Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#177109 - 01/21/09 01:25 PM 100 Day Challenge
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I've been keeping current with the news, a new president, new changes, etc. Some news agencies have been reporting on the change and President Obama's First 100 Days in office.

This led to me thinking that I've been in survival mode for a while and I needed a push to get me onto the path of productivity. So I'm issuing a 100 Day challenge for anyone who wants to participate. This is a thread to challenge yourself to be productive for the 100 days.

Later I will be listing the projects that I would like to accomplish during the 100 days. (This is an intensive challenge unlike the Fix or the Procrastination thread.)

Again I would like to restate that the challenge is against yourself. This is here for motivational purposes to help support one another. This is a place to offer encouragement and to see the actual work that is accomplished.

Since your life is different from mine it would be wonderful to see some goals and then the different steps needed to accomplish them. We will use today as a planning day and then start, officially, on January 22. The end date will be May 1, 2009, at 11:59 eastern time.

I hope I haven't scared you all away from this challenge. May 1st is going to come regardless if you partake in a challenge or not. I hope to be able to have a wonderful list of accomplishments.

I hope I'll get some support and many takers.

#177110 - 01/21/09 01:37 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: STRIVING]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
Oh my word do I need this! In the next 90 days or so, my mother and step-father will be moving in with us (temporarily) and then I need to help them find an apartment they can afford on just their SS income. It's not going to be easy.

In the meantime, I feel as if I have let my own life get completely disorganized and out of control. Keep in mind that this is only the way I feel and I'm extremely hard on myself and have very high expectations.

An intensive push is just what I need. I work better under pressure, always have. I too will come up with a list of what I'd like to get accomplished.

Great idea!
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#177121 - 01/21/09 03:46 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Woo Hoo! I have one taker with me. YEAH!

I just made my first list, it has 107 items on it. Not only is it a great place to start, but it's written down and now I can focus my energy on tackling item by item.

I hope others will join us. I think this could be a great organizational tool and motivator as well!

#177123 - 01/21/09 04:06 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: STRIVING]
KT's Mom Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: North East
I'm in. This is perfect for me. I'm in the position of starting my life over again--newly divorced, just moved, looking for a job, looking to recapture the joy I had 20+ years ago.

#177129 - 01/21/09 04:54 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: KT's Mom]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Striving - WOW! 107 things.

KT's Mom - try and look at it as moving on to future joy rather than recapturing something long past. Good luck on your quest!

#177142 - 01/21/09 06:02 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
blessmymess Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Groan!

*Whine* Striving, must I? *Whine*

Yes, I guess I should. Maybe this will be what I need to give me that push to get going.

I am sure I will have at least 100 things to do, from going to the bank (procrastinated on that for over a week), to becoming svelt (being procrastinating on that for about 20 years!)

#177149 - 01/21/09 08:21 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: blessmymess]
KT's Mom Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Chef Sam--thanks much for the perspective. I need that so much right now. 20+ years ago was the last I remembered being truly happy so I hope to recapture that feeling of joy. However, I'm a different person, more mature, 8 year old child and what makes me happy now will be different from what made me happy then.

Feedback from objective people is critical to my success in this new chapter of my life.

Now I need to get busy making "the list"--that will help put structure to this new "champter" I'm opening in my life--help me focus!

#177157 - 01/22/09 12:02 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: KT's Mom]
ShowMeMO Offline
Platinum
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Missouri
I like this, Striving. I am in the throws of life decisions as far as my job. I should know by a month from now if I plan to teach again next year. Even though we could use the money, the stress (read: boss) is beginning to affect my health. I've thought of asking for a para job so I will have NO planning, NO school work after hours (like I just finished tonight) and No papers to deal with compared to what I am doing in my sped job now.

This alone could entail several items on my list such as insurance decisions, etc.

Our house is always in a state of remodeling, but I hope that all comes to an end by the end of this summer.

So, this is good for me to do. Are you making a list and planning to do something each day? I AM working on the school plans already, but won't know for sure until another month or so.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

#177162 - 01/22/09 08:36 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: ShowMeMO]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Oh how exciting to see so many familiar faces! When I made my list I thought of where I would like to be in so many aspects of my life. How could I get there? Then I started making a list of Projects. Some projects are minor, but just need to be done. Others are much more involved and have, or will have, project pages to accompany them.

My motivation is if everything was caught up what would I do with my time? I "saw" exactly what I want to do with my time so when I lack the will, I can envision those other goals.

KT's Mom: This is an exciting time. I'm sure some of it is unsettling but look at how much control you'll have over yourself and your child. I like ChefSam's twist on the joy too.

Welcome Bless! I right there with you on the svelte issue. WE CAN DO THIS!

Hello ShowMeMo: I wasn't aware of your current work situation. Yes, you need to take care of you and do what's best. I hope the "correct" decision for you is shown and you can follow that lead.

Yes, I have made a list of things that I want to accomplish before May 2. Some projects won't start until March, some I can work on now. I hope to develop the habit of catching the things that I let slip through the cracks, BEFORE they slip through.

EVERYONE please remember it doesn't matter how many projects that you have, don't give up. This thread was meant to help people to meet the challenges in their life.

#177176 - 01/22/09 11:41 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: STRIVING]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Here are my projects for today:

1. Make my Projects list!
2. Mail 1 package (write card, wrap gifts, go to the post office)
3. Go to the bank
4. Take DD to new gymnastics class to try out
5. Put gas to the car (DONE)
6. Finish 1 chapter (5 subsections) of document for work
7. Clean out my purse
8. Revise my budget
9. E-mail friend
10. Order medication refill/pick up

That should be a good start!

#177194 - 01/22/09 01:56 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: blessmymess]
KT's Mom Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

LOL, I woke up this morning thinking of things for "the list" for this challenge. It was a positive thing and not stressful at all, it began to get me excited as I thought what my life could look like 100 days from now.

Thanks Striving for starting this--it's giving me a very positive and exciting way to focus my activities and planning!

Now, off to start the list.

#177206 - 01/22/09 03:37 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: KT's Mom]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
GOSH, I think this would be fun.

Okay, I'll give it a whirl! I can add the items from the list into my "fix" wheel, too.

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

#177221 - 01/22/09 04:16 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: ElizabethClark]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
I posted on the project list, and am going to work on those, but I still have some items on the list from last year (so nice to see so much crossed off) so will sit down on the weekend and
work on it. I did really well with the last one, and doing it again is sure to get more completed.

Oh goodness!

#177227 - 01/22/09 05:01 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: dianaro2]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Well I see many familiar faces here, and I think this is exactly what I need to get my life going again. Well by the end of the weekend I will have a list made.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#177231 - 01/22/09 05:36 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: blessmymess]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Here's an update on my projects for today:

1. Make my Projects list - (STARTED)
2. Mail 1 package (write card, wrap gifts, go to the post office) - (STARTED: wrote card, needed address verification before mailing, so, sent e-mail)
3. Go to the bank - DONE
4. Take DD to new gymnastics class to try out - THIS EVENING
5. Put gas to the car (DONE)
6. Finish 1 chapter (5 subsections) of document for work - DONE
7. Clean out my purse - DONE (BONUS: found $6.45 in change at the bottom! Wooooooo Hooooooooo!)
8. Revise my budget - DONE
9. E-mail friend - DONE
10. Order medication refill/pick up - DONE
11. Fill out, copy, and mail insurance document - DONE (This wasn't on my list, but found the document during my purse clean-out!)

11 items; 2 started, 1 will be done this evening, and 8 completed! WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!

#177240 - 01/22/09 06:43 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: STRIVING]
krystal Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: nova scotia,canada
Hello, It has been a long time since I have posted here and was hoping I could join in on this challenge with everyone here. When I read it I thought this would be perfect for me. I have lost my drive to get things done and this challenge is just what I need. I will think about my list and put it in here later.

Again I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I must say I did manage to get my household paperwork caught up for the month--- just this evening. How I dispize (spelling ??) doing paperwork....---Krystal

#177242 - 01/22/09 06:50 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: krystal]
Canadagirl Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: midwest
This is perfect for me... I may be looking at a move before then or by then.

#177244 - 01/22/09 07:07 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: blessmymess]
DarleneM Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
OK add me to the group. I need a push as well. Therefore, with that in mind I intend to complete these projects by May 1 (the end of the 100 days) -

1. have a good start on my MRRP (educational project)
2. finsh the 3 quilts that I want to give as gifts to my grandkids
3. get rid of the boxes that are sitting in my living room (that got pulled out of the spare room) I need to sort and either toss or find homes for the stuff from those boxes
4. maybe do the bedroom swap - I have limited control over this project because it depends on when DH gets the renovating done. I will be doing the painting and most of the moving of small stuff. The rest of that job is his.

Those are huge projects so if I can get them done, along with keeping up-to-date with general house stuff, I will be very happy.

http://powertochange.com/

Personal motto: If you are coming to visit me, come any time. If you are coming to inspect my house, please wait until such time as you can set up an appointment with a real estate agent.

The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook...William James

#177246 - 01/22/09 07:20 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: DarleneM]
Suzy Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Indiana/Arizona
I like this. Maybe by challenging myself for 100 days I will strengthen some of those muscles of mine that have gotten so weak through procrastination & avoidance...

Also, I'd like to use this challenge to build up some HABITS that I so desperately need to do--the exercise & back to journal writing & reading motivational material. I'll work on my list.

Off the top of my head I know I want to get the momentum back on getting the house ready for putting it on the market even though we don't know when we will be doing that as my husband has been given a new job opportunity that he is really enjoying & is now able to telecommute from AZ so we can spend more time (in AZ now) away from the Midwest winter weather, but I need to keep decluttering that house!!--Suzy

#177295 - 01/23/09 09:44 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: Suzy]
beachmum Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: UK
Well, I was thinking, would spring cleaning count? Because I don't do room of the month etc and my house needs a thorough spring clean. I am fairly decluttered and organised BUT as some of you will know 'stuff' creeps up and colonises the place even after decluttering.

I was thinking if I committed to spring cleaning I could take the opportunity to then list and tackle the other jobs that I discover during the process (which does include some decisions on which room to redecorate next, can't do them all just now due to money/time constraints)

#177316 - 01/23/09 01:16 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: beachmum]
krystal Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Today ...

--I finally got to the doctors -- my sinuses have been out of wack and most days inflamed and sore. Which makes for some bad headaches. While I was there I got a blood work req. and will now go in and get my cholestorol etc. checked next week.

--because of this I now have to make an appointment for a full physical--Its going on 2 years since my last one.

My weekend plans---
---take son b'day shopping (he turned 18 this past monday)
---finish shampooing stairs and living room carpet. Hope I have enough shampoo. I should order more.
---Laundry,..has gotten out of control and I am now working on that

I will add to my project list as I go. I do have needlework and rug hooking on the go . Plus I have rooms that need painting and curtains that need to be made. My list would be 100 long if I let it.

Anyway thats it for now. I hope this reaches everyone really thinking about what they want to accomplish in the next 100 days. I look forward to reading and being motivated by everyone here. ---Krystal

#177320 - 01/23/09 02:02 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: krystal]
DarleneM Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Beachmum, I would vote that spring cleaning counts. From my understanding, this is for any projects that move us closer to our long-term goals.

I'm glad to report some progress on my projects - YAY ME!

1. MRRP - today I sent an email to my program director asking him to be my faculty adviser for this project.
2. quilts - no progress on this project - yet! I might do some yet this afternoon though.
3. boxes - I pulled out some "obvious keepers" and put those things away - some childhood toys. Eventually I would like to put the items on display but I want to have DH build a special display case for them. At the moment, my "honey-do" list is long enough and I don't want to make the poor guy feel overwhelmed with my expectations! LOL
4. Bedroom renovation - DH informed me that the room is "paint ready" so "prime walls and ceiling" is on my JDI list for tomorrow. While I'm working on the painting, I think he's going to start building drawer boxes for the built-in storage cabinet/closet.

Personal motto: If you are coming to visit me, come any time. If you are coming to inspect my house, please wait until such time as you can set up an appointment with a real estate agent.

#177360 - 01/23/09 05:55 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: DarleneM]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Here are the next set of projects to work on:

1. wash the last set of living room drapes & lace curtains
2. wash the living room windows (just from the inside, since it is supposed to rain this weekend into the middle of next week)
3. clean the chandelier
4. polish the brassware
5. wash the kitchen cabinets (at least the ones around the stove), vent hood and backsplash
6. get the plumber to fix the leaky toilet
7. sew new slip covers for the family room sofa & loveseat
8. take the car for service
9. make lemon marmalade
10. replace the smoke detector batteries
11. call doctor's office
12. mail 3 packages (including one from yesterday's list)
13. get donations ready for pick up
14. almsgiving (Feb. 8)

#177362 - 01/23/09 06:02 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: blessmymess]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Here is a small list of projects I need to get to.

Letters - I have a list of about 10 people I need to send snail mail letters or cards to. This is going to be a priority.

Data entry. I have a huge pile of email addresses that need to be entered into my work database. Very important and needs to get done.

Closet in office needs to be redone. It's not working right now.

I'm pleased to say that I accomplished something I've been putting off and that was a long-needed car repair. My car was a touch cranky on Wednesday so that forced my hand. Unfortunately the repair was very expensive but I had planned ahead and had most of it in the savings account to cover it.

#177375 - 01/23/09 06:53 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
KT's Mom Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I'm working on creating my project list. I found that I must have a pen and paper in the car with me because items for the list are popping into my head all the time. This challenge has done much to break loose my thinking and got it moving FORWARD!

I'm also working through a book I've had on my shelf for a couple of years to help me think about how to organize my life. Great exercise this evening--identify the major components of your life (much like the FIX categories) and write your life goals (long-term). I started to struggle until the suggestion that you just sit and dream about where you want to be regarding each of them in 10 years. That's the sort of exercise I love to do and have done in the past on an annual basis.

It was great fun and I was very surprised how quickly the answers came to me and how excited (and content) I felt with what I wrote. Clearly I'm starting to let myself feel the freedom on the future ahead of me. The freedom to truly be "ME".

I can't wait to begin creating activities for each of these goals. These will be integrated into my projects list and I'll reassess the projects list in light of these goals also.

It was also exciting to realize that 10 years from now my daughter will be in her senior year of high school and I will be 61--part of my design is to be ready to semi-retire by then IF I want to, or be ready to be financially in a position where I can choose whether I want to work or not and if so doing what. (I can DREAM at least \:\)

I'm really enjoying, and appreciating this thread!

#177439 - 01/24/09 06:19 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: KT's Mom]
krystal Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I read everyone list and am wondering if my list should be bigger items. I have alot of 'spring cleaning' to do myself. So maybe I could get that fitted into my never ending list.

Today dh and I did get son shopping for his b'day and he did good for himself.

I also finished doing an embroidary project and now need to decide whether to make it into a pillow or just frame it. It would make a cute decorative pillow.

So...
--carpet still need shampooing
--laundry still needs to be done too

Tomorrow is another day. AS long as i get one thing on my list done every day I should feel like I have accomplished something.

Later. ---Krystal

#177562 - 01/26/09 11:17 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: krystal]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Hello Everyone! Wow it's wonderful to see so many familiar and new faces. WELCOME!

This thread can be anything that you want it to be. It can be spring cleaning, health, home or car maintenance, annoying problems, little problems that you don't seem to ever make time for, big multi projects, whatever YOU want to accomplish.

As our lives change, so can our lists. 100 days is a long time to accomplish some real projects. On the flip side, it's but a drop in the bucket. The one that keeps me going is that the 100 days will pass regardless if I plan them out or fly by the seat of my pants. How I want to spend that time is up to me. I get to be the boss.

I work for a small company. I enjoy my bosses and the work when it's busy. However, it's either feast or famine regarding the work load. I have to work, so I would rather work where I'm busy all the time and not have to be creative in my work load. So one of my goals is to actively seek better employment.

I've filled out one application package over the weekend. Tonight I hope to finish two more packages before the deadlines.

My DD was ill on Friday. While she slept I washed the walls on the first floor. I also cleaned the oven. For weekly work, I wiped down the bathroom, emptied garbages, took out recycling, washed dishes, vacuumed the first floor, and cleaned the glass.

I also updated my planner and wrote out several projects.

Daily I've been balancing my accounts and know exactly where I want to be. Looking ahead allows me to plan for those little expenses, like Valentine Day Cards and pencils for the three kids. We just know have to wait for lists of students names and proper spelling for all of the kids.

I cleaned off two flat surfaces and dealt with all of the paperwork and projects that were on those surfaces.

Even though I haven't completed a full project, I have been systematically working through several hot spots. Overall my environment, time management, procrastination, finances, career, spokes have been touched.

#177575 - 01/26/09 12:33 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: STRIVING]
biggestloser50 Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi everyone!
Glad things are caught up.
Clean out clutter in the basement and organized put in rubbermaid, toss out, garbages,sweeping more to go.
ALready have done files organized my gosh ! I didnt realized I had two big boxes of recycling paper from the filing cabinet.
Lots to do shredder ran out bags good get some.
I m grateful see my big file cabinet are getting less room. Now I know what to put in. Oh n ooo more clutter hee...got some ideas what to put in beside papers filing.
I have so many binders empty out now geez. What a waste! I dont know what to do empty binders now geez.

#177577 - 01/26/09 12:52 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: biggestloser50]
Groundhog Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Eggeberg, Germany
I'm in, too! Still working on my list (it's going to be a long one, I'm sure). My huge goal is to get this house in order. There are many things to get done, some small projects, some bigger. I know I'm late to join, but independently from this challenge, I started last week (seems to be the "yes I can"-factor, LOL!).

DSO starts work early right now, and try to open my eyes at 6 o'clock so I can see him before he leaves at 6.15, even if only for a few minutes. And I discovered that there's a lot I can do before I leave the house at 8.40 a.m., not just taking a shower and watch the morning news on TV. I take it easy so I'm not already out of energy before I arrive at my office.

#177578 - 01/26/09 01:02 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: biggestloser50]
krystal Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Striving, Your weekend was definitely full and alot was accomplished. Way to go!!

biggestloser50, Your weekend was full as well. Great job!!

---------------------
As for me I just did little things. My laundry is still on the go...what a pile that was. Getting down there though.

My roast is in the oven almost cooked and I'll do my veggies up shortly. Just doing them ontop the stove tonight.Still need to do a bunch of dishes that magically appeared just as my son was going out the door. Really need to get on him about the dirty dishes in his room. Yuck!!!! Hmmmm.....I think maybe it's his turn to do the supper dishes. That is if he shows up for supper like I told him too. What a kid.

My dryer just buzzed so I'm off to do a switch up again.

Tonight I'll work on my stain glass rug hooking. I took a class and really enjoy the effect of this technique.

Later. ---Krystal

#177591 - 01/26/09 02:04 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: krystal]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Even more people to welcome! How cool is that?! Welcome, everyone!

Krystal your stain glass rug hooking sounds interesting.

As, I wrote earlier, I have a master list from which I'm working. As I complete my projects I'll highlight them from my list. On the last day I hope to list all of the projects. It's just something to keep me going, how I'll acknowledge all of my hardwork.

Keep at it, I love to hear the progress.

#177592 - 01/26/09 02:12 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: krystal]
DarleneM Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

I see where my last post here was last Friday. I have progress and additions to report today!

1. MRRP - I heard back from my faculty adviser. He was away for a few days and will get back to me again midweek when he gets back in the office. In the meantime, I could (and should) write out my ideas, ready to run them past him to see what he thinks.
2. quilts - I worked on one of my quilts some on Fri afternoon. My sewing machine has been "silent" since then. In the meantime though, I have added a huge sewing project - making a wedding gown for a special friend. She stopped by on Sat with the fabric and pattern. I'll need to make that a priority for this challenge period - since they are looking at May 23 as a wedding date!
3. boxes - I feel like I'm procrastinating on this project but eventually it will get done.
4. Bedroom renovation - Primer is on and the first coat of paint is on the ceiling. I'm going to put a second coat on the ceiling in a few minutes. I figure we should do a good job now because the chances of repainting in the next few years will be close to nil!

In addition to these larger projects, I'm working to keep up in other areas - keeping my kitchen clean and my house tidy, laundry caught up and other routine things.

#177593 - 01/26/09 02:40 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: DarleneM]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterford, MI
Okay Striving, count me in on this one!!! A new year, a new life, a new me, a new job/business,and maybe a new social life too!

My list is longer than both arms and legs combined and the overwhelm factor is in full tilt.

Since Thanksgiving, I have gone back to the old job, filed for divorce, sold the house in GA(just before DH let it go into foreclosure), had a huge disaster created when everything from the old house got dumped in the new house on the move, am trying to get the business started so I can leave a job I really do not like(but it pays the bills), and have been out of town for a week for both a business conference and a couple days of r and r. Whew!!! looking at this, it's no wonder I am exhausted.

I have started a list.
-Get paperwork detailing life to attorney before end of this week-this is the one must do this week and it really needs to be done by Wednesday at 5.
-Clean up in master bedroom-creating a cozy retreat to escape to!
-Organize office to create productivity for new biz.
-Set up files for 2009 for easy life and no confusion at year end
-Hire and train friend who will do data entry for me for biz.
-Unpack boxes-goal is one per day-and repack for DH to remove for his life. The benefit here is that he has not even offered to come help so I get to choose what I want to keep(problem is that I am overly fair and need to start getting a bit more selfish for me!)

On the plus side-there are a few accomplishments so far.
The decluttering/separating of belongings is making me look more thoroughly at what I have. I treated myself to a shopping trip at IKEA for some things for the house. I am giving DH all the old silverware, glasses, and dishes and splitting cookware, plasticware and pots and pans. I got new simple silverware, dishes and simple glassware (dishes for 8, silver/glasses for 12) and spent less than a hundred dollars for all of it...and I really like what I got. There are now 9 boxes stacked and labeled for DH in the dining room for his kitchen.

He came over today for about an hour and we walked through the house to determine which furniture he wanted and I have a plan of action. I need to buy a new bed (which I wanted anyway as the king is too big for this house) and will probably buy a new loveseat for the living room as well.

I have managed to put up new curtains in the dining room, but mismeasured so need to hang the rod higher so they won't drag on the ground, but that can wait. I also finally pulled down the butt ugly dark purple velour drapes that were in the living room when I bought the house (I washed them and will yard sale them in the spring) and put up some red tab panels I had in the linen closet. Still not what I want in there, but I bought some sheets at IKEA(hey I like the place cause it is really cheap!) and need to sew them into the drapes. At least there is something on the windows I can live with for the time being.

I pulled my arm out of whack and cannot lift things so got DH to bring a half dozen boxes in from the garage so I can sort them too. These boxes are mainly knick knacks, kitchen stuff, drapes and stuff to sort and probably toss or donate. I took down all his family pictures that I had up in the hallway and will need to patch and touch up paint those spots and reorganize my pix....but those are in boxes in his pile and out of my way too.

If I can clear an area in the garage, then I can start stacking some of his boxes out there and give me a little bit of breathing room, and lessen the clutter. The piles are driving me crazy as they are everywhere and I really need something that looks clean and uncluttered right now. I know that this will help me to better focus if I have some cleared out areas.

Okay.....this is enough for now. this list has made me tired!

#177597 - 01/26/09 03:32 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: beaglelady]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Wow you all make me want to "Strive" for more in my life. Thus, the motivation has begun. How do I begin to say thank you for getting me off of my big ole rear?!

The pace is steady and motivation is high.

#177612 - 01/26/09 04:29 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: STRIVING]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Very impressive ladies! Doing a few things here and there.
Today I finished all the shredding I needed to do from the last of the papers. Did five buckets full!

Working on branches too.

Also cleared up an area in the basement and want to bring up a container to see if it will fit in the pantry to hold the pet foods. I like the idea from Country Org., and have this one which could work...will let you know, otherwise it is a donation.

#177689 - 01/27/09 01:05 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: dianaro2]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Over the weekend, I managed to cross off a couple of projects from my list - I took the car in for a service and I did my paperwork/filing (all caught up and current!)

The computer crashed on Sun., so, took it in for repairs, which is a project I hadn't anticipated!

Did some general housework, too.

#177716 - 01/27/09 04:50 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: blessmymess]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Changed lights in the ceiling in the kitchen that had burned out. Sent mail to DD that she requested.

The cart didn't work in the pantry. That is a good thing, as I started storing the extra paper products on the floor in there and it isn't too wide to accommodate all that. I put the "extra" packets of food in a drawer (like COs) and have a little bin for the dry foods. The canned can stay in the containers I can slide out as I need the food. That cleared up alot of empty boxes for recycling and also one central location instead of tossing thru the pantry shelves looking each time.
You learn so many interesting ideas here on GON, even after all my years here. LOL

#177733 - 01/27/09 07:51 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: dianaro2]
Canadagirl Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: midwest
I designed, made and sent invitations to a celebration I'm hosting next month. climbed my 2nd peak of my 7 peaks this season challenge. Cleaned the girls room. and got back on top of my housework/laundry.

#177766 - 01/28/09 07:46 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: blessmymess]
Linda S. Offline
Silver (25-49 Posts)

Loc: New York
I have 3 items I would like to complete in the next 100 days:
1. Bank and keep $1500 in savings
2. Lose 15 pounds
3. Finish my "In Case I am Gone" binder

So now that they are in writing for all to see, hopefully I will be able to get there step by step thru the next 91 days.

#177768 - 01/28/09 08:09 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: Linda S.]
Vicki Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Loc: Michigan
I'll jump on board...

1. Finish painting inside of house: kitchen, dining room, 1 bathroom and back entryway yet to go. Living room, bathroom, 3 bedrooms and stairs/upstairs hallway were done between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

2. Work on making my daily routine list a solid habit that I actually DO every day.

3. Make exercise a solid daily habit

4. Finish my "In Case" binder

5. Reorganize/back-up/copy photos

#177772 - 01/28/09 08:44 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: Vicki]
DarleneM Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

I am faithfully moving forward with my projects. I haven't made progress on all of them because the bedroom project has been demanding more attention for a short time. I'm not worried about being "lop sided" because I know life gets like that at times.

1. MRRP - My faculty adviser is back in his office so I can submit my ideas whenever. I also cleared my project idea with the superviser of the group where I would like to do my "research". My next step is to describe what my research idea looks like and why it is a valid project. Once that is written, I am to submit that to my faculty adviser for his input/approval.
2. sewing - M's wedding dress and my quilt projects.
3. boxes - I feel like I'm procrastinating on this project but eventually it will get done.
4. Bedroom renovation - This is the project that is currently my concentration. The ceiling is painted (2 coats) and later today the walls will be painted a second coat. Then that project goes back to DH to build the closet/storage unit.

#177777 - 01/28/09 09:27 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: DarleneM]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Welcome Vicki and Linda S! How great that we have a couple of more users.

This morning DD woke up early so I put my "extra" 1/2 hour to good use. I gathered up a load of dirty laundry, DS took it downstairs. I sorted through three stacks of paper and have them filed appropriately. I emptied the upstairs garbage cans. I put several items away that don't belong in my room. It's looking so much better!

DH promised to take a box of papers downstairs. In addition, we found several items that need to be put away from Thanksgiving he volunteered to do that.

My "big" goals for this week are to clean out or up my bedroom. This consists of getting everything out of there that doesn't belong. Change the bedding, vacuum and dust thoroughly.

I need to continue to get back on track with my routines for cleaning. Besides the master bedroom, I need to do the weekly cleaning. Also, I need to pick up the family room.

Laundry needs to be caught up, including putting the clean laundry away.

We're leaving for the weekend, so that means I need to get everyone packed and ready to leave.

I have a present that needs to be wrapped and mailed.

By last item before the weekend is to write a letter to a vendor. The merchandise we purchased is shoddy quality and never lived up to the expectations.

These efforts will help with time management, procrastination, environment, and family fun.

Edited by STRIVING (01/28/09 10:29 AM)

#177813 - 01/28/09 12:19 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: STRIVING]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

I cleaned the chandelier, yesterday. So, to update my list:

1. wash the last set of living room drapes & lace curtains
2. wash the living room windows (just from the inside)
3. clean the chandelier - DONE
4. polish the brassware
5. wash the kitchen cabinets (at least the ones around the stove), vent hood and backsplash
6. get the plumber to fix the leaky toilet
7. sew new slip covers for the family room sofa & loveseat
8. take the car for service - DONE
9. make lemon marmalade
10. replace the smoke detector batteries
11. call doctor's office
12. mail 3 packages
13. get donations ready for pick up
14. almsgiving (Feb. 8)

As you can see, I am moving along at a snail's pace, here!

Edited by blessmymess (01/28/09 12:19 PM)

#177883 - 01/29/09 08:25 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: blessmymess]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Bless, do you remember the story of the turtle and the hare?! It doesn't matter how fast you move, as long as you keep your eye on your goal. It's when we get sidetracked along the way, that we have further problems. You're making progress and that's all that matters.

Remember we all lead different lives, with different priorities. Give yourself a break and enjoy your craft time.

END OF LECTURE, for now, TEE HEE!

#177952 - 01/29/09 02:30 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: STRIVING]

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Striving: Ah, yes, I know it as the "Tortoise and the Hare". "Slow and steady wins the race" used to be a favorite saying of my mother's. \:\)

I started cleaning the kitchen cabinets, yesterday. I am making progress.

#177958 - 01/29/09 03:10 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: blessmymess]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Of Course! It's the Tortoise and the Hare! Why couldn't I remember that?! However you were able to get the point that I was trying to make.

#178242 - 01/31/09 10:43 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: STRIVING]
Suzy Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Gee--you guys--I just got back from my trip, finished teaching a class, been snow bound for 3 days, & have finally finished my list. I'm way behind. Hope to post it tomorrow--but have to work about 12 hours tomorrow!! UGH--Suzy

#178251 - 02/01/09 07:41 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: Suzy]
KT's Mom Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I'm behind on the list too but my goal this week is to finish it and post it.

However, I did accomplish one thing on the list--final divorce hearing completed on Friday! About 10 days of settlement process and then that is done. That's a huge stress completed--safely which was one of the biggest challenges TYG!

Now I can move on to other things and plan my new life. I'm excited about moving forward.

#178259 - 02/01/09 09:15 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: KT's Mom]
blessed Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Hi Ladies,

I've been traveling, and haven't logged on to the site as a result. Have come on after almost 3 weeks, and this was almost the first topic I came across! LOL!

I turn 36 the day after tomorrow (3rd), and I'd like to start my 100 days tomorrow, if that's possible. I'll put my daughter to bed and plan some great goals for me to achieve in the coming 100 days, and will post for sure.

Thanks, and see you all soon!

Blessed

#178280 - 02/01/09 12:00 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: blessed]
Groundhog Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I just decided I won't post my list - it would take hours! I carry it around with me in my filofax. There are lots of small projects (like getting rid of the dried out plant on the bedroom window sill) and bigger ones (like "sort through shoes, decide which ones to keep and clean them if necessary, find appropriate storage for them and donate the others), all in baby steps. And the list grows every day.

I accomplished quite a lot already, and the strange thing is that I enjoy it!
And I enjoy that the house looks a little better every day. I think I just needed the motivation. Thanks for that!

#178281 - 02/01/09 12:05 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: Groundhog]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

STRIVING:
I did alot today for some reason. Maybe Phichef and Bless' Log jam posting. Anyhow I was able to straighten out the garage, put the litter into a container, the ice melt into another one,
line up the empty water bottles for delivery tomorrow, put the rest of the winter/christmas items on the shelf, brought out the rest of the Valentine decorations and linens for the main bath.
Vacuumed the hallway, and dinning room, kitchen, will do the other floors after I post.

Those were things I think I had on my list if not, I did them anyhow!

STRIVING hope your weekend away was fun!

#178310 - 02/01/09 07:45 PM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: dianaro2]
KT's Mom Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Another big one item on my list done! My internet connection hasn't been right since it was installed about 5 weeks ago. Today I called right after lunch--seemed to be a slow time with no wait to get a technician and pleasant attitudes (now that's a miracle). It took three phone calls and nearly 3 hours on the phone but finally I got kicked up to a senior tech who spent over an hour and we got both computers hooked up and working correctly (fingers crossed).

I've turned them both on and off again a couple of times because the first two attempts failed when you restarted the computer.

major annoyance resolved! Yes!

I had to smile--the last guy said (while we were waiting for his diagnostic equipment to do it's job) "so other than spending your entire afternoon on the phone with us, how has your day been". I laughed and said believe it or not, if you get this fixed it will be a great day even if I did get to spend my afternoon with you all. He was sure surprised. Have to give him credit for his sense of humor--and sincere apology.

If all tech support was this pleasant to deal with.

#178339 - 02/02/09 05:28 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: KT's Mom]
Suzy Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

One of my goals for this challenge was to get back to reading motivational material as I need frequents boosts to keep me going. This is one I just found by Jill Bolte Taylor:
"We have the power to choose, moment by moment, who & how we want to be in the world."
**Plan menus for healthier diet—follow diabetic diet more closely especially in regards to fats, fruits & vegetables
**Exercise 5 days a week (30 min. cardio; 15 min. strength) even if I have to do the cardio in 10 min. stints throughout the day
**Journal writing
**45 min. doing paperwork—mail; filing (I actually use binders); keeping track of medical & ins. stuff
**1 hr. a day declutter sunroom which has become the catchall for my knitting supplies, stacks of misc. stuff in boxes that I haven’t found a “home” for yet & things I’m procrastinating on doing
**Iron—keep up on that (maybe 4 hrs. a week)
**Effort to be more sociable; not automatically think/say “no” to invitations! Not think of having company over as a big ordeal & relax about it (did have people over this weekend & husband helped straighten the house for me)
I think a lot of “attitude work”—turn attitude towards healthy diet & frequent exercise as a positive thing—how lucky I am that I can reverse some of my health issues with lifestyle changes (high blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, overweight, depression & anxiety) instead of thinking of it as a deprivation thing (can’t have high fat food—my weakness, things like salad dressing) or “Ugh, I have to exercise” or “I don’t have time to exercise.”
I saw a quote somewhere: “If you don’t have time to exercise, you’d better make time to be sick.”
Now all these goals are the SAME goals I’ve had over & over again so I’ve been thinking what are the barriers I have to achieving these goals? Obviously just writing them down is not doing the trick! I think a big mistake is giving into the EXCUSE that I don’t WANT to exercise in the morning so I plan to do it at noon then at noon I PROCRASTINATE then by 2:00 or so I’m a little behind on my other chores on my “to do” list & start to RATIONALIZE that the day is almost over & FOR SURE I’LL DO IT TOMORROW.
So I’ve got to overcome this barrier & “just do it” in the morning even though (poor me) “I don’t feel like it.” Also, I think doing something healthy like exercising in the morning will put me in a better mindset to keep the motivation going to follow a healthy diet.
The day before yesterday I did an abs DVD for the first time in a long time & I am SO SORE. I really need to be doing this!--Suzy

#178361 - 02/02/09 09:09 AM Re: 100 Day Challenge [Re: Suzy]
Groundhog Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Another project on my list - the rod in my bedroom closet broke down this morning. What can I say - it's Monday!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >