Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#106539 - 02/19/07 01:23 AM New Uses For Familiar Things
musicimprovedme Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Lufkin TX
I thought this might be a good topic, probably has been in the past. It seems appropriate because if we can find a way to repurpose something then it isn't clutter anymore and we don't have to part with it, or beg someone else to take it from us, or turn it over to Mother Earth in a landfill.

So what are your favs? Maybe can all learn a few tricks about stuff you use a different way than its intended purpose.

I like different kinds of containers:
Dishpans for caddies and drawers in a kid-friendly shelf unit.
Zipper bags for cosmetics and travel sorters.
Laundry baskets for organization sorting, temporary help.

I usually mop with the wastebaskets from around the house full of cleaning solution instead of a traditional bucket. This way, I deodorize and disinfect the wastebasket too, then just wipe it out and rinse it off. It doesn't roll but it's no big deal to scoot it along with me.

I use grocery sacks as trash liners in those wastebaskets. I know everyone does this.

You can stuff a throw pillow with grocery sacks, it is great for soft baby toys and stuffies, it gives the extra stimulation of a rattly noise that gets their little minds wondering.

Laser pointer makes a great toy for cats.

Ice trays for sorting tiny items like jewelry. Bonus, they stack.

Baby food jars with the lid screwed to a board makes a great hardware sorter for nails and screws, hooks, etc.

You can use underwear elastic as a rubber band for bigger items in storage...such as an off season throw rug or kid art.

That will get the ball started, who else is clever?

#106553 - 02/19/07 06:31 AM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: musicimprovedme]
elliotbob Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Ottawa Canada
CD holder as a rack for storing plastic lids in kitchen cupboard

3-ring binder diskette plastic sheets to keep stamps, small instruction manuals, passport etc. organized in EO household notebook

#106693 - 02/19/07 10:32 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: elliotbob]
beaglelady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Waterford, MI
I have a laundry basket on my fridge that holds bags of chips, bread, croutons. Keeps it handy without the piles that look so unsightly.

I bought some thick square trivets(cork pads about a half inch thick with rounded edges) that I put up on the wall behind my desk under the window that I use as a memo board. Works great as the smaller size fit perfectly in the limited space I had. Fastened it to the wall with a screw and a simple washer so the screw would not go through the cork_looks modern and is very functional and also cheap!

#106705 - 02/20/07 03:54 AM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: beaglelady]
musicimprovedme Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Lufkin TX
Good ideas yall, I used to keep a laundry basket on the fridge for tupperware. It was so handy, then I decluttered everything in the kitchen and found a different home for them tucked away. Still it was a very functional storage use. I use laundry baskets to sort things ALL the time, and as gatherers for anything I need to put away.

Neat idea with the trivets to cork board! Very slick!

#106712 - 02/20/07 08:11 AM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: musicimprovedme]
lynnim Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Iowa USA
Before you toss old sheets,torn into strips,and braided, they make nice pet toys or rags for yukky jobs like polishing jewelry or working with paint and chemicals. Disposable.

Cover outdoor cords with old garden hoses slit down the length.

If you have a ton of plastic shopping bags, I filled a bean bag with them once. So much easier than those peanuts.

Extra combs(especially metal pet combs) can be tucked into cleaning baskets to clean out work brushes, vaccum cleaner brushes. Or in yuor tool box to spread glues, putty etc.

I keep popsicle sticks in the glue drawer for that also.

Instead of expensive blue ice, soda pop bottles filled with water and frozen work in coolers or in your grocery tote to keep cold foods cold.

If you find you don't use your electric coffee warmer(the little round ones with a plug to keep a cup of coffee warm, use it as a candle holder warmer to fragrance your house, just place a scented candle or oil in the holder.

"The man who got to the top of the mountain didn't fall there."

#106814 - 02/20/07 05:43 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: lynnim]
BonnieS Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Idaho
I'm sure everyone has seen this one before, but you can use dryer sheets (I believe this even works with the used ones) to keep the static down on the tv screen...just use one to dust the screen...would probably work well on computer monitors too.

God bless,

Bonnie
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

#106838 - 02/20/07 07:55 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: BonnieS]
hartbe Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: indiana
I keep a small laundry basket in the trunk of my car. It has my snow boots, a winter hood with attached scarf, a pair of gloves, & my window scraper in it.

#106860 - 02/20/07 10:27 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: hartbe]
Cyd Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: W. Canada
DH re-purposed a length of leaky garden hose by spliting and cutting into appropriate lengths to cover the rail of hangers. Now slacks no longer slip off or have 'hanger' crease marks. I use a couple of lengths to keep spaghetti strap dresses from sliding off.

#107429 - 02/24/07 09:11 PM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: Cyd]
Bushlady Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: Canada
Whenever DH discards elasticized belts, I cut off the buckle and end off each one and join the remaining wide elastic into a continuous band. These are useful to secure storage boxes or keep sleeping bags neatly rolled when the strings have given up.

My deep freezer is too big for two of us, so I collected square 4 litre icecream containers from friends and filled each one with water. They now cover the bottom of the freezer, which is economical, since a half-empty freezer would cost more to keep cool. Also I don't have to dip in so deep to find things.

#107461 - 02/25/07 02:26 AM Re: New Uses For Familiar Things [Re: Bushlady]
jasmin Offline
Platinum (100+ Posts)

Loc: India
I have an hot pot which does not keep the food hot any more. I use this hot pot to store coriander and curry leaves in the fridge. These things stay fresh for almost three weeks When stored this way. Just cut two papers to the dia of the hot pot and put one in the bottom of the hot pot and the other one on top of the leaves before closing the pot.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >