Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#175219 - 12/29/08 03:52 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: BonnieS]
Julie H Offline
Gold (50-99 Posts)

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
In my dad's workshop, he nailed a board into the wall and glued the tops of baby food cans underneath. He stored lots of little screws and nails in each of them. That is similar to some of the ideas I'm reading about here.

Julie

#175252 - 12/30/08 02:09 AM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: Julie H]
beachmum Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: UK
I like to use old pillowcases to store rolled up duvets in the airing cupboard - eg my summer weight one will roll up and store neatly that way, also useful for sleeping bags which do not have their own bags, spare blankets etc. I can even keep all my christmas linens (towels, oven gloves etc) together that way.

#220825 - 10/23/10 07:54 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: beachmum]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Canada
It's two years since the last posting on this thread and I'll bet there are some new ideas out there worth sharing.

Just to start the ball rolling, here is another use for an empty pill container, that I had forgotten about. For years, in my travel toiletries bag, I have kept a small pill container filled with cotton swabs. They stay clean and tidy for when one is needed.

#221053 - 10/28/10 09:11 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: Bushlady]
simplicity Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: University Park, MD
I've used post-it notes as bookmarks.

#221054 - 10/28/10 10:23 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: simplicity]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho
I use an empty pill container (cleaned out of course) for carrying toothpicks in my purse. Sometimes it's hard to find toothpicks at fast food places (thinking of one that does awesome mission style burritos) so having a supply in my purse is great. The childproof cap is good for making sure they stay in the container.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

#221098 - 10/29/10 06:06 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: BonnieS]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Simplicity, that's another one I had forgotten about. Post-its are especially great for marking pages in catalogues or cookbooks.

#240201 - 12/28/11 09:50 AM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: Bushlady]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

I was looking for an old topic on repurposing and came across this one.

I was given a real treasure by DGD - a mitten shaped ceramic dish that she had decorated herself with a hand print and other designs, at a children's workshop. I put it out with candies on it, but I can't see leaving it out as a candy dish all year. But it will make a perfect spoon rest and then I can enjoy it all the time. I like a large spoon rest that will take a spatula as well as spoons.

My previous "spoon rest" was a little "party plate" with a hole in it so that one can hold a glass at the same time. A friend gave it to me several years ago, and I knew it needed to do more than clutter up my cupboard. That one will now sit by the microwave where I need to set down a spoon sometimes.

#240205 - 12/28/11 10:58 AM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: Bushlady]
Lea Schneider Offline

Platinum (100+ Posts)

I love this!

I have a tall, crystal vase that doesn't get used much. I recently put it on my kitchen counter with my vitamins in it. (they are wrapped chocolate chewables in silver foil). It doesn't take up much counterspace and looks pretty.

#240240 - 12/29/11 10:15 AM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: Lea Schneider]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Mmmm, chocolate vitamins in silver foil! How come mine are so boring? They must look really pretty in a crystal vase.

I must replenish a favourite storage item in the kitchen. It is a ceramic jar for brown coffee sugar which says "Fortnum and Mason" on the blue and white design. After the rubber seal perished on the wooden lid, I started to use it to keep some Band-aids in. The kitchen is the place where I am most likely to need one in a hurry.

#240768 - 01/06/12 03:56 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: Bushlady]
Kelekona Offline
Bronze (Newbie)

I thought I was off-the-wall, but I can't think of much. I started keeping a kitty-litter jug or few for emergency flush-water. I use a kitty-litter bucket for my recycling bin. It's going to be more kitty-litter jugs full of water to get the full-freezer effiency. (More flush-water if things get bad enough for a freezer to completely fail when half of the volume is pure ice and the rest is food.)

I used an old pyrex test tube for my tatting needles and the few superfine crochet hooks that I stole from my mother's set. I gave up the rest of the tubes when it became more efficient to store beads in unused weed bags.

I do have a few altoid-sized tins, but it seems that their most noble purpose is to refill them with the product that they used to contain. (Or colored pencils in the case of my mega-altoids tin, I sold the mints that came in it for a price that seemed to satisfy both parties.)

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >