Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#177334 - 01/23/09 04:05 PM Hallo, it's really nice to be back (long)
aprilsweetpea Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Loc: Australia
Hi there, I had dropped off the face of the earth and now I'm back again at last.
I'm Ingrid, living in Australia (where we are having a heat wave, sigh!). Roll on autumn!

Our computer died unexpectedly last April, and it took us this long to save up and buy a new one. Actually it was my fault. The laptop was on its way out, and I gave it the coup de grāce by spilling a cup of tea on the keyboard. We had a lot of unexpected expenses, and it took us till December last year to save up for a new one.

The nice part of it was that when I bought this laptop that it was a complete surprise to my husband. I ended up buying it as a combined anniversary (which is a week before Christmas) and Christmas present. When he came home one day I had set it all up including 3 phone calls before I finally managed to set up the internet. I made him close his eyes, and I lead him into our office where it was all set up. He gave me the biggest of hugs.

I have been able to spradically keep up with reading on the computer at work, but since I sit right next to my two bosses, I couldn't really get away with typing personal stuff every day, LOL.

Well on to the decluttering part, I still haven't organized my craft space, or the garage, or our bedroom, and have been really slack.

We have had a lot on with my mother in law who was not coping with the death of my father in law a year ago, poor thing, but there has been a breakthrough. She has met a couple of lovely people in her assisted living care place that help her a lot, which is so good.

Also, she has finally consented to put her house on the market, to help pay her bills which were outstanding. Unfortunately my in laws were terrible in financial matters, and left my BIL and my husband with huge debts, which put us into financial diffulty.

We finally had to say no to paying any more bills, and the same went for my BIL. He took 6 months longer to say no. That was a difficult decision to make, but we were in danger of losing our house, and my BIL has 3 children and a wife to support. My SIL, is out of the picture unfortunately and so is unable to help. She has/had major problems of her own to deal with poor thing.

So Iam looking forward to the encouraging talk from everyone here, to help me on my way and to give me motivation to get going again. Thanks so much. Great to be back!

Love and hugs from Ingrid (who is relishing sitting under the fan at the moment).

#177336 - 01/23/09 04:16 PM Re: Hallo, it's really nice to be back (long) [Re: aprilsweetpea]
blessmymess Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Ingrid: Welcome back! How nice to have you join us again. ((((HUGS)))) for all the upheaval of the last several months, but that is life. Never a dull moment, I say.

But now that you are back, please feel free to jump right in and post on any of the threads. Let us know what you want to work on and we'll take it from there.

Looking forward to seeing you post again.

#177338 - 01/23/09 04:30 PM Re: Hallo, it's really nice to be back (long) [Re: blessmymess]
Cyd Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: W. Canada
Hi: Welcome back. Life has been throwing you some mean curves and I'm impressed that you were able to surprise DH with the gift of a new computer...all tuned in to internet. While you've mentioned a heat wave, gotta tell you we're freezing here in Western Canada @ minus 18C with wind chill taking us to minus 28C. My heating bill is running over $280. ouch!

May I be so bold as to suggest you re-start your GON journey in your M Bedrm? Tell us about the major issues there and we can all chime in with suggestions for you to chose.

#177341 - 01/23/09 04:44 PM Re: Hallo, it's really nice to be back (long) [Re: Cyd]
aprilsweetpea Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Oh thanks so much for the wonderful words of encouragement.

I agree also, that, that's life. We haven't been depressed or anything over it either, just doing one thing at a time.

My husband and I always say, we have our health, we both have jobs we like (well maybe a job after April for my husband, who is busy on the lookout for other jobs just in case), no dependents (if you don't include my MIL. LOL)., we have nice family and friends, a roof over our heads, and we have each other, and our faith. What more could a person want.

And Cyd, you read my mind. Guess where I'm at this morning, In the master bedroom, before it gets too hot. We don't have air conditioning in the back half of the house and the bedroom faces full west. :-P

We will have an air conditioner installed soon though. Yay!

#177359 - 01/23/09 05:52 PM Re: Hallo, it's really nice to be back (long) [Re: aprilsweetpea]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
Ingrid, huge kudos to you for being organized and dedicated, and saving up for the computer purchase! Excellent!

Is the master bedroom just needing a good de-clutter and tidy-up, or are you needing to find organizational strategies and tools? (Because we're all happy to cheerlead you on, either way!)

Good for you in setting a boundary with family members and finances. It's a hard choice, but those boundaries make it possible to continue to LIVE, and focus your efforts in things that will make long-term changes for yourselves and your loved ones.

With a west-facing bedroom--do you have the option to use black-out drapes? Those block a lot of heat from the sun, and can make your eventual air conditioner even more effective.

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

#177366 - 01/23/09 06:13 PM Re: Hallo, it's really nice to be back (long) [Re: ElizabethClark]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Hello and welcome back Ingrid, glad you have come back after an absence.

Do make yourself a Master List and then you can see all the items you are crossing off your list. Feel free to join in on any of the threads, perhaps the Productivity, Projects or ROTM would be great places to start.

The master bedroom is a great place to start, it sounds like both you and your husband can use a sanctuary.

Edited by tinytina (01/23/09 06:13 PM)

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#177369 - 01/23/09 06:26 PM Re: Hallo, it's really nice to be back (long) [Re: tinytina]
aprilsweetpea Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Thanks again for your welcome. I have been reading and hearing how cold it is over at your end of the world. Below normal winter temperatures and tons of snow. I've never been in temperatures that low for a long time.

One time we were intemperatures of -25 degrees when we were leaving from a visit to Canada. Mys sister used to live there. But we were leaving that day, so I've only experienced it for about half a day! LOL!

Thanks for the suggestions of a master list. I will be creating one. The bedroom just needs a general clean up and declutter because before the air conditioning gets installed I will be emptying the room entirely, pulling up the carpet, getting the floors polished, and painting the room, which will be a bit of a job.

But I like doing craft, and I look at it like doing a giant piece of craft. LOL!

And on the list too, we will be changing the window dressing too, changing from vertical blinds to shutters. I hate vertical blinds, but love plantation shutters so we will be doing something along those lines, and putting an awning outside the window which will block out the sun's heat. All the other windows have awnings. They were here when we moved in 3 years ago. The only place where isn't one is the master bedroom. Go figure. LOL.

#177379 - 01/23/09 08:36 PM Re: Hallo, it's really nice to be back (long) [Re: aprilsweetpea]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
The wood floors will feel so much cooler in the heat, too! It's easy to add a few cozy rugs for winter, and then taking them up for late spring and summer feels like such a fresh, crisp change.

Sounds like a lot of fun, though a good bit of work, too. I can just imagine how pretty it will be when you're done!

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

#177384 - 01/24/09 01:51 AM Re: Hallo, it's really nice to be back (long) [Re: aprilsweetpea]
NYK Offline

Hi guys,

My name is NYK and I live in Canada. I am a newbie to this forum.I have recently joined your forum and glad to meet you. I am presently working in Stellar as team leader. Thanks

NYK

**Sorry NYK but I had to remove the link from your post, according to forum rules that you agreed to when you signed up. However, you are allowed to add a website to your signature line but not in the actual post.

Edited by tinytina (01/24/09 02:53 PM)

#177432 - 01/24/09 04:52 PM Re: Hallo, it's really nice to be back (long) [Re: NYK]
aprilsweetpea Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Thanks, yes we are looking forward to having nice wooden floors in our bedroom, which is the last room in our place to have it done. I had the other two bedrooms done earlier. It makes such a difference! Feels cleaner somehow.

Hi NYK, welcome and it's so nice to meet you too. Thanks for joining in. I have been to your part of the world - Canada - a few times since my sister used to live there. A beautiful country.

Hugs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >