Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#198534 - 10/02/09 06:56 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: tinytina]
ShowMeMO Offline
Platinum
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Missouri
We started thinking this way a few years ago, now we give gift cards (which I don't always enjoy), and other things that are practical. Last year I gave all the "girls" (My DD and DStepDs) some of the Joy Mangano hangers. Those are really nice and practical and even look nice in the closets. \:\)

My step-children often give us photos of them and of us that they have taken through the years. They buy nice collage frames, and some that say "Family", etc. I'm not crazy about a picture of me, but I like them of others. LOL

I have given coupons before. One year I gave my mother a coupon book stating that I would take her to Oklahoma to a festival that she liked, I would clean out her car, I would clean her windows, I would take her to our Little Theater, and other things I knew she would enjoy or could use. She was so upset one day when she told me she misplaced it. I laughed and told her I remembered what it was, and I wouldn't MAKE her come up with the coupons. \:\)

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

#198553 - 10/02/09 10:43 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ShowMeMO]
amyp Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Adkins, TX
ShowMe, I LOVE the coupon book idea. And the recipe book idea as well.

I like to give gifts I know the recipient will use, so things like gift cards for services fit the bill for people who have a lot of stuff already. I remember giving my dad a roll of stamps one year and a gift certificate for a haircut at his favorite barber--he really liked those. I paid to have his car serviced one year for his birthday and he called me OVERSEAS to thank me!

For teacher gifts I like to make ornaments or can koozies or candle wraps/mats. I have an embroidery machine so I embroider a lot of gifts, or make free-standing lace items.

Be careful about putting kids' names on their things. You don't want to make it easy for some pervert to call the kid by name.

I'd think of more ideas but I gotta get to bed.

#198554 - 10/02/09 11:06 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: tinytina]
Craftyldy Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Linda:
WELCOME! I'm happy to meet you.

I made recipe books for my Daughter and Daughter-in-Law when they got married. I also give one to each of the kids in the family when they move out on their own and no longer have access to their Moms.

I also made a "Helpful Hints" book for each. I had collected the "Helpful Hints" page out of magazines for a long time. I pulled out the file, wrote out the hints under a different categories of each room.

Both of these books I saved to CD. This way I just have to print them out when ever I need a quick shower gift or another family member goes out on their own.

I buy a binder that has the plastic sleeve on the cover. I make a personalized cover page on the computer. I get my sleeves for the pages from the dollar store. I use dividers for the different categories in both books.

If you keep an extra binder, page protectors and dividers in the house you can have a helpful book ready as a gift without having to leave the house, it doesn't take up much room, and everyone loves them.

#198558 - 10/03/09 12:47 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: Craftyldy]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Frugal gifts:

- holiday wall hangings, placemats, cushion covers, etc. made with scrap fabric on hand
- homemade jams and jellies; fruit breads, etc.
- knitted scarves and hats, etc.

Good sales, especially the ones where holiday items are discounted 75-90% (usually after Jan.1) are wonderful - I buy and store for the following year.

#198570 - 10/03/09 08:44 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: blessmymess]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
Great ideas!!!!!!!!

#198591 - 10/03/09 03:15 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: dianaro2]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Stuff from the dollar store - planners, calendars, DVDs, etc.

We just returned from the dollar store! \:\)

#198676 - 10/04/09 04:54 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: blessmymess]
ShowMeMO Offline
Platinum
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Great ideas! I'm taking notes. \:D

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

#198682 - 10/04/09 05:52 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ShowMeMO]
Frugal4me Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: WI
I might can some applesauce in jelly jars and give it to a few Elders that I am fond of.

I would like to get my own favorite recipes in a new cookbook. I have one that I wrote in but it is not organized. (started before I was a Goner). I would like to have something that I can keep in a binder.
Matthew 6:25-34 ...do not worry...

#198771 - 10/05/09 11:48 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: Frugal4me]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Michigan
I made a dozen gift baskets from dollar tree last year and spent less than a hundred dollars on them all.

They have such an assortment of things you can buy, just let your imagination run wild.

Kid basket- for boys and girls-toys, coloring books,crayons, stuffed animals(some even have clothes),game books, mini fm radios that look like mp3 players-complete with earphones.

You could do a wine and cheese basket-get sparkling cider,a couple of glasses, a package of cheese and one of sausage, a pkg of crackers and you have a party!

They also have toiletries you can put together for fragrance gift collections. Do body wash, cologne, powder,lip gloss, etc for gals and something similar for the guys.

What I love is that you can get everything you need to wrap them as well-baskets, shred, cellophane,and ribbons or just wrapping paper too.

And for the colder climates, you can even get heavy duty items. Last year I got my brother, who is notorious for losing gloves- 4 pair of wool ragg gloves ($4 total) and he still has 3 pair left!

#199079 - 10/09/09 07:28 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: beaglelady]
ShowMeMO Offline
Platinum
Platinum (100+ Posts)

A few years back, I bought some jams and jellies from a Mennonite store for $2 a pint jar. (These were DELICIOUS!) I bought some inexpensive fruit themed spreaders and put one with each gift. These were well received.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >