Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#175788 - 01/05/09 08:24 AM The Fix: January Week One
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Here at the FIX we learn how to evaluate our lives. We keep a monthly summary of what we're doing, what our plans are and how we're doing on any given day. The FIX allows us to see and create balance in our lives. It takes some work because we ask that you evaluate your life and then jump into FIXing the areas that need some attention.

For inquiring minds... The FIX doesn't stand for anything specific, just that we are FIXing our lives by bringing them into balance.

To evaluate our lives, we start by using what we call our wheely thing or charty thing, or some assemblance of those words.

Draw a circle, slice the circle into pie segments, each section represents each element of your life. Most of us have about 12-15 sections. (Your sections may be fewer, and defined as you choose!)

For example:

Career
Health
Spiritual
Environment
Education
Fun/Leisure
Finances
Family
Friends
Significant Other
Pets
Children
Becoming Me
Big Goals
Hobbies
Community
Time Management

Take some time and define what it means to be 'successful' for YOU in each area/section you've chosen. That helps to make a better & more concrete evaluation of what your life really looks like.

For Example: success in one person's health area might look like: "I cook balanced meals including lots of fresh veggies, drink lots of water, take my supplements, exercise and relax. I'm not overweight and enjoy outdoor adventures." For someone in the midst of a hightened medical situation, success in the health area probably will look radically different.

Then on a scale of 1 to 10 or high-medium-low or great-good-ok-bad-awful, determine and chart how satisfied you are with each area and how close are you to what you think is 'ideal' for you. (You get to choose whether 10 is best or worst!)

On your circle, the number or term you determine is bad, is in the center - the good number is on the outside. You might want to show the numbers in between as well. For evaluating, the better an area of your life is, the closer you make it to the outside of the chart. And the worse a section of your life is, the closer it is to the center. The purpose is that when your chart is finished, you can see where you have a 'flat tire' in life i.e. where the chart dips into the middle.

To actually chart each area, put a dot at the good or bad level you've determined for each section. Then draw an arc from one inside edge of each slice, up to the dot, then back down to the other outside edge of the slice. You might want to color the arc just to keep things interesting.

When you get the chart complete, it is a picture of where your life is and how its working. From there you can set goals to make things better in the areas where you aren't doing so well. And continue to maintain the areas that are doing pretty good.

Good planning will make this year so much more enjoyable. So good luck, I can't wait to see where we all go from here!

#175791 - 01/05/09 08:36 AM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: STRIVING]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Did I tell you that I oh so love this emoticon?! For me it describes the post holiday season so well. After all of the hustle and bustle from the past weeks, I do look forward to a "slower" pace for a while.

In addition, the weather in my part of the country is downright frigid from now until mid March. So that kind of eliminates any outside adventures. That makes me a little unhappy. However, it is what it is.

This is a good time to implement some spring/summer plans. I would like to finish up some items as well from the never ending P list.

I have been pretty good over my extended breaks, Christmas and New Years, to finish some projects. I usually leave the holiday decorations up through the twelve days of Christmas. This year, however, I did take them down on the third. It fit my schedule better.

I cleaned the girl's room and helped DS with his. Even though he does have a nightly pick up and a weekly room clean he always seems to be living in a mess.

I sent out the New Years letters and pictures today.

We went sledding and had a good time. In addition the kids played outside when the weather was above zero. DS helped with shoveling the driveway and the patio in the back.

I did a good cleaning of the house on the 29th of December. In between times I've kept up with the laundry and the kitchen, until last night. I have a load of dishes to wash this evening.

I made up a recipe for white chili, it was very tasty.

Overall things are going well, I'd like to keep up with the momentum and continue to work on some goals. What are you up to?

Please post your goals not only for January but where you would like to be in a year's time. I'm looking forward to goals and steady plodding along that help make those goals a reality.

#175793 - 01/05/09 08:46 AM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: STRIVING]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
So glad this is up STRIVING, I am hoping to be more faithful to the fix. Time to get back on the wheel!

After all my kids left for their homes, I was exhausted for a day or so! Not use to all the people around. It was great to see a snowman in the yard, and grandma didn't think to take a photo! Darn! I also didn't get a family photo either. I really should have written it down, like I thought of and didn't do!

Ok, NEW YEAR NEW ME, is my motto! I am already trying to plan something each month for ME to get together with friends and try and do something different.

Have already registered for two women's weekends. One in a suburb close so I don't have to sleep over in March and will go with my friend next door, and the other one is in April In Lake Geneva with 4 friends. There we will be staying for the weekend!
Booked Gypsy at my son's! LOL They can come and feed the cats.

Am working on setting up Maria's Oh So Easy Filing system, while going thru and tossing (will shred) the old bills from last year.
This is going to take a few days.

Have some receipe filing back to do also. Took out some cookie receipes, but didn't make but two I think. No one missed it,and brought cookies with them.

Had a gathering with some relatives. Took my BIL/SIL out for their separate birthdays. Got all the cards for Jan. ready to send.

Pretty much discovered I have the gifts for this year's Christmas (bonus ones, along with the checks!). Forgot all about the packages in the garage. Pays to clean things out and go thru them!

Well, I'm jumping all over but this is my beginning plan for this year....

#175796 - 01/05/09 08:58 AM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: dianaro2]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Hello Dianaro! You seem to be already to go in 2009! You're certainly on the ball!

I have a list of stuff prepared for the upcoming little while. I'm not sure how long the stuff will take to get accomplished, but I'm certainly looking foward in getting it off of my list.

Elizabeth: When DS got his braces, he only needed full pain meds for two full days. Then it was in the morning and before he slept
at night. Within a week he was off of full meds. I would recommend definitely stocking up on it. He also needed about a days worth after the orthodontist tighten his braces.

#175800 - 01/05/09 10:16 AM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: STRIVING]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Hello everyone,

I recognize that this is the place I need to be as well.

Dianaro, I want to 'borrow' your motto because I truly believe 2009 will be the year of a new me. I am super excited about the prospect of what this year may bring but I am kinda nervous too.

Striving, I am looking forward to seeing your upcoming list.

I recognize that I need to make a clear cut list too. I have quite a bit that I would like to get done.

I am waiting on my teaching license so in the meantime I need to start applying for jobs within and outside my field. I can also spend some extra time on cleaning up my house, organizing areas that are bothering me, setting up Maria's Filing System too, taking a couple of classes I need, and spending some time working on a budget and meal planning. Feeling slightly overwhelmed by it all.

Edited by tinytina (01/05/09 10:17 AM)

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#175839 - 01/05/09 01:42 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: tinytina]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Tinytina:
Just do one thing at a time. Maybe try not being nervous about what this year will bring. Enjoy it and challenge yourself!
That is what I am planning.

~~~~~~~~~~~
This week I am planning on finishing up putting the decorations away (found two hiding in the dining room, the little devils!), and working on the filing system, and shredding.

Also going out his week for some bday fun and next too! You know I always like to stretch things out to celebrate as long as I can! I also found the cutest candy molds to make thank you 's out of them! I know I will be receiving gifts! I am like a little kid! Anyhow, also having a neighbor couple over that I was going to do for the past 3 years. This is the year!

#175938 - 01/06/09 11:34 AM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: dianaro2]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Guess I scared everyone off!

#175949 - 01/06/09 12:50 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: dianaro2]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
Nope Diana, I scared myself off. I've been hesitant to admit to myself just how out of whack my wheel has been. I'm not starting 2009 out the way I was hoping for.

Career: Very busy but I've been intensely frustrated because of the holidays. I wasn't able to get people to do anything for about 2 weeks. I'd send emails and they all got shoved off until yesterday. Still trying to get responses to most of my stuff. Just have to take everything one step at a time.

DH: I have to admit, I've been really short with him lately. He's been stressed and in a funk and I've been trying to be supportive but there are times I just want to shake him.

Perfect example - last night, he couldn't sleep so he got out of bed at 3am. The cat was driving him nuts wanting to go out. This morning he's complaining about it. I just looked at him and said - well, 4 months ago I spent $65 to buy a cat door and asked you to install it. If that was done, the cat wouldn't be driving you nuts. His response? I don't know where you want it installed. HUH? We had a lengthy discussion about whether or not he had the tools to cut the hole in the door leading from our bedroom to the back deck.

I went over the Master List again with him this weekend and he did pick the laundry room and tackled some of those projects yesterday.

DD: She started back to school yesterday. We've got some issues about chores going on but other than that all seems to be well.

Spiritual: Next Thursday, DH and another couple and I will be attending an Evening with the Tibetan Monks of the Gaden Shartze Monastery. It is a Tibetan Monastery, now located in exile in Southern India. The monks travel to teach about life in the monastery, the purpose of the monastery, what they study, what life is like in exile and discuss the teachings of the Dalai Lama. They are staying nearby for a month and will be building a sand mandala which I'm hoping to get to visit.

Environment: The vast majority of the house is neat and clean EXCEPT MY OFFICE. Yes, it is my ROTM. I am so frustrated with it, I don't even want to be in here. It's MUCH smaller than my previous office and I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it function.

I have lots more to mention but I have to get back to work!
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#175960 - 01/06/09 03:03 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I'm kind of in the same boat as ChefSam. I was hoping to be further along than I am. The weather is so cold that it's zapping my motivation and lethargy is setting in.

Work has been so busy because two of the bosses are leaving for four months to winter in a warmer climate.

DH and I are attending a six week course for our foster parenting.

A couple of medical problems are happening too. My focus isn't where it normally is, but I'm still trying to put one foot in front of the other.

I hope everything is going well for you!

#175964 - 01/06/09 03:39 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: STRIVING]
phantom37 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Kansas
Hello everyone!

The first 3 weeks of January are so busy for me!

Friends/Family: My b-day is coming up this Sunday so I have various lunches/dinners planed with various friends & family. My dad's wedding is next week. I am flying out Thursday with family and coming back on Monday. I have to figure out how to get my bridesmaid dress there since I am only bringing a carry-on.

Me time: I saw a movie on Sunday that I have been waiting awhile to see. I would like to read the book its based on but am having a hard time tracking down a copy.

Environment: Its looking pretty good around here. \:\) Just a magazine and some books that I am thinking about selling are on the floor. It helped that the cat spilled water all over the floor so everything had to be put away. lol

Health: Pretty good in this area too. I have been eating my fruits everyday. Not doing so well with veggies but thats ok. I got a talking jump rope for x-mas that is supposed to motivate me to excercise! If I could only figure out how it works!

Career/School: I am having some communication problems with my new school so I have some issues to resolve. It doesn't help that they have switched my counselors several times!

I think thats it for now. I will check back later. \:\)

Logic will get you from A to B. Creativity can take you anywhere. Albert Einstein

#175975 - 01/06/09 06:20 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: phantom37]
dianaro2 Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Hey Alyssa, my birthday is on Thursday, Good old capricorns!
Trudging ahead! LOL

I hear both you ChefSam and STRIVING.
ChefSam:
Guys want to be TOLD exactly where to put the items we request.
Glad he jumped on the bandwagon for the work you wanted done.

STRIVING:
Hope the medical problems are nothing serious. One foot in front of another is a good way to move ahead.

Trying to take babysteps to "lighten" up the household.

#176017 - 01/07/09 10:17 AM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: dianaro2]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

The class I'm taking looks like it's going to be good. Lots of discussion and very little outside class work. I kind of like that!

Not much was done last night due to the class.

I need to figure out something easy warm and fast to make tonight for dinner. I'm thinking bacon and scrambled egg breakfast burritos with fruit salad.

Tonight I hope to do a couple loads of laundry and to whip the 1st level into shape. It may take a couple of evenings though. Although progress is progress.

#176030 - 01/07/09 12:30 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: phantom37]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
Striving, when we're needing a fast dinner, we have "egg stack" and toast. Egg stack is basically flat omelets (because I never learned how to properly rolls them, and don't want to stand at the stove making individual omelets.) I layer thin discs of egg with cheese and veggies and a bit of breakfast meat, then I give it a quick nuke (gasp!) and we all get a wedge. YUMMY.

Thanks, too, for the info on the braces. I think she'll just be kind of miserable for the first two weeks, as she has to have canines out, and then brackets on. But, DH made a fun discovery when he asked for the "extraction day" as a personal day and his boss denied it... because he's already scheduled off for the last three days of his 2008 vacation time. \:\)

ChefSam, what's your space in the new office? Do you have any vertical storage? Closets that can be turned into alcoves with shelves? One thing we just did this past month was to take off the bi-fold closet doors and replace them with a tension shower curtain rod and nice draperies. It is SO much better, visually, and access-wise. If the desk isn't working, would it work better to wall-mount a wide (18") shelf with heavy-duty brackets as a work space?

We're in the process of gearing up to update my workstation, finally. In February, we'll be adding two computers (laptop, and second desk top)... so this 48" long desk isn't going to work. \:\) DH is instead using 18" deep heavy duty shelf brackets (painted "hammered iron"), and a 24" wide piece of birch plywood with a 1x3" pine apron edge (all wood enameled black--my job!), and mounting that to our wall in the main room, where everything interesting in life happens. The whole assemblage is 8' long, with a 5' long shelf above, and a 3' shelf above that if I can talk him out of the wood scraps. The whole project will come in at about $120, total.

That project will spiff up the Environmental organization level a goodly bit. And having more than one computer will really ease up our bottleneck, between my work, DH's work, and two kids homeschooling.

WORK: Wow, actual movement forward! I'm getting some good work done, and spent several hours yesterday writing. I also picked up a new lightbox, which makes illustrations easier.

Since I know the next few months are going to be more than a bit busy with deadlines, I really need to put a bit of time into better menu planning, so I don't lose time having to hit the store for tiny things.

Alyssa, good for you on the fruits! What veggies do you particularly like? Do you like good salad? We did a pan of roasted veggies last night with dinner, and they were SO GOOD... potatoes, onions, parsnips, and carrots. DH even tried the parsnips, after the children assured him they were really good. He's tentatively agreeing with them, and asked me to try them in a few more things. (This from the man who, when I met him, would eat loaded baked potatoes, iceberg lettuce salads and green bean casserole ONLY. I have made STRIDES. \:\) )

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

#176034 - 01/07/09 12:54 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: ElizabethClark]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Elizabeth - Yes, removing the closet doors and putting up drapes is definitely on the list! I did that in DH's office and DD's bedroom and it's much better. There's actually a very large closet in here, takes up most of the one wall and I have put up large shelves in the entire thing. It's simply a matter of ORGANIZATION at this point. I'm not using what I have properly, total user error. :-)

I got so spoiled in my last house - my office was 13 x 17. Yes, I shared it with DH but he was never there! We had two desks and a bed in there and it still had plenty of space to move around. This office is about 11' x 11' and I have a lot of stuff in here. Yup, time to reassess what I really need.

#176099 - 01/08/09 08:46 AM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

At work I'm officially on my own. I already miss my boss it's been just over 28 hours. It's going to be a long 4 months if I don't change my 'tude.

Last night didn't go as planned. However, the kids pulled together and we were able to get everything done. Plus the kids were in bed on time. I love that when everyone helps out.

On December 29, I broke my tooth so I had $135 emergency visit to the dentist. Then the next day I had my crown to the tune of $875 with no dental insurance. We do have a flex account so we'll get a portion of that back. However, DH and I are committed to getting this "off of our backs". We had to put it on a credit card. So I'm really limiting purchases from the store and eating what we have at home. First week we're doing fine. I know that by the end of the month, meals are going to be interesting.

By taking a look at some of our spending patterns I have been able to free up an additional $27 this week. So that will be added to the dental bill this week. Hopefully next week I'll be able to do the same. By cutting back in the grocery area any unused money will be added to that bill.

#176121 - 01/08/09 11:22 AM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: STRIVING]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Striving: Hope you adjust to being at work without your boss. Pantry-based meals can be quite a challenge but you have a talent for coming up with wonderful menus.

I went back to work this Monday, after being off since Dec. 23. Officially, I am supposed to work 100% of my time on high priority Project A, but yesterday, my supervisor asked me if I could still continue to work on Projects B, C, and D, as well. Sigh.

I have been finding myself feeling rather tired when I come home, so I have been resting and knitting and not doing any housework. The house is tidy, but some deep cleaning has been neglected.

Daughter is still on vacation, but will start school next week and I really need to get myself organized with school lunches: planning the menus, grocery shopping and cooking ahead, this weekend.

#176140 - 01/08/09 12:24 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: blessmymess]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Bless, I know DD is in a challenging academic program--would taking over some of the menu planning be a relaxing thing for her, or more stress?

Striving, poor you! Dental emergencies are among the worst, I think. OUCH. Good job to the whole family on making that bill a priority. When it gets down to interesting meals, it's amazing how much you can perk up the pantry staples with some inexpensive fresh veg, good rice, and a little bit of chicken. Soups and breads are cheap to make at home, and very filling, too! When it starts getting interesting, let us know, and I know I'm happy to share some "Frugal Week" recipes from our family!

FIXY:

Environment: not toooooo bad, actually. I've a load of laundry in the dryer while I type, and just folded up two loads this morning. Last night, I was just whipped by the time DH was ready to go to bed, but instead of moving all the baskets to the corner, I took the 5 minutes to separate things out for he and I, and the kids, and then folded and put away the adult clothing, leaving only the children's things for this morning. NICE difference there, and DH remarked that it was cool to see NO extra clutter in our bedroom.

I'll call a friend in a few minutes, and let her know we'll be by to retrieve DH's tools on Saturday, so he can build for me. Actually, check that off--I took one minute and left a message. \:\)

Finances: plugging along decently there. I'm encouraged! We'll be using our flex medical account next week, as DD-12 finally gets her braces on! Woo Hoo!! It's been three years since the first consult, and she now has enough molars grown back in to actually attach things to. The orthodontist says we can expect 18-24 months to correct her overbite and tipped molars, then 2 years or so in retainers, and probably a permanent retainer behind her lower front teeth. The very cool thing: we'll have the entire thing paid for This Year. (The not-so-cool thing... we still won't break past the threshold to itemize, so it's not tax deductible at all. LOL

#176157 - 01/08/09 02:05 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: ElizabethClark]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Elizabeth: I am making a mountain out of a molehill, here, I guess. I just need to plan ahead a little bit better. It is easier to make a curried chicken sandwich at 6:30 a.m. if I have already cooked the chicken curry the night before! And in order to do that, I must have bought the chicken in the first place. ;\)

#176163 - 01/08/09 03:28 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: blessmymess]
STRIVING Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Bless: For me when my glucose levels are elevated, I'm very tired. So when you feel that way you may want to check.

#176257 - 01/09/09 12:37 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: STRIVING]
phantom37 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Kansas
Dianaro2: Happy belated birthday!

EC: I do like salads. I also really like peppers, I used to make stuffed peppers but haven't in awhile. THe roasted veggies you made sound great. I think I just need to be better with meal planning!

----------------------------

Environment still looks ok. I washed a rug and it came out a little wrinkled so I have stacks of books and things on top so it will lay flat. Other than that I did laundry last night so I am caught up.

Friends/Family: Going out tonight with my DGP's, DF and her parents for dinner. I picked Japanese and I am really looking forward to it!

Finances: I don't have much coming in, but not much is going out either. I did go shopping at T and their good deals, matched with my good coupons made for a very cheap total price!

Finances/School: Paid for my intro class. The school also sent me a debit/credit card application that I could sign up for, but I passed.

Health: Ate pretty well yesterday, except for the wafer cookies. I figured out how to operate my talking jump rope. After about 1 minute I was exhausted. I remember jumping rope all the time when I was a kid. Maybe I should go back to pilates.

Logic will get you from A to B. Creativity can take you anywhere. Albert Einstein

#176261 - 01/09/09 01:42 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: phantom37]
blessmymess Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Striving: Thanks for the tip. In the past, when I've felt tired and lacking energy, I've always eaten something! Usually something high in calories and carbs, too! Which, in hindsight, might have been the worst thing to do! Now, that I am being careful with my diet, I have to find alternate means of getting energized.

Environment: Cleared off the table in the family room yesterday evening. This is our landing pad/launch pad and turns into a clutter magnet in no time at all. And when it gets piled up with stuff, I get the feeling that the whole house is cluttered. But when it is cleared (or at least, the stuff is stacked in neat piles) I feel that order has been restored. What seemed like a huge pile of papers/mail was reduced to a small stack of things to be filed - MUCH more manageable.

The gardener came back after being off for 2 weeks and started pruning the rose bushes and weeding, etc. So, the garden is starting to look cared for, once again, as well.

Health: Really trying to eat a more healthy diet, in light of the recently diagnosed diabetes. Cutting down (not eliminating) on the carbs and portion sizes, trying to incorporate more whole grains and vegetables (I already eat plenty of fruit), trying to make wise food choices, and trying to drink plenty of water. Taking my medications; testing my blood sugar.

I seem to have lost 5 lbs. since Dec. 23; I was told that if I lost 10% of my body weight (= 18 lbs.), I'd start to see some real medical benefits. My goal is to lose 20 lbs (just 2 lbs. more than 10% of my body weight) by June. Ultimately, I'd like to lose 60 lbs. That would put me at the upper end of the ideal weight for my height.

Finances: Last week, I went shopping and bought 5 blouses and a pair of pants for $19.80, total. \:\) The pair of pants (originally priced: $19.99) was on sale for $2.10 as was one of the blouses (originally priced $11.99); 3 other blouses were priced $3.60 and the last blouse, a short-sleeved knitted top, originally priced at $29.99, was on sale for $4.80. Each of the items I bought will go with at least one other item already in my closet, so nothing will hang unworn. And I am pleased as punch to have been able to update my wardrobe for under $20.00! \:\)

ME-time: I'm taking the time to relax and knit in the evenings. I am making some knitted hats to send to my nieces for their children.

#176262 - 01/09/09 01:47 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: blessmymess]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Bless, How about a small handful of nuts? I keep almonds around and munch on those when I need a protein boost. I keep a small baggie in my car as well. I buy the ones they have in the baking aisle at Costco (where I know you shop!)

#176299 - 01/09/09 07:59 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Hello ladies, I just wanted to mention that I got a boost to my career side with an interview scheduled at a private school for kids with learning disabilities on Thursday, super excited but nervous too. It would be a great opportunity. Please cross your fingers and toes for me.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#176307 - 01/09/09 09:26 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: tinytina]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Oh, excellent, Tina! I'll cross my eyes, too, just to cover all the crossables. \:\)

Bless, dittos on adding a small portion of nuts as an energy booster. The healthy fats and protein are wonderful, and don't peak/fade like carbs will.

ChefSam, now I don't feel sorry for you one speck. \:\) Heh heh... I know what you mean about getting spoiled with rooms. Can you approach this new office as if it were not yours, necessarily? Are the walls a color you like? Can you move some art from other areas of the house, or get cheap matching frames to hang a bunch of family pictures in a "gallery" along one whole wall, about eye level? Getting some decorative bits in might help inspire you with the rest of the organization.

Oy--ate something I should not have for supper, and now I need something for a headache. That will feel better in 20 minutes or so. Environment is a little sketchy... it's the weekend, so there's laundry to do. Little piddly stuff to catch up on, mostly.

Work is plugging along really well... I'm getting in 2-3 hours of solid writing each day, even if those hours are usually after midnight. I'm going to try and get my days and nights the right way 'round while DH is off for the next 5 days. \:\)

Finances: went actual grocery shopping at my favorite store (hoorah bulk foods section!!!)... this is a tremendous help to the budget! Paid a bill this afternoon. Used cash for a hobby purchase, and for a gift for DH--a bag of poly pellets, with which I made a squongy cushion for under his elbow when he's at the computer. He whanged it pretty badly before Christmas, and the bone is still bruised. I poured the poly pellets into the foot of a sock that I hate (so it's been worn about twice, ever), then sewed it shut, doubled the ankle/calf back over the foot, and sewed that shut. He says it's lovely, and feels almost as comfortable as the packaged holiday fruit cake he had been using. And he is NOT kidding about having used the fruit cake. Seriously.

OH, I have such a grand idea for DD-3.75's #4 birthday!!!! I may go buy the first part of it this weekend, so I can match the play mat colors to the tea set. I have a coupon. \:\)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >