Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#151036 - 03/24/08 11:21 PM Declutter Day
abundance1956 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Central Florida
About once a month, I put "declutter day" on one of my calendar day's (one I am home). This day is about getting things off surfaces, putting things away, but mainly just do it! (decluttering all house surfaces)

I put a laundry basket and trash bag downstairs and a laundry basket and trash bag or two upstairs, and walk around with the basket...putting things in the basket that are out of place or are just plain cluttered.

For me, getting them off the surfaces in one fell swoop is the biggest chores. Then I've put "put-away-item-day" on another day a few days later: and if I didn't have time to put away all the items in the basket, the first day: I do it at that time. I try to give away or throw away at least a 1/3 of each basket.

In between the two days, the baskets sit on my dryer (items waiting to be put away). I often will put away an item or two or three during phone calls, as I wander about the house!

#151056 - 03/25/08 10:25 AM Re: Declutter Day [Re: abundance1956]
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

That's great abundance! It is one of the biggest chores. You can't clean until you do that!

Once a month, on a house cleaning day, I will also declutter the hidden area of one room. I open cabinet doors or drawers or magazine baskets and take a peak. I pull out stuff or make sure it is stored where it should be. Keeping it up as a routine makes it not overwelming at all.

If I make it a point to do a different room each month, it helps maintain organization. It takes about 30 minutes extra when added to the cleaning schedule. But hey, 30 miutes extra once a month can mean many less hours of decluttering down the road!

#151057 - 03/25/08 10:34 AM Re: Declutter Day [Re: Lea Schneider]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho
abundance, that is a great way to do it! I don't schedule a day, it's more of a random "I can't stand this any longer" moment. I like the idea of scheduling a declutter day.

Lea, you are so right that you can't clean til you do declutter. I remember those days of trying to clean around clutter....it's no fun at all and still looks like nothing was done. I'm loving the clearer surfaces and hidden areas!
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

#151111 - 03/25/08 03:13 PM Re: Declutter Day [Re: BonnieS]
Chellybelly Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Maryland
Great idea abundance!

I love to declutter, but hate to clean!

Still, you can't clean until you declutter, so that is my excuse!

#151128 - 03/25/08 06:48 PM Re: Declutter Day [Re: Chellybelly]
abundance1956 Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Central Florida
yes, Chelly, but once you declutter: it's SO much easier to clean!! that cleaning is actually fun! (use "fun" cleaning products that you like and that make your house smell clean and nice!)

Edited by abundance1956 (03/25/08 06:49 PM)

#152301 - 04/04/08 09:31 PM Re: Declutter Day [Re: abundance1956]
CountryOrg Offline
Silver Member
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: A little town in Texas!
Neat idea! Any method that works for you and gets the clutter out of the house is a good way to do it!

#152805 - 04/09/08 12:30 PM Re: Declutter Day [Re: CountryOrg]
dianaro2 Online   content

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Illinois
Great ideas and suggestions.

#156378 - 05/14/08 09:20 PM Re: Declutter Day [Re: dianaro2]
Moonfire Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Midwest U.S.
That's a great idea. I think I may schedule a declutter day once a month after my move.

#156389 - 05/14/08 10:31 PM Re: Declutter Day [Re: abundance1956]
phichef Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: TN
abundance that's a great idea! I am still struggling to declutter and the cleaning I do is futile. I get one small clean spot that is overwhelmed by the surrounding clutter.

I would love to hear more clutter solutions!!

Chellybelly since you like to declutter, can you come live with me awhile?!?!? I really don't mind cleaning I just can't seem to get the clutter out!

#156424 - 05/15/08 11:10 AM Re: Declutter Day [Re: phichef]
Chellybelly Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Maryland
Pichef,
Sure! We would definitely work great together. I'd much rather declutter and organize, and when I'm done you can clean!

Decluttering my whole house is on my goal list for May. Need to START!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >