Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#199685 - 10/16/09 01:02 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ElizabethClark]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Teen boys: T-shirts/sweat shirts? Gift cards to a video game store? Just about anything with their favorite sports team logo? If they are driving, something auto related? Posters?

#199693 - 10/16/09 02:09 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: hartbe]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: University Park, MD
I have a teenage boy, and he and his friends love electronic things, especially video games. I realize they are rather pricey. If not those, gift certificates to the movies, or to an activity (bowling, ice skating, etc.) would probably be appreciated more than clothes or (depending on the boy) books. They will eat food, in enormous quantities, but might want something more permanent as a present.

If you know the boy(s) well enough, you could tell if he/they would enjoy something such as a model kit or art kit. May of them are quite inexpensive.

Bless, you aren't "cheap." True, you may not have spent a lot of money on the gifts. But after reading your posts, I'm convinced you have put a lot of thought and effort into what you give, surely more than many people.

#199694 - 10/16/09 02:10 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: simplicity]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
thanks ladies it is a start. I give them cash, so this is a little gift just to open, as I call them.

#199710 - 10/16/09 03:00 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: dianaro2]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Diana: How about a book of coupons from a fast food/burger place? If you ask them, they might give you a clean, unused food container and you can place the coupon for the burger or pizza or whatever in the food container and wrap it up, perhaps in one of the fast food place's own bags?

Simplicity: I try. \:\)

Today, I went shopping and bought 2 gifts that I believe are suitable for 2 of the teen girls on my list.

One is a purse, in a reddish brown faux leather, with a shoulder strap, a main zippered section with an inner zippered pocket and 2 smaller zippered pockets at each end on the outside and 2 velcro fastened outside pockets; $5.00.

The other is a "travel organizer": black nylon/vinyl (but reinforced with cardboard or something, so the sides are fairly rigid), in a tri-fold design, with a mirror that flips up and two removable zippered pouches (with soft sides) on either side. One of the pouches contains a plastic "travel" bottle for lotion or shampoo, a plastic soap dish and a nylon scrubbie/pouf. The other pouch could hold makeup. The area in front of the flip up mirror has what's identified on the package as a "cosmetic brush organizer" - although I suppose one could also insert eye liner pencils, etc. into the sewn channels. $8.00

I also bought a sketch pad ($3.00) - DD loves to draw and I always give her art supplies as part of her stocking stuffer gifts.

Today, while out shopping, I saw a scarf, selling for $12.99, knitted in 4 different colors of a fairly thick yarn (a rectangle of pink, followed by a rectangle of blue, etc.) I know I can buy a skein of similar yarn for approx. $1.25 each; 4 skeins (one of each color) will cost me $5.00 - plus an hour or two of my time and I'll have a comparable gift for less than half the price. \:\)

Edited by blessmymess (10/16/09 03:07 PM)

#199760 - 10/17/09 11:34 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: blessmymess]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
Thanks Bless, I will check with the mom's to see what kind of food they like to eat out.

Good deals on the shopping. Like the scarf idea. Can use the left over yarn and make stripes!

#199774 - 10/17/09 04:44 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: dianaro2]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: University Park, MD
Blessmymess, you are so good at managing money,as with the 4 skeins of yarn to make a scarf much cheaper than a store-bought one, and no doubt appreciated more, too.

Yes, compartments! The purse you bought sounds like the kind I prefer to use, to keep everything in order, to save rummaging for what I need. It should be helpful to the young lady who receives it.

#199857 - 10/18/09 11:26 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: simplicity]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Yesterday, one of my friends admired the patchwork place mats I had made for myself, so, I am thinking of making a set for her for Christmas. I have plenty of fabric in my stash plus the batting and thread, so, it will be another frugal gift that won't cost anything new. \:\)

#199950 - 10/19/09 10:47 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: blessmymess]
beaglelady Online   content
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Michigan
Diana, if you are looking at food gifts to give, look at some of the fast food places. I went to BK today for a cheap $1 burger for lunch and they are advertising gift books of value sized french fries- 8 orders to give to trick or treaters-for just $1!!! A lot of fast food places do that kind of stuff right now since they know more than one person will come in with the recipient and buy other stuff....so even if they are selling at 1/8th the regular price, they will get it back in spades.

As far as non gift ideas, I agree with the others.....electronic games, cds, dvds, music gift cards like I-tunes, If they have a cell phone, how about accessories for it, or buy a gift card for downloads that they can use for songs/ringtones/etc.

Talking with roomie this weekend and she informed me that if I was getting her anything for Christmas or her birthday(which is Dec 24), the only thing on her wish list is gift cards to Home Depot. She wants to wall off part of the basement and make a separate bedroom/closet, asking me if I minded her improving the basement, since she had no plans on moving for at least several years. Win win so why not! Her boyfriend is a contractor who has done work for me and is a perfectionist so I agreed.

#199951 - 10/20/09 12:12 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: beaglelady]
Hawkeye Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa
Beaglelady - I could use that perfectionist boyfriend to work on the office for me - probably will need to hire someone to do "magic" with the walls which have two layers of wallpaper that DD1 and I are finally taking down. One of her b/day gifts to me was 10 hours of her time.

Diana - I second the I-Tunes or fast-food gift cards, or one for gas if they are already driving. If younger than 16, movie certificates were always a big hit, or the latest CD of some group, or a gift certificate to a local game arcade, or for pizza they could order in and have delivered when they have friends over?

Bless - Sounds like you were able to cover the teenage girls - good job! I'm working on a scarf right now that is more lacy rather than warm - it's for DS1's girlfriend who lives in Portland - because the weather there rarely changss, I chose to do one that is an all-season scarf - more like an accessory rather than to keep warm. Just chose a very lightweight yarn in a neutral color and hoping she likes the lace pattern I chose. DS2 abd DDIL don't need warm clothes, either, although they will be here to visit in December. Louisiana's weather, at least that far south, rarely gets down under 50 - I'll probably do another accessory scarf for DDIL, too.

Hawkeye

#200020 - 10/20/09 05:00 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: Hawkeye]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
I've mentioned them before, but frozen balls of cookie dough in a gallon-size bag make wonderful gifts for teen boys, so long as you don't leave them sitting under the tree. \:\) (But you could wrap a tiny box with a note inside, telling them to look in the freezer!) Just about any cookie recipe can be formed and frozen, then bagged. MUCH more cost-effective than store-bought dough, and more variety, too. Just include a recipe card with baking instructions in the large bag; I find a 4x6 card slips neatly into a sandwich-sized baggie.

If you have a person who loves to eat raw cookie dough, just omit the eggs from the recipe, and on the "instructions" card, indicate that these are "Frozen for Immediate Eating--No Baking!".

(Girls like frozen cookie-dough balls, too.)

Edited by ElizabethClark (10/20/09 05:00 PM)

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >