alive. The binder fits in the bottom shelf of the bookcase in my home office. My dearest friend made her own album using larger sized zip-lock bags made sturdy by inserting light weight cardboard cut to measure from cereal boxes.

The album also turned out to be a great gift idea--it was something my late mom appreciated and was helpful for a new family member as I included cards from my favorite paper shop, a package of stamps and the family's list of names, birthdays, addresses and postal codes.

#203555 - 12/03/09 10:03 AM Re: Cards for Special Occasions & Gifts [Re: Cyd]
Dr. Organization Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Columbus, Indiana
This is a neat idea. It sounds somewhat similar to bound books I've seen in catalogs where there's a pocket for each month to store birthday and anniversary cards that have been purchased ahead of time, but your sounds a lot more flexible since it's self-designed.

I do rubber stamp, so I actually use a larger greeting card organizing box purchased through a catalog. I find that to be the best option for me because I make many cards at once and I like to store them tucked into the flap of an envelope so that when I need a card, I can grab 'n' go without having to hunt for an envelope. (In some cases, I stamp the envelope to make a matching set, another reason for storing the card with the envelope). I find I have too many cards for other storage systems or a binder because it would be too bulky, but especially for those who purchase their cards, I think the binder is a great idea, especially as a gift with the accessories that you mentioned!

#203593 - 12/03/09 02:19 PM Re: Cards for Special Occasions & Gifts [Re: Dr. Organization]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho
Cyd, great idea for a gift! I keep most of my card making & stamping supplies in one of those plastic drawer units. I think this one has 7 or 8 drawers of varying sizes. It's plenty of room for my paper and embellishments as well as rubber stamps and ink pads.

Dr. O, great idea to make matching sets. I know that would be appreciated as gifts!
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

#203595 - 12/03/09 02:25 PM Re: Cards for Special Occasions & Gifts [Re: Dr. Organization]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
I rather like the idea of the card album!

At present, I have all my "all occasion" type cards in a big box that a set of stationery came in.

I buy very few occasion-specific cards - most of my cards tend to be blank inside, so I can write a message and customize them to the occasion.

I, too, tuck the card into the flap of an envelope, so I have them in matched sets. I also keep some spare envelopes in the box, just in case.

#203941 - 12/13/09 04:21 PM Re: Cards for Special Occasions & Gifts [Re: blessmymess]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: University Park, MD
I have one of those card-pocket sort of booklets, which I got at a Hallmark store years ago. I have used it mainly for birthday cards, though as another special occasion draws closer, I sometimes move other-occasion cards into it, to be sure they are mailed/given at the right time.

A few years ago, at another Hallmark store (which now seem to have disappeared from our area), I got a card storage box, which I use for most occasions, from baby birth or baptism to graduation to wedding/anniversary to get well to "thinking of you" to retirement, etc. etc. I have yet another box for Christmas and Easter cards.

I plan to keep the pocket booklet indefinitely. And I think the idea of having some cards on hand in case needed, and buying cards ahead, is a good one. But what I now have is YEARS' worth of cards I bought in advance, which I now have to store (and think of the cash value tied up in those cards, too). As time goes on, I plan to use up the cards I have on hand, to the extent feasible - one can't just send a generic card to people; a card has to fit the recipient - but I hope eventually to have almost NO spare cards on hand, because storing them, keeping track of them, going through them to pick out the right one for a given person, and so forth, is too much trouble.

At some point in the indefinite future, I hope to have birthday cards for the "usual" people ready to go, maybe bought a few months ahead if I see something appropriate; a couple of spare cards for something such as get well; and ALL OTHER CARDS picked out AS NEEDED, maybe a month or so ahead. Cards are an example of how our good intentions wind up complicating our lives, and I'm ready to simplify this area.

#203946 - 12/13/09 04:58 PM Re: Cards for Special Occasions & Gifts [Re: simplicity]
Diane D Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I'm finding the card selection in our local drug stores to be horrible, when they used to be quite good! Time to go through my stash and see if I can do better. But I hear you on simplifying. I filled up a big shoe box (overflowing) when I cleaned out my desk - ouch!

#204336 - 12/19/09 09:42 PM Re: Cards for Special Occasions & Gifts [Re: Diane D]
CountryOrg Offline
Silver Member
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: A little town in Texas!
The major greeting card company also had an offer a few years ago where when you bought a certain number of cards, you received a greeting card sorter. It looks like a vertical file sorter - with index cards inside for organizing your cards by occasion. I have two of them and love them. Easy to find things quickly.

More and more, though, I'm doing as Bless and buying blank cards to write my own sentiments. Will purchase cards from our greyhound adoption shelter to support them.

#204360 - 12/20/09 10:20 AM Re: Cards for Special Occasions & Gifts [Re: CountryOrg]
CountryOrg Offline
Silver Member
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: A little town in Texas!
Actually, I want to start making my own cards as well - a dear friend gave me lots of supplies to make them and I need to make the time to sit down and just do it!

#204364 - 12/20/09 11:12 AM Re: Cards for Special Occasions & Gifts [Re: CountryOrg]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho
CO, I find it very relaxing to sit and make the cards. It's great fun to come up with ideas and there are some great suggestions out there in magazines devoted to card making! Making it yourself really makes the card a gift in and of itself too.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

#204417 - 12/20/09 08:51 PM Re: Cards for Special Occasions & Gifts [Re: BonnieS]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
I love making cards. Have attended all kinds of classes with different techniques and continue to enjoy making them. One of the aunt's complained that I didn't send her a homemade card this year!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >