Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#199560 - 10/15/09 12:21 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ElizabethClark]
Hawkeye Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa
Elizabeth - I'm so glad someone else is giving or gave classic books as gifts - in many classrooms, my kids were the only ones who had read Moby Dick, or Charles Dickens' work, or even Robert Frost poetry. They have also all seen Citizen Kane, Shane (Alan Ladd), North by Northwest (Cary Grant/Alfred Hitchcock), or Casablanca. Those items are relatively inexpensive as they aren't the current trend - one year I gave everyone a new copy of Jimmy Stewart's "Rear Window", and it now the favorite movie of 3 of my kids (and one DDIL!).

I'll make quite a few mixes for DS1 who refuses anything that would constitute clutter; I'll knint for DDIL and DS3's girlfriend, as well as DS1's girlfriend), also sew some clothing for DGD' heavy duty winter hats and gloves (the fingerless kind so you can still do stuff) for the guys; and I'm working on afghans for everyone as Diana did one year. She was quite inspirational and even though I think it will be a tight squeeze time-wise, it will be great to use up all that extra yarn.

Probably knit/crochet some handbags, beach bags, purses, etc. for each of the girls - possibly felted?

Hawkeye

#199575 - 10/15/09 09:08 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: Hawkeye]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
Hawkeye:
You are making me tired reading all you have to do. It would be such fun to live near you and meet each day to work on our crafts!

#199582 - 10/15/09 11:15 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: dianaro2]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
Book-giving is a big tradition in my family, going back multiple generations. Currently, one of my aunts, my mother, myself, and one sister-in-law all like books as our "staple" giving item, so there are lots of volumes floating about! \:\)

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

#199607 - 10/15/09 03:26 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ElizabethClark]
blessmymess Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
I have been setting aside $20 per month towards Christmas in general, which gives me a budget of $240 for cards, postage, and gifts for everyone except DD (budget for DD is separate).

I allocate $40 of that for cards & postage (most of my cards go to family and friends overseas and postage tend to cost approx. $1.00 per card).

Which gives me $200 for gifts, for approx. 55 recipients (if a family receives 1 collective gift, that is 1 recipient). They include DD's teachers and school office staff, my office co-workers, neighbors, as well as friends and family.

I have spent $110 on gifts for 40 of them, so far. They were the easy ones - the majority of them will receive jars of my homemade peach and strawberry jam.

I have $90 left in the budget for gifts for the balance 15 people, which averages out to $6.00 per person. They include the hard-to-buy/make-for teenagers I had mentioned in a previous thread.

I will have to do some serious bargain hunting in the next few weeks. \:\)

#199618 - 10/15/09 05:19 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: blessmymess]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: University Park, MD
Blessmymess, all of your accomplishments leave me gaping in awe. I used to think I was economical with gifts, but compared to you, I'm a big spender, even with fewer people. I am very impressed with how well you have managed your budget.

ElizabethClark, I love the book-giving tradition you mentioned. DH and I met in a bookstore and always knew we could get books for each other. His first gift to me ever was a biography of Chaucer, which I still have.

Hawkeye, you are unfortunately correct that students rarely read classics in school any more. Even in English class, it becomes a smorgasbord of mostly modern novels, not any kind of survey of literature over time. They are not exposed systematically to American or British literature, which is a real shame. I'm pleased that your children know some good books and movies.

#199654 - 10/16/09 01:07 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: simplicity]
blessmymess Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Simplicity: Some people would say I'm cheap! \:D But it's the amount I feel comfortable spending.

#199670 - 10/16/09 09:04 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: blessmymess]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
That is what is important, what you feel Bless.

I am taking a quick way out this year and mailing DAs and DUs (only 3 left of uncles now) a food gift. Still will save me time and energy.

Have already purchased a "opening" gift for the guys. Still looking for something for the girls. Might check the pjs again, things are on sale again, hopefully the ones I wanted are today.
If not I need ideas or lower prices. LOL I generally spend an amount for the opening gift and then give cash. This way they can get something they want or put it toward something. They all plan for the money and usually tell me what they are going to spend it on. LOL

Teenage boys? Any ideas, already purchased wallets, previously.
Desperate for ideas.

#199678 - 10/16/09 09:45 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: dianaro2]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterford, MI
Bless, I wouldn't call it cheap.....you are economical!! I agree with you wholeheartedly though. The holidays are not about breaking the banking, its about spending quality time with loved ones and honoring the real reason of Christmas.

I have cut way back and will spend only a few dollars on the people I am giving gifts too. DB will get gift cards to places I can take him that no one else likes to go to, like Dave and Busters-he loves the noise and games there and it gives us quality time. Also some movie tickets too. I need to buy something for roomie and her beau and the neighbors kids, but everyone else gets cards, which I already have

My employees will get some small token but nothing extravagant. I will try to do this year as in years past and hit Dollar Tree for Toys for Tots or the Goodfellows. The past few years I have had a blast buying toys and stuff there knowing it will make many kids Christmases a little better. $2 gets a big coloring book with a huge box of crayons and goes a long way. I try to allocate $200 each year for that trip and end up with about 4 to 5 full carts.

#199680 - 10/16/09 09:53 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: dianaro2]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
Well... books. \:\)

Do the teen boys do outside winter things that might require funky hats, scarves, or gloves? Musical hobbies?

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

#199684 - 10/16/09 12:50 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ElizabethClark]
hartbe Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: indiana
My only experience with teenage boys was buying for my nephews. They always enjoyed getting edible gifts. I would do a box with their favorite snacks, drinks & perhaps some homemade cookies. They loved it because it was theirs, & they didn't have to share with anyone else, unless they were so inclined.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >