Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#176261 - 01/09/09 01:42 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: phantom37]
blessmymess Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: So. Cal.
Striving: Thanks for the tip. In the past, when I've felt tired and lacking energy, I've always eaten something! Usually something high in calories and carbs, too! Which, in hindsight, might have been the worst thing to do! Now, that I am being careful with my diet, I have to find alternate means of getting energized.

Environment: Cleared off the table in the family room yesterday evening. This is our landing pad/launch pad and turns into a clutter magnet in no time at all. And when it gets piled up with stuff, I get the feeling that the whole house is cluttered. But when it is cleared (or at least, the stuff is stacked in neat piles) I feel that order has been restored. What seemed like a huge pile of papers/mail was reduced to a small stack of things to be filed - MUCH more manageable.

The gardener came back after being off for 2 weeks and started pruning the rose bushes and weeding, etc. So, the garden is starting to look cared for, once again, as well.

Health: Really trying to eat a more healthy diet, in light of the recently diagnosed diabetes. Cutting down (not eliminating) on the carbs and portion sizes, trying to incorporate more whole grains and vegetables (I already eat plenty of fruit), trying to make wise food choices, and trying to drink plenty of water. Taking my medications; testing my blood sugar.

I seem to have lost 5 lbs. since Dec. 23; I was told that if I lost 10% of my body weight (= 18 lbs.), I'd start to see some real medical benefits. My goal is to lose 20 lbs (just 2 lbs. more than 10% of my body weight) by June. Ultimately, I'd like to lose 60 lbs. That would put me at the upper end of the ideal weight for my height.

Finances: Last week, I went shopping and bought 5 blouses and a pair of pants for $19.80, total. \:\) The pair of pants (originally priced: $19.99) was on sale for $2.10 as was one of the blouses (originally priced $11.99); 3 other blouses were priced $3.60 and the last blouse, a short-sleeved knitted top, originally priced at $29.99, was on sale for $4.80. Each of the items I bought will go with at least one other item already in my closet, so nothing will hang unworn. And I am pleased as punch to have been able to update my wardrobe for under $20.00! \:\)

ME-time: I'm taking the time to relax and knit in the evenings. I am making some knitted hats to send to my nieces for their children.

#176262 - 01/09/09 01:47 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: blessmymess]
Kimberly Purcell Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Folsom, CA
Bless, How about a small handful of nuts? I keep almonds around and munch on those when I need a protein boost. I keep a small baggie in my car as well. I buy the ones they have in the baking aisle at Costco (where I know you shop!)
facebook.com/amethystorganizing
twitter.com/amethystorganiz

#176299 - 01/09/09 07:59 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: Kimberly Purcell]
tinytina Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Hello ladies, I just wanted to mention that I got a boost to my career side with an interview scheduled at a private school for kids with learning disabilities on Thursday, super excited but nervous too. It would be a great opportunity. Please cross your fingers and toes for me.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
"Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another." -- Marva Collins

#176307 - 01/09/09 09:26 PM Re: The Fix: January Week One [Re: tinytina]
ElizabethClark Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
Oh, excellent, Tina! I'll cross my eyes, too, just to cover all the crossables. \:\)

Bless, dittos on adding a small portion of nuts as an energy booster. The healthy fats and protein are wonderful, and don't peak/fade like carbs will.

ChefSam, now I don't feel sorry for you one speck. \:\) Heh heh... I know what you mean about getting spoiled with rooms. Can you approach this new office as if it were not yours, necessarily? Are the walls a color you like? Can you move some art from other areas of the house, or get cheap matching frames to hang a bunch of family pictures in a "gallery" along one whole wall, about eye level? Getting some decorative bits in might help inspire you with the rest of the organization.

Oy--ate something I should not have for supper, and now I need something for a headache. That will feel better in 20 minutes or so. Environment is a little sketchy... it's the weekend, so there's laundry to do. Little piddly stuff to catch up on, mostly.

Work is plugging along really well... I'm getting in 2-3 hours of solid writing each day, even if those hours are usually after midnight. I'm going to try and get my days and nights the right way 'round while DH is off for the next 5 days. \:\)

Finances: went actual grocery shopping at my favorite store (hoorah bulk foods section!!!)... this is a tremendous help to the budget! Paid a bill this afternoon. Used cash for a hobby purchase, and for a gift for DH--a bag of poly pellets, with which I made a squongy cushion for under his elbow when he's at the computer. He whanged it pretty badly before Christmas, and the bone is still bruised. I poured the poly pellets into the foot of a sock that I hate (so it's been worn about twice, ever), then sewed it shut, doubled the ankle/calf back over the foot, and sewed that shut. He says it's lovely, and feels almost as comfortable as the packaged holiday fruit cake he had been using. And he is NOT kidding about having used the fruit cake. Seriously.

OH, I have such a grand idea for DD-3.75's #4 birthday!!!! I may go buy the first part of it this weekend, so I can match the play mat colors to the tea set. I have a coupon. \:\)

www.notmolly.wordpress.com

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3