Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#201350 - 11/07/09 01:14 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: Carolyn from NC]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Today, I went to the Salvation Army store - I go there and Goodwill, every now and then, in search of 3 items: dinner plates to replace the ones from my blue & white set that got broken over time; paperback books from a couple of DD's and my favorite authors, and, Christmas design tea cups (not coffee mugs, but rather, tea cups with saucers).

Today, they didn't have any of the items I was looking for. However, in a box near the books, there were some old vinyl records - LPs. And right on top of the stack was: Michael Jackson's "Bad" album. The price list posted nearby said records = $1.00 each. But everything in the store was 40% off, today, so, I paid a grand total of $0.60 for the record! \:\) It's probably all scratched up and might not play well, but the album cover can become wall art. Now, all I have to do is find a Michael Jackson fan... ;\)

#201382 - 11/07/09 05:43 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: tinytina]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho
I have my mother's recipes, written in her handwriting that I'm going to scan on the printer. Then I can print them out on fun paper, and make up cookbooks for my siblings. Then we'll all have Mom's recipes, in her handwriting. She's still with us, but I'm thinking this will be a special gift for all of them.

With our move, and me with no job yet, our Christmas needs to be very frugal this year....this is a great thread ShowMe! Thanks to everyone for the great ideas!

Tina, think consumable gifts! Those won't become clutter and will get used. I've done cookie mixes in jars, did movie night baskets with popcorn, an inexpensive family video, and some movie candy....those were big hits!

Edited by BonnieS (11/07/09 05:54 PM)
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

#201419 - 11/08/09 08:23 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: BonnieS]
Craftyldy Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Carolyn:
Love the calendar and Antiquing ideas.

Amp:
Along with your mug idea, we have our Tim Hortonís coffee shops here (like your Starbucks). They have Gift Cards. A gift card in a mug would make a great gift for co-workers.

Bless:
I love to shop in the thrift stores too. I get great ideas there and I love to shop for books for DD and I there too.

Bonnie:
Your gift will become priceless, especially in the years to come.
You might want to make one for the next generation too. Maybe as a shower gift when they get married or as a gift when they start out on their own.
If you save it to CD or DVD as you go you will have it at your finger tips whenever you need it.

Diana:
Great deal on the gloves and infusers. They are good ho have on hand even for a Thank you for friends and neighbors who give you a hand through out the year.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Another idea:
I put a packet of hot chocolate, peppermint candy cane, 3 hershieís kisses, and a hand full of miniature marshmallows in a mug. I wrap it in basket wrap cellophane from the dollar story and attach the following note.

Snowman Soup
Was told that youíve been good this year,
Always glad to hear it.
With freezing weather drawing near,
Youíll need to warm the spirit
So hereís a little Snowman Soup,
Complete with stirring stick.
Add hot water, sip it slow,
Itís sure to do the trick.

If you follow the directions on a cold snowy night it is sooooo good. \:\)

#201428 - 11/08/09 08:55 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: Craftyldy]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
Thanks ladies, love all the ideas. Might add some popcorn to the pjs I am giving the gals this year. Get it out, so I don't eat it, and they can use the calories! LOL

#201469 - 11/08/09 05:55 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: dianaro2]
Canadagirl Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: midwest
Thanks Craftylady for the snowman soup recipe. I was thinking about it the other day for DD's K class and trying to remember all that was in it. Now, I don't have to remember where I put it! I have a template for a cardstock box (no lid) that can be put into cellophane bag and tied with a ribbon. I have some fun snow stamps that I can attach. \:\)

#201495 - 11/08/09 11:42 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: Canadagirl]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: University Park, MD
Sometimes when we want to give someone "a little something," a little something crops up. Last year it was tiny sleds with names. Sleds not more than 2 inches long, but otherwise like real sleds with runners, etc., with various names on them. I bought a bunch. For a few people, they were the "little something." For others, they were tied to another package. Everyone liked them.

Lo and behold, this year I found miniature snow globes, about 1 1/4 inch in diameter - also with names. They are really cute. So I bought several, and may get a few more. They can be hung on a tree, attached to something else, or just sit without taking up any space on a desk or other surface.

Most kids like things with their names on them, and of course, the name makes it obvious to whom the gift belongs.

#201529 - 11/09/09 08:09 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: simplicity]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

I like your ideas Simplicity! Great things for kids with names, and a collection of private ornaments to take when they are grown.

Bonnie:
I LOVE that idea of scanning receipes and giving them to family, especially in mom's own handwriting! How special a gift!

#201611 - 11/09/09 11:16 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: dianaro2]
mapster Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: SoCal
Oh, that "Snowman Soup" idea is cute.

Ask yourself: Have you been kind today? Make kindness your daily modus operandi and change your world.
- Annie Lennox

#201661 - 11/10/09 11:10 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: mapster]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

My DS, age 10, is making his eldest cousin, 4, an ABC book. I contacted her mom and she sent pictures of everyone on both sides of the family. So he'll do an ABC book of relatives that she can read at bedtime. For the letter Q, he can write Quietly, sit at night and read your book of people you love. X will be XOXO: Hugs and kisses are sent from me to you. Z will be ZZZZ should be the sound we hear after you read your special book.

If he enjoys it he can make a book for his sister, age 2.

I'm making some kindergarten file folder games for my niece and foster daughter. They take a lot of work, but I think that they will be fun for winter.

Our foster daughter is making picture frames for my brother's families who have pets. I have some older dog biscuits that she can glue to a frame and then put a coat of laquer on them. We'll include cute pictures of their pet.

DD, 2, is making ornaments for her preschool friends. I bought several items for teachers, sitters, etc for the three kids, at last year's 90% sale.

I have a gift idea for our niece and her new husband. They're the picture coasters that are available. I have several 40% coupons that I can use for part of that gift. In addition, I have a gift card for some returns so that will be perfect.

Dianaro: One thing that my brothers enjoyed was a deck of cards and instructions for different card games. It was something to open and a g/c or money could be added.

Also, several young men liked a book of simple magic tricks. I had a very shy brother, and it was good for him to open up to start a conversation with others.

I don't sew. However, I'm thinking of making a portable tea party set which can be used by my DD, 2, at home and away. I'm just not sure if my limited sewing skills can do this.

So there are some of my ideas for making this holiday season a little commercial and more meaningful and staying within a budget.

#201705 - 11/10/09 06:49 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: STRIVING]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Wonderful ideas they are STRIVING. LOVE the book idea your DS is making! What a sweet idea.

They boys do like cards, can put those in too.

Wonderful ideas ladies, keep them coming.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >