Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#107471 - 02/25/07 04:32 AM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: jasmin]
lynnim Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Iowa USA
I recycle cardboard takeout drinkholders into useful items. The thick flat ones like McD's I cut out each circle and place into mugs and penholders. Protects the bottom and catches ink leaks.

They can be used to start seeds.

The tall ones I cut off the handles and use them as drawer dividers like sock drawer, pantyhose dividers. If I cut one down to leave an x shape I put them into pencil holders so I can have compartments for each item, one for pens, one for markers, one for pencils one for hilighters, makes it easier to pull out just what I need.

"The man who got to the top of the mountain didn't fall there."

#107473 - 02/25/07 03:48 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: lynnim]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho
Great hints on re-using items....Keep these great tips coming...

God bless,

Bonnie
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

#107558 - 02/25/07 09:58 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: BonnieS]
elliotbob Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Ottawa Canada
I bought a tall 3-drawer see-thru Plexiglas in-box from Staples. Instead of using a cup to hold pens, I stuck a plastic see-thru soap dish with suction cups to the side of the in-box.

The soap dish has 20 drainage holes on the bottom. Each holes can hold 1 pen.

Skinny pens hang from the holes by their clips with their bottoms dangling underneath the dish. Fat pen stand upright in the holes with their tips in the holes.

It looks neat and is very handy.

By using the soap dish instead of a pencil cup there is one less thing cluttering up my desktop that has to be moved out of the way to dust.

#107662 - 02/26/07 01:21 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: jasmin]
LittleVoice Offline
Silver (25-49 Posts)

Loc: Uxbridge (greater London), UK
alcohol-based mouthwash - glass/computer screen cleaner or antiseptic to clean round wounds?

#107772 - 02/27/07 08:51 AM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: LittleVoice]
Waterlady Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New York
The cardboard takeout coffee holders (like the kinds from the deli are heavy cardboard) make great fire starters. Love the idea to put them in the pencil cup!! Mine always looks so yucky.

Out of clips for the potato chips-roll the top down and put a rubber band around the package. I use them in the freezer too when I pull out some frozen vegetables from a bag. Clips seem to get in the way when I'm stashing food back in the freezer. (groan,,, I need a new fridge desperately!!)

#107778 - 02/27/07 09:22 AM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: Waterlady]
lynnim Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Iowa USA
Waterlady like the idea as firestarters! I just got my fridge from freecycle, for 10.00 for delivery can't beat that. the one that was here was awful. My DD got a larger one yesterday from freecycle also.

Here's a pic of the inserts in case my description wasn't clear.

The carddboard came from a 4 cup coffee holder. The container is a candleholder orginally that I painted and crackled.

The result. \:\)

"The man who got to the top of the mountain didn't fall there."

#107825 - 02/27/07 12:00 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: lynnim]
Waterlady Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: New York
I have to seriously look for a fridge, thanks Lynimm, for the freecycle tip. I was looking in the paper.

I didn't want a brand new one but am so sick of this one (all the shelves in the freezer are broken but one, and all the door shelves in the freezer are gone)TY to the tenants. Plus, regardless of the baking soda boxes, I can still taste an "odor"?? in the food that I wrap and put in there. Ya know what I mean-I call it refrigerator taste. I don't think I'll buy a side by side again, cant fit anything in it. (like trays of food)

#107837 - 02/27/07 12:36 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: jasmin]
fabroom Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Loc: Oberlin, Ohio, USA
I am not the originator of this idea (I saw it in a magazine), but it was a very pretty themed office:

use an old muffin pan as a desk drawer divider for rubber bands, stamps, etc.

tea cups on a shelf can hold paperclips, tacks, other office supplies

old silver forks mounted on the wall can hold small notes between the prongs

frame lace doilies as artwork
http://www.fabulousroom.com

#108047 - 02/28/07 10:31 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: fabroom]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Canada
Has anyone got any unusual ideas for using discarded pill containers? I know they are great for holding beads, seeds, nails, and so on.

Mine are quite colourful and sometimes when I want to take a wee bouquet of lilies of the valley or violets, I wrap the stems in wet paper towel and sit them in a blue or pink pill container. It makes an instant vase for any recipient, who may be in hospital or a care home.

I also keep one to use for bent pins, broken sewing needles, discarded razor or exacto blades, half open staples, with the lid firmly locked on. I don't like to put these harmful objects straight into the garbage, so I toss the whole thing after a while and start a new one.

#108302 - 03/02/07 08:06 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: Bushlady]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Canada
Dismantling the packaging from new pairs of men's socks today reminded me that I have sometimes used the strong plastic display hooks instead of S hooks, to hang things from wire shelving.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >