Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#198376 - 10/01/09 10:55 AM Frugal Christmas Gifts
ShowMeMO Offline
Platinum
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Missouri
I've been trying to think of ways to make it a special Christmas without busting the budget this year (and the budget is slim because of starting a new business). So, here are some ways I've come up with to get started on my buying. I hope you can add to these are you think of other gifts.

These won't fit every age group, but here are some ideas.

1. Child's artwork, framed (Grandparents would love this!)
2. Pretty pen and pretty stationery (Doesn't have to be expensive)
3. Collage of special photos
4. Holiday serving bowl or platter (I have found some very pretty ones at discount stores, and even the dollar stores like Dollar General.)
5. Locally made barbeque or steak sauce with basting brush (I like to do this with the BBQ sauce from Johnny's Smoke Stak in Rolla, MO near where we used to live.)
6. Stained Glass Theather tickets (Christian Plays in this area of MO.)
7. Specialty cookbook (Make your own cookbook with your own favorite recipes. My mother did this for each grandchild as they got married. They loved it.)
8. Christmas ornaments (Make your own. These will be special for your family.)
9. Blank cds for the younger ones
10. Jar of jam, jelly or honey with biscuit mix (I've bought the jams and jellies from the Amish store near us, and given those with a pretty spreader.)
11. Deck of cards (I bought my son a deck of cards in his favorite sports team and he was thrilled! Not expensive, just personal.)
12. Gardening gloves (Dollar Tree for $1!) and a plant or seeds

Hope this helps you to get started. It helped me by reminding me it doesn't have to be expensive, just personal. \:\)

Please add more as you can. Thanks and happy gifting!

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

#198389 - 10/01/09 11:29 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ShowMeMO]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
I just was at Kohl's had a coupon dollar amount and a 30% discount coupon. Picked up the 6 gifts for the guys for nothing!
OK, maybe for $10! Happy dancing. It is a 12 pc. BBQ set with a thermometer in a case! They can always use those...they all BBQ. Happy dancing on that one. Half priced and right in my price range!

#198396 - 10/01/09 12:41 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: dianaro2]
ShowMeMO Offline
Platinum
Platinum (100+ Posts)

FANTASTIC! I love those finds! We need to keep our eyes open for the coupons and sales.

I'm seriously thinking of making my two grown children a cookbook of my favorite recipes. They are always calling asking me for one, so this would be something they would get some good out of.

I asked my son today what "frugal" gift he would like, and he said he and my husband were going to make some gifts this year. My husband didn't know it until my son said that. LOL

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

#198400 - 10/01/09 02:43 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ShowMeMO]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: University Park, MD
Once in a while, you can find things with names on them which aren't expensive, such as key rings. Last year I found mini-sleds, about 1 1/2 inches long, with names. So for people whose names I could find, they got things with names (mainly the little sleds). Some people's names, including mine, just aren't anywhere. For those, I got the same little sleds with "Happy Holidays" or similar on them.

Children in particular like to have their names on things, but adults might find it handy to make sure other folks don't wind up using their items. Years ago when I taught school, I had a few dozen pencils imprinted with my name, so students couldn't walk away with them.

Some places will add a name at no extra cost. A few years back, I got snowman ornaments for some family friends, and having the names put on each one made them special.

#198415 - 10/01/09 04:21 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: simplicity]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

ShowMe
I did that for the girls quite a few years ago, put the receipes in plastic sleeves in a binder. You can add to them as you pick up new receipes.

I also had a cousin who did that, and had them inserted in a spiral booklet by one of the printing places.

#198425 - 10/01/09 05:13 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: dianaro2]
ShowMeMO Offline
Platinum
Platinum (100+ Posts)

You can also buy the blank cookbooks to write your recipes in. I have one "somewhere" in storage that I used years ago. I would LOVE to find it again someday. \:\)

My mother made her own cookbooks and gave them to the grandchildren when they got married, but my two children didn't get one, because they were "married" by the time she passed away. They were older than some of those who DID get them, but they didn't get one. If you all are doing this, just give them at a certain age or something similar that will work for all. My DD still isn't married, so she would NEVER have had one. \:\(

I'll put some of my mother's recipes in my cookbook I give them so they will have those, too.

#198452 - 10/02/09 07:10 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ShowMeMO]
Linda S. Offline
Silver (25-49 Posts)

Loc: New York
I did a scrap book (8X8) of favorite recipes for my niece. Each two page spread had the recipe and embelishments that tied to the recipe (like apple paper I used for the Apple Crisp recipe).
In some cases I also added a story to go with the recipe. Who likes it best, who first made it, where it came from, etc.

#198461 - 10/02/09 08:32 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: Linda S.]
ShowMeMO Offline
Platinum
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Linda,
That is such a wonderful gift that will be remembered and used for a long time. The stories make it personal and special.

#198470 - 10/02/09 08:51 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ShowMeMO]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

LindaS:
WELCOME to GON! and what a great idea to add to the receipe books as gifts! Thanks for sharing. I bet she will treasure that forever!

#198474 - 10/02/09 08:56 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: dianaro2]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
I love the idea of this thread....I really need to be frugal with my Christmas gifts (not alot of extra money to spend). Its not even just about being frugal but I want to buy gifts people will actually use and won't become clutter in their homes.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >