Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#138227 - 12/30/07 08:19 PM Start Up Information for New Members of GON
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
I thought I would provide some start up information that I have copied from some other threads and other moderators.

Thanks everyone for their contributions.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#138229 - 12/30/07 08:22 PM Re: Start Up Information for New Members of GON [Re: tinytina]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

There are a variety of threads that can be joined. Here are some examples:

1)There are smaller more specific question/answer types of threads.

2)You can start a thread about a specific topic.
~Use the search function for previous discussions of topics.

3)Repeating threads that go on every week:
For ex. Branches, Room of the Month, Productivity, Just Do It, Procrastination, Monthly Goals, FIX, among others.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#138230 - 12/30/07 08:22 PM Re: Start Up Information for New Members of GON [Re: tinytina]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Here are some Acronyms we use for Maria's Products.

EBP - Easy Bill Paying System
EO - Easy Organizer
FOFF - Finally Organized, Finally Free
GTGMS - Give to Get Marketing Solution
HP - Holiday Planner
UGFPO - Ultimate Guide for Professional Organizers

#138231 - 12/30/07 08:22 PM Re: Start Up Information for New Members of GON [Re: tinytina]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

ETE: Erase The Evidence: this means you pick up as you go, leaving no trace of your activities. Make a sandwich? Towel up the breadcrumbs and put everything away before you sit down to eat it, and no one knows you made a sandwich. It's a great habit to get into, completing any task to the truly "done" part.

RAOC: Random Act of Cleaning.

#138232 - 12/30/07 08:23 PM Re: Start Up Information for New Members of GON [Re: tinytina]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Master List: Get yourself a pad of paper and a pen. Stroll around your home from room to room. Write down everything that needs to be done. Be specific. This list will be long so don't let it overwhelmed you. This is just a starting point. When I made my list I made a separate list for each room. Then I put them in a binder. This way I only had to deal with one at a time but I knew where the rest were when I was ready for them. It kept me from getting overwhelmed.

Now that your list is completed, fix yourself a cup or glass of your favorite beverage. Sit with your list and review each room. Start another list as you review of the supplies you will need to tackle a room – boxes for storing things or for gathering things to be donated, bags for trash, tape, marker, broom, vacuum cleaner, etc. That way, when you go to tackle a room, you’ll have all the supplies you need for THAT room and you won’t be running through the house gathering them.

Now, I would suggest that you select the room with the least amount to do. This way you will see results quicker and this will encourage you. As you do something on the list, highlight it with either a transparent highlighter or mark it out with a bright felt tip pen. Don't throw the list away, keep it in the binder. It will become your Accomplishment List. It will be invaluable on the days that you don't feel like you are accomplishing anything. You can go back and see just how far you have come.

#138233 - 12/30/07 08:23 PM Re: Start Up Information for New Members of GON [Re: tinytina]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Baby steps:

The next thing to learn is Baby Steps. We work in 15 min. sessions. Set the timer for 15 min and play Beat the Clock. See how much you can do in 15 min. You will be surprised at how much you can get done. When the timer goes off stop and REWARD yourself for 20 min. (cup of coffee, browse a magazine, something you enjoy) After all you have worked hard and you deserve it. Then you can set the timer again or quit for the day. Your choice.

#138234 - 12/30/07 08:23 PM Re: Start Up Information for New Members of GON [Re: tinytina]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Routines are done daily. Some strictly by time (6:10 get up), others by open timeframes (morning, afternoon, evening) and others by task or by day (Monday - errands, Tuesday - Paperwork, etc).

Branches are weekly a different room/area and are deeper cleaning (get cobwebs, dust baseboards) etc.

Monthly Lists are the calendars that Maria sends out each month and anything else we need to include.

#138250 - 12/30/07 08:46 PM Re: Start Up Information for New Members of GON [Re: tinytina]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Feel free to add in any other useful starting up suggestions, information, advice, etc.

#138594 - 01/01/08 12:52 PM Re: Start Up Information for New Members of GON [Re: tinytina]
blessmymess Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
This is a good idea, Tinytina. It can be a bit overwhelming when one first joins, trying to figure how to navigate the forum, etc.

#138597 - 01/01/08 01:03 PM Re: Start Up Information for New Members of GON [Re: blessmymess]
ShowMeMO Offline
Platinum
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Missouri
Thanks, Tina. These are now on the new "Newbies" section of our site. This hopefully will help those who have difficulty "getting around" to the various forums.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >