Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#199099 - 10/09/09 10:54 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ShowMeMO]
dianaro2 Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
Great gift for teachers, etc. too ShowMe. I am ordering a gift package for my DAs and DUs for Christmas, save the wrapping and cost of sending my own, Too much work to get 7 or 9 packages to the post office!

#199143 - 10/09/09 09:39 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: dianaro2]
ShowMeMO Offline
Platinum
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Missouri
Yes, it would make great gifts for teachers. Other things that teachers need are post-it notes, pencils (pretty ones preferably), thank you cards and envelopes, dry erase markers (You never have enough once the kids get hold of them. LOL), large erasers, different colored pens. (Some principals or districts like teachers to NOT use red pens anymore, so we use purple, green, orange, etc. to show what needs attention.), good hand lotion, hand sanitizer, and even tissues (in pretty boxes!).

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

#199222 - 10/10/09 08:37 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ShowMeMO]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: University Park, MD
I used to teach years ago, and tended to get tons of the same thing: stationery (at least it was good for writing thank-you's), food (too much), and cologne, etc. Many school districts now don't let teachers receive gifts, which I think is better - there should be more focus on helping really needy people, etc.

Nevertheless, one thing that didn't exist then that exists now is gift cards. They wouldn't have to be for much. Even a $5 Starbucks card would allow the teacher not only a bit of selection, but would permit him/her to spread out the food over a longer period of time.

Maybe a movie ticket? Teachers can always use more supplies, but something for the life outside the school would be appreciated.

For life inside the school, some non-routine "supplies" for the whole class, maybe a book, appropriate DVD, recorded music (mainly for younger grades), might be good. Teachers often spend their own money on things for their students, but can't get as much as they would like.

#199278 - 10/11/09 12:36 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: simplicity]
Craftyldy Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Ontario, Canada
At our schools they no longer give teachers personal gifts.
All the teachers get the same thing, non-perishable food.
It is all donated to the food bank to make a better Christmas for those who need it. I think it is a wonderful idea.

As an added bonus I wrote each teacher a personal letter to tell them what they mean to our family and how much they are appreciated.

You could make a small donation to a charity and give the teacher a card with the name of the charity you donated too.

#199402 - 10/13/09 07:55 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: simplicity]
ShowMeMO Offline
Platinum
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: simplicity
Teachers often spend their own money on things for their students, but can't get as much as they would like.

That's the truth! When I would have to change grades, I would end up spending about $1,500 per year for the first two years. The public doesn't hear this kind of news. \:\(

I would have been thrilled with some extra paper for the kids who never had any. I had to buy that, too!

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

#199424 - 10/13/09 11:08 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: ShowMeMO]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Years ago, when I got my pupils a gift, it was expensive by the standards of the time. One year I bought each child a small change purse (ulterior motive: no lost lunch money). At 25 cents per child, times 32 pupils, that was $8.00, which then would buy me most of a week's worth of groceries.

I wanted to get clay for the students to make things with, but it not only cost a lot, there was no kiln or other way to fire it. If parents of children in all grades wanted to get something special for their school, that is just one thing I can think of. The kids would certainly notice and enjoy it more than yet another book for the library, although teachers appreciate the latter. No gift to a school is ever wasted.

#199433 - 10/13/09 11:29 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: simplicity]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
ShowMe, DD's school asked for donations of things at the beginning of the school year. I sent in a ream of printer paper for her technology class and DD said the teacher was crazy excited.

I know even at the private school she went to before, the teachers spent piles of their own money on things.
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#199449 - 10/13/09 06:06 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Well, DD's teachers and school staff (7 teachers + 3 office staff) are getting jars of homemade peach jam, whether they like it or not! LOL.

#199489 - 10/14/09 10:38 AM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: blessmymess]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

ShowMeMO, if you spend that much on your students, and save the receipts, at least some of what you spent should be tax-deductible. I was able to deduct some costs one year, when they were over a certain threshold.

Every year at DS's school, along with their basic school supplies, each family was asked to bring in a box of tissues. That way, at a rate of a box a week, they lasted most of the year. Occasionally I sent in another box, in case they ran low. That wasn't, of course, a gift for the teacher.

Someone above suggested writing a note to the teacher expressing appreciation. I didn't do that at Christmastime, only the midpoint of the school year, but did so at the end of the year, and the teachers were grateful that their efforts were noticed.

#199508 - 10/14/09 12:08 PM Re: Frugal Christmas Gifts [Re: simplicity]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA

Our gifts are frugal in that we do very few of them, and most are homemade.

For instance, this year I'll be sewing things for the kids and DH, using mostly fabric from my stash. If not stash-fabric, it will be bought on sale, and with coupons.

Gifts to friends in the area are things like home-decorated cookies, or treats to put in the freezer.

One year, I gave a gallon-sized bag of frozen homemade cookie-dough balls to one nephew (who adored cookies) and homemade baked-and-frozen meatballs to his brother (who adored his uncles Italian meatballs.) That can be a way to give an economical gift that doesn't have to be consumed right away.

Our extended family exchanges only photos.

We do scrapbook pages of our family for grandmas. (It's about time to do this!) My album is 12x12, but each grandma has 8x11, so I can usually do three pages with creative use of scraps from the big one.

In the past, I've assembled poetry into a book for family; this year, I'm working on my husband's grandmother's poetry, and will look at printing copies for the surviving members of his family (which adds up to about three books.)

With all the cool binders out now, doing a custom recipe book would be a fun gift for anyone, including "launching adults."

I also tend to search used book stores for pristine hardback editions of classic books to give as gifts.

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >